Author Topic: Green Sapote's in California  (Read 2731 times)

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Green Sapote's in California
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has fruited a Green Sapote in CA?   I know Papaya Tree Nursery has a dwarf variety in the ground, but he said it only has one fruit per year or so. 

I saw a few people have them growing well in pots, has anyone fruited one?   

....So far mine has put on a lot of growth, and flowered, but I've only had it one season.    Another "Red Fasion" seedling I bought on ebay, has just withered since I got it, but it's still alive!   Also curious if anyone has done any work on these? 

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Green Sapote's in California
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
Quail Gardens (aka San Diego Botanic Garden) has two fruiting Green Sapote. One is a Makawawo (sp?) and the other is an oblong fruit of unknown variety.  I do have to say that I have had both fruit and they do not seem to get completely ripe on the coast.

Richard

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
Interesting, You don't happen to know what time of year they ripen do you?   

I know there are a few more growers here, anyone else have experiences with them fruiting?

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Interesting, You don't happen to know what time of year they ripen do you?   

I know there are a few more growers here, anyone else have experiences with them fruiting?

Do the fruits fall out prematurely? I recently planted a grafted variety, now i am worried.

sg128

• Port Hueneme, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
I have a small grafted tree which I planted in the ground and is going through a really bad case of transplant shock. I'm desperately trying to keep it alive but if it's true about the poor fruit-set and fruit not ripening properly then I may not even bother. I live about a mile and a half from the coast...

SocalTropics

• LA County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:50:10 PM »
I have a small grafted tree which I planted in the ground and is going through a really bad case of transplant shock. I'm desperately trying to keep it alive but if it's true about the poor fruit-set and fruit not ripening properly then I may not even bother. I live about a mile and a half from the coast...

Similar experience with a seedling, you should move it into a pot asap, it should grow back quickly with nutritious soil.

sg128

• Port Hueneme, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »

Similar experience with a seedling, you should move it into a pot asap, it should grow back quickly with nutritious soil.

I'll give that a shot. I'm sure if it stays in the ground it'll just continue to decline... :(

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Here's a pic of a big Green Sapote at Quail Gardens,  If you look closely you can see some fruit.  ....It actually had a lot of fruit, no ripe ones or I would have picked one. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk