Author Topic: Red Navel  (Read 8460 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: Red Navel
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
I've had no variation in colors between red naval regardless what climate I've grown them in between zones 8b through 10b.

I agree with Millets assessment.  You have a Washington Naval.

Now, you need to buy another tree.  Red Naval is 2x better than Washington to my taste buds.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
Tropheus76, Cara Cara navel oranges may appear similar to Ruby Red grapefruit, but other than color and being citrus fruits, they are not the same, and not due to being crossed.  Cara Cara navel oranges are a result of a mutation of a navel orange tree that was found in Venezuela.  Cara Cara oranges are sweet and their beautiful color comes from lycopene and beta Carotene.

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
Galka, that is an interesting story about the one odd fruit on your tree, keep us posted, it sounds like you have a new variety.  I've read that citrus tends to be influenced by other citrus.  Those growing near each other can develop traits of other types. Maybe at the nursery your tree was growing near something that influenced its development. There is a variety called "Honey Sweet" that someone was offering for sale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk