Author Topic: Best Places in San Diego?  (Read 3692 times)

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Best Places in San Diego?
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:42 AM »
Going to Quail Gardens soon, any other good Gardens/Nurserys near San Diego to check out? 

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Places in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
Check out Exotica Nursery in Vista.  Their collection is amazing (if a bit disorganized).

If you'd like to see some amazing giant old White Sapote trees, go by Clausen Nursery (which is otherwise a pretty conventional nursery).

City Farmers is kind of interesting because it's a dense nursery / homestead shop in a urban part of San Diego.

I've heard good things about Ong's Nursery for its selection, but my understanding it's more of a suburban house lot with trees in containers than an open-space nursery.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
If you want to purchase fruit trees, exotica, Ongs nursery, California tropical fruit tree nursery and Atkins nursery are a few places you may want to check out. Is there a particular tree you are looking for?

Simon

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Are there any nice gardens or farms to visit in SD?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »

Fallbrook and vista is the mecca for top tier Mangos, Cherimoyas, and Lychee...... Atkins Nursery, Louies nursery, Exotica Nursery, Clausens nursery....You will even find a few Zill varieties at Exotica.

San Diego really doesnt have anything exotic...except for ONG...but I'm not sure if their varieties are true to name...I've never been there...but after speaking with them over the phone...They sound a bit sketchy...
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
San Diego really doesnt have anything exotic...except for ONG...but I'm not sure if their varieties are true to name...I've never been there...but after speaking with them over the phone...They sound a bit sketchy...

I learned that his wife knows almost nothing about the plants. Maybe communication be better if I understood vietnamese since their names are different than our fruit names.
Ong does know if you speak to him. He's mostly not there, so call ahead.

Also, I heard Roger Meyer's is worth a visit if you pass by Fountain Valley.

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »

If you haven't been Quail Gardens,  that's one of the best.   All sorts of exotics fruit trees, bamboo and palms.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
Roger Myers has practically the entire Cherimoya catalog of top tier grafted varieties....great guy for sub-tropicals...sorry I left him out. He mainly specializes in rare Kiwis and different jujubes
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »

Fallbrook and vista is the mecca for top tier Mangos, Cherimoyas, and Lychee...... Atkins Nursery, Louies nursery, Exotica Nursery, Clausens nursery....You will even find a few Zill varieties at Exotica.

Thanks Clay! How far is vista and fallbrook from each other? Is there a closer way to get there from LA?

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15:44 AM »
Exotica is both a garden and a nursery; they have a huge variety of very old fruit trees, and flowering trees, planted in the ground. So it's the best way of seeing what the plants can eventually get like and to sample the fruit when in season. They even have two canistel trees in-ground, which I was surprised to discover, because pouteria are really rare here. And they don't sell any.

"Tropical fruit tree" nursery is much more open and not garden-like but they do have a good number of trees in-ground such as a mature Sabara jaboticaba. That nursery propagates and grows tons of them so they are an excellent source for that tree in any size, including relatively large ones.

Ong is the best source for wax jambu; he imports the latest and best cultivars from southeast asia. Many are sweet and juicy and taste like honey and/or apple when properly ripe. He also has a lot of atemoya and some very healthy and productive carambolas, which I mention because that's a really hard tree to find in any nursery around here. But usually he's not at the nursery and only his mom is, who speaks almost no English and knows nothing about the plants.

For flowering or foliage plants I also like to go to Kartuz (primarily a mail-order nursery with very rare tropical plants), Brigg's, Evergreen, or Andersen.

Oh, and the best garden of all (aside from possibly Quail which I haven't been to yet) is the San Diego Zoo. They have a dense and very diverse selection of plants and should not be overlooked. That includes some fruit trees scattered about. There's no plant map that I'm aware of though so you just have to wander.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »

Thanks Clay! How far is vista and fallbrook from each other? Is there a closer way to get there from LA?

Socal Tropics...LA is about maybe and 1 hour and 30 minutes from Fallbrook depending on where you're at and how bad traffic is.....Vista is a little below Fallbrook. I would hop on the I-15 and take it down until you hit Fallbrook....Vista you have to jump on a few more highways I think. Both of these places are a  lot closer than San Diego for sure if your coming from LA.

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
If you check out crfg.org and look at the member nurseries there are some listed there that are in sd. The ones mentioned are great, you can also call Ben poirer, in fallbrook or Vista (sorry I don't remember which) his place is pretty amazing and he sells lots of meat stuff as well as has a lot in the ground. Also Leo Manuel in Rancho penasquitos is usually up for a visit. Lots of mangoes, Dragon fruit, a large lychee and a bunch of other stuff. It's his house, so look him up and send him an email.

One place I haven't been but wanted to go was encanto farms in encanto.
He specializes in figs and bananas, but had other stuff as well.

Man, I've only been gone for a month or so, and I already miss everything..... like warm weather...

Be sure to post a trip report when you get back with lots of pics!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk