Author Topic: Wanted : Cotton candy grape & Witch Finger grape cuttings  (Read 24413 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted : Cotton candy grape & Witch Finger grape cuttings
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
They had these at Publix in South east Florida last year, devoured bag after bag. Had some a few weeks ago while on vacation in North Cali, saw them at a place called Berkley Bowl (in Berkley of course). Saw them, grabbed one, gave it to my cousin to try and asked him what does this taste like, his head snapped back LOL "Holy crap that tastes like cotton candy"   Showed em the bag, needless to say he bought several bags for family we had coming into to town to try LOL  I have been curious about the witch finger. But gumdrop??

tonythegrower

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
when/where do they sell these fruits in socal markets?

I was wondering if you can send me these cuttings. I want to try and see if i can grow them myself. i would appreciate it

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »
Since I am home all day long (very boring), I wouldn't mind trying to propagate from stem cuttings  as well, if someone had a few cuttings they could spare.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
I'm assuming these vines are patented and are not likely to be available any time soon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
- Rob

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
This might give us hope... I'll have to check Berkely (about 1 hour away) but I would also be interested in some stems.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 03:08:29 AM »
It's way past grape season here. I don't think you will find them in the northern hemisphere this time of year.

Good luck to you with propagation. It's something I'd like to do but never got into.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
Do they come true from seeds? I planted some. They are so tiny that I am not sure if they will even sprout at all.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
Do they come true from seeds? I planted some. They are so tiny that I am not sure if they will even sprout at all.

You actually found seeds in the Cotton Candy grapes?  Were they fully developed?
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Yes, Rob, I have found some and I think they are fully developed. Will see how they sprout.  I will report here then.

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
I Just ordered Witch Finger Grape (aka Tear Drop) cuttings off Amazon.com . I hope I can get them to grow. Should I try to root them or graft them?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
I Just ordered Witch Finger Grape (aka Tear Drop) cuttings off Amazon.com . I hope I can get them to grow. Should I try to root them or graft them?

So you are saying/thinking/assuming the cuttings sold on amazon is the Grapery's Witch's Finger, now kbown as teardrop, grape?  No guarantee I am right but being a naysayer and a realist, doubt it is one and the same.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140013474
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:38:35 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
Can't help it, I have hope. Either way, it will give me something to do. I just got home from the beach here in Central Florida and pulled up 8 medium sized papaya plants from a vacant lot (one male, the rest females). Would loved to have gotten the larger ones (they already had fruit on them) but with the heavy fog, they were just too slippery to get a good grip on. Either way, can't beat free plants!!

animegypsy

• Bentonville, AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Did anyone get cuttings or stems to sprout?   I'd be interested in buying some if they did.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
Is it a patented variety? Seems like the creator doesn't want it to get out there. The grapes are grown here in SoCal.

I asked a guy that works with some of the vineyards in Bakersfield to bring me some cuttings. He told me that all commercially grown grape varieties are patented. He said he would bring me a few but not Cotton Candy or some variety called "Mango". He said they were EXTREMELY protective of those varieties and could get in trouble. Told him it was ok, if they were patented I didn't want any, as I didn't want him, or myself for that matter, to have any problems.

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »
Is it a patented variety? Seems like the creator doesn't want it to get out there. The grapes are grown here in SoCal.

I asked a guy that works with some of the vineyards in Bakersfield to bring me some cuttings. He told me that all commercially grown grape varieties are patented. He said he would bring me a few but not Cotton Candy or some variety called "Mango". He said they were EXTREMELY protective of those varieties and could get in trouble. Told him it was ok, if they were patented I didn't want any, as I didn't want him, or myself for that matter, to have any problems.

Ask your friend how much to make it worth the risk; I'll never tell.  :-X 8)