Author Topic: Anyone have any experience buying Mango trees on EBAY?  (Read 23790 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Anyone have any experience buying Mango trees on EBAY?
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
I notice there is a seller going by Tropical treasure, selling literally the entire Zill collection for Mangos for a little cheaper than any other online retailer out there with dirt cheap shipping!!! Is it too good to be true or what? I need to another Carrie after last winter.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any experience buying Mango trees on EBAY?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »
link?

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 01:42:55 AM »
Isn't this the same?

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9637.msg123037#msg123037

Yes that is them! so it seems legit... HMMM...looks like someone is undercutting the nurseries; my pockets like it!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »
I notice there is a seller going by Tropical treasure, selling literally the entire Zill collection for Mangos for a little cheaper than any other online retailer out there with dirt cheap shipping!!! Is it too good to be true or what? I need to another Carrie after last winter.

Clay,
They are a great vendor.  I've bought many trees from them.  It is probably best to buy trees from them in cooler months, as it takes 5 days (ship Monday, arrive Friday) to get to Cali across Highway 10.
Warren

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:56:07 AM »
I have ordered a few mango from the seller.  Was not packed as well as TT but is still good packing.  All the mango survived and doing well.  Appears legit and plants are as described though her photos are way off from the real thing.  Not a bad deal for californians
Robert

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »
every one I have ordered online has been tiny, I mean real tiny, as in "the graft has just taken"
Would rather get from Top Trop as you can tell by shipping charge how big the tree is, for 3 gal.
Trop treasure on ebay takes forever to respond, like days or weeks.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Clay
I just bought 7gal Maha Chanok and 7 gal Emporer lychee tree from there

Super good plants big and healthy and they were just deliver this sat

Really like the service and she gave me pics for the plants to do the selection

Packing , was no where close to TT, and they ship without pot

Plus , i think there plants are not certified to be shipped to Cali, so there might be a risk for not getting delivered , so talk to them before buying

But the price is awesome , I think I have paid 45% of the price from TT

I am in process of ordering more from them

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 10:35:13 AM »
Whose mangoes are legally certified to ship to California  (keep in mind i said legally ).
- Rob

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
Whose mangoes are legally certified to ship to California  (keep in mind i said legally ).

:)
True

nartac

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »
I just purchased a 7 gallon Sia Tong mango myself from them.  Plant arrived in excellent condition.  This is the first time I purchased plants online so can't comment on packing but my mango plant arrived without problems.  Leaves were green and not wilted.  Comes with instructions to repot and acclimate the plant.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
since I bought a few already, she gives me a big discount over the general prices that she's asking..

Here's my latest purchase (I told her to ship in later May because my wife is having another baby - tradition of not "disturbing the soil" during pregnancy)

7 gallon Coconut Cream
7 gallon Lemon Zest
7 gallon Sweetheart Lychee
7 gallon Jaboticaba
3 gallon Thousand Island Banana

anyone take a guess as to how much including shipping?  ;D

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
Left - 7 gallon Coconut Cream (I killed mine just recently - the inside trunk turned black and the trunk/leaves started to shrivel - I think I watered that particular plant too much - all other plants are ok)
Right - 7 gallon Lemon Zest

I had to copy/paste from the pictures she sent me.. for me, the pictures usually what is received in the package, except of course for leaves that fall out.. but that's not her problem.. sometimes the package stays an extra day or so in delivery time.. none of the plants I have ordered from her (which is most of what I have) have died due to delivery problems  ;D.. I'm responsible for all the killing (like above)  :P

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:57:19 AM by michsu »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »
Those trunks look like a young 3g sized trunk..

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
Last week i saw a grafted pineapple pleasure mangotree on ebay. It was 40-50 bucks if i remember well. I don't hear much about that one last months but it was one of the top mango's according to many members.

Maybe i will order it if i see it again. It was from the US.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:52 AM »
she has a pineapple please mango too.. I think it is in a 3 gallon container, that's why it was only 40-50 bucks + shipping.. that's a good one too? wow, there's so many mangos to collect then..

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
ClayMango, the trunks will get much thicker after one year in the ground, so don't worry.. if you have the skills, then there's nothing to worry about.. haha, I'm not calling you out  ;D.. I rather buy a 3 gallon pot and learn from the "journey", then buy a 50 gallon pot and have it fruit right away.. anyone can buy a 50 gallon pot and get fruit but it's no fun..

I put the plants under a "strength training" workout to get bigger trunks.. at least 20 pushups and sit-ups a day for them.. it should be bigger as well by the end of one year's time (June 2015).. give me another year, and this trunk will be wider than your hand..  ;)

For example,

Sarnejta (I keep spelling it wrong, but you know what I mean) Custard Apple - bought/planted in June 2014

Last month - February 2015 (less than one year in the ground)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:31:45 AM by michsu »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
she has a pineapple please mango too.. I think it is in a 3 gallon container, that's why it was only 40-50 bucks + shipping.. that's a good one too? wow, there's so many mangos to collect then..

Yes pineapple pleasure was a very good mango but didn't fruit regularly if i recall well.

3 gallon is a big large to send for such long distance, maybe i should ask for the smallest one. I didn't see that tree again on ebay this week, i will keep an eye on it.

michsu

• View Profile

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
here you go.. you are right.. $45..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pineapple-Pleasure-Mango-3-gallon-Grafted-/121599687149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4fe7f9ed

Yes this was the one. Hmm but that's a big tree to stuff in a box. That will raise eyebrows. I will ask my friends in S-Francisco if they can bring it to me.

But for you this is a great mango for your collection, google on the forum for reviews. I think it was the winner last year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »

Yes pineapple pleasure was a very good mango but didn't fruit regularly if i recall well.

3 gallon is a big large to send for such long distance, maybe i should ask for the smallest one. I didn't see that tree again on ebay this week, i will keep an eye on it.

Again, spewing your usual garbage.  You are a joke...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »
here you go.. you are right.. $45..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pineapple-Pleasure-Mango-3-gallon-Grafted-/121599687149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4fe7f9ed

Yes this was the one. Hmm but that's a big tree to stuff in a box. That will raise eyebrows. I will ask my friends in S-Francisco if they can bring it to me.

But for you this is a great mango for your collection, google on the forum for reviews. I think it was the winner last year.

Do you even read what you are typing and what you have typed before posting your garbage...
- Rob

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
so pineapple pleasure is not that great?  :o oh well, I'll have a few new plants to deal with this time so I can't worry about that..  ;D

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
so pineapple pleasure is not that great?  :o oh well, I'll have a few new plants to deal with this time so I can't worry about that..  ;D

There are varied opinions on this variety.  Keep in mind some just make senseless comments cause it is a newer Zill variety so that means it is a "top tier, loved by all mango".  Many love it but there have been a number of people who don't.  It does have a distinct pineapple flavor but it also has a high acidic component.  There are a lot of people who love that but many do not like/appreciate a mango with that level of acidicty.

As far as production, people need to stop comparing everything to a Pickering in terms of how young/small it can be to set fruit.  Mangoes in 7 gal pots should not be let to set and hold fruit.  These trees are far too young to have them and judge them on reliable production.  Trees of that size and age need to develop.  Trees should not be judged till they are upwards of 7 years or so.  These arent tomato plants, they are trees.  Give them time to develop and they will reward you in the long run.  Do not look for instant rewards from a 3 or 7 gal plant and do not judge them after being in the ground for only 2-4 years.  Its just not sufficient time for most varieties.  Also, the fruit quality from most young mangoes is subpar and not representative of the variety.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:53:10 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
My pineapple pleasure is holding a decent crop this year (so far).  They are currently about two inches in diameter. The tree itself is about 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide.  The trunk is about 5 inches in diameter.  I agree with Rob, the breeding program consists of more than just the taste of the mangoes. Lots of trees were chopped down due to lack of production in the process of selection.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:36:35 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk