Author Topic: My camu camu seedlings  (Read 3970 times)

dogbane

• USA
    • View Profile
My camu camu seedlings
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
Here are some recent pictures of my Myrciaria dubia (Camu Camu) plants. I am growing all three of them under the same conditions.

I always use distilled water to irrigate them and never tap water because of the chlorine and because it will probably raise the soil ph.

The soil I am using is happy frog organic potting soil mixed (50/50) with peat moss.

I use happy frog acid loving fertilizer and I spray the leaves occasionally with chelated iron.   

One of my plants as you can see has iron chlorosis. I think it's genetic.  Any ideas anyone?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: My camu camu seedlings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
some of these deficiencies might be nutrients other than Fe....
ive noticed some seedlings get chlorotic and others are more resilient...maybe individual variation, or environmental factors.

i think drenching with chelated Fe is most effective...not so much as a foliar spray.

keep an eye out, i notice this species is frequently attacked by a type of scale insect that i've never seen on any other myrciaria in FL.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:48:54 AM »
So you feel the drench is better?  I know it would be better for me versus spraying.  It stains everything it touches and doing so inside the greenhouse...touches everything!  Probably best to just stick with spraying the micro nut mix.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
So you feel the drench is better?  I know it would be better for me versus spraying.  It stains everything it touches and doing so inside the greenhouse...touches everything!  Probably best to just stick with spraying the micro nut mix.

I was told to always drench (by Chris Rollins)...I believe this is because the problem originates in the soil, and about the roots (where the pH is usually too high)...all of the chelated Fe products I use have instructions that recommend drenching to treat chlorosis.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »
This past Spring my plants needed the soils renewed, and I figured they needed more peat moss to keep the pots light. I was wrong. It compacted making watering difficult, because it needs to moisten before it will absorb the water, even when mixed with the other mulch and perlite. The tops would then grow moss or mold. Then it would dry, forming cakes. I made a big switch and reduced my peat moss to a very small portion of the mix.

On top of the problem of soil, the plants themselves were turning chlorotic like in your picture. As previously stated, the peat makes the ph pretty high. I put some garden lime in my new mix to help. When the ph isn't correct, the plant doesn't uptake the needed nutrients, because the nutrients are "locked out". I switched to dyna gro as well, and many of my plants are back to green.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:51:10 AM »
I have mine in 60% fox farm ocean forest and 40% peat moss (Ph 5.2 and the other one is 5.8 ) that I soaked in water for a week before thoroughly mixing it with the potting soil and my camu are doing awesome, ones grown 8 shoots since I transplanted them a month ago and the others are starting to follow. I also water them twice a day with rain water to keep them drenched and fertilized them with earth juice grow and microblast every 3 weeks and they seem to like it. I have one in sand that is about 3 inches big and 2 years old that hasn't grown in over a year and seems to be stunted also the sand is always dry. Another one I have in 7.0PH potting soil from lowes and its growing slowly with signs of deficiencies. so In my experience mid to low PH with plenty of organic matter and nutrients (bat guano, kelp, earthworm castings, micronutrients)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
Excuse me, I meant to say that the peat makes ph low. I used garden lime to raise the ph to normal level.

dogbane

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
I try to keep my camu camu seedlings well watered.   I watered mine the other night and then put it back outside. The next morning two or three fully developed leaves near the apical meristem were droopy.  It has been cool at night here in Florida but not anything near freezing. 

My plant may have been shocked a little but its been outside when it has been cool before. 

The main growth point seems like it may be wilted but I can't tell yet. 

I checked again when I got home from work tonight and the leaves are back to normal but I am not so sure about the main shoot with new developing leaves. It still looks wilted or dry. 

If the main growth point dies will it regrow from the side buds? 

I had to put my plants inside a week or so ago once because of the cold and i put them in a bathtub that still had some water.   I was worried it may have sucked up some of the water.   

The leaves on both of my plants were black but it seemed like it didn't affect the main growing point leaves.   

I am being more careful next time.  I never water them using tap water but I had to put them someplace inside. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
Excuse me, I meant to say that the peat makes ph low. I used garden lime to raise the ph to normal level.

Yes, peat moss is acid, so makes the soil lower pH. But camu camu likes very low soil pH. So adding peat moss is very beneficial. Just drench the peat moss first before adding it to your soil mix.
Camu camu normally grows along river banks in Amazon, where there is high percentage of organic matter (low pH) and the plants are usually flooded for many months at a time. So needless to say, they like a lot of water.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:03:25 AM »
They are hardy too, Ive had one in 7.6ph sand lose all its leaves and looked like a stick so I stopped watering it and when it started raining a lot it actually came back and is growing nice again. They also like full sun, just try to always keep it watered.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
I have 2 in the ground , close to 3 meters tall , no fruit so far . The 2 nd one was planted in an area that is constantly wet ( next to a waterfall ) this plant is a lot younger ( several years ) and grows faster than the first . The first plant , right next to a M. vexator ( which also loves a lot of water ) is kinda neglected and only gets water when I remember , still , it is very healthy and can stand prolonged droughts .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
how long do these seeds take to sprout?

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »
Ive had some sprout in 2 months and had some sprout almost a year later, Ive let them dry out in the pot because I thought they were duds and only received water when it rained and Ive had some I kept in a bucket filled with dirt and water that was always flooded and still sprouted all at random times in both. Sprouted them in sand 8.0ph and 4.8 PH mud. Pretty hardy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk