Author Topic: One time use Chelated Iron EDDHA  (Read 8282 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
One time use Chelated Iron EDDHA
« on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
I only have one or two trees that have iron issues that I need to drench with EDDHA chelated iron, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy an entire container that I would have to store for months or years. I found a small package on ebay for about $5 that mixes into 5 liters of water. It's perfect for a few trees without ending up with another container of fertilizer in my garage.

Heres a link to what I bought: http://r.ebay.com/B5CMqV
Shipping from Spain only took a week.

I figured it may be useful to other members.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: One time use Chelated Iron EDDHA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »
i got about 5lbs of this stuff. I don't know what the shelf life of it is but I use quite a bit of it each year because of our high alkaline conditions here, especially that I have trees that are quite prone to iron chlorisis.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
That package only has less than 1/2 oz not enough for a big tree. I can get the 2lb packets on the same material for about $18.00  but you need to buy 10 packets would be ideal for a group of people to do a group purchase of this material. Is Excellent.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
I fully understand that its cheaper to buy larger quantities of iron. The purpose of this post was specifically for those who only need a very small amount and do not want to store extra.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »
You might want to try sulfur. Given your location, Sheehan, you should be able to easily acidify your soil to the point where good old granular fertilizer supplies sufficient iron. The soil I had imported from delray beach responds very favorably to sulfur application. All of my ph sensitive trees that are in that soil are doing phenomenally.
Jeff  :-)

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
Raimei what rate do you use this at, and how long does it take to be effective? I just bought some of this for my more chlorotic looking plants, sandy soil on limestone bedrock.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
You might want to try sulfur. Given your location, Sheehan, you should be able to easily acidify your soil to the point where good old granular fertilizer supplies sufficient iron. The soil I had imported from delray beach responds very favorably to sulfur application. All of my ph sensitive trees that are in that soil are doing phenomenally.

Yes, Sulfur and copious amounts of organic mulch can really help eliminate the need for chelated iron drenches... 

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:42 PM »

Yes, Sulfur and copious amounts of organic mulch can really help eliminate the need for chelated iron drenches...

Even when growing upon limestone/in sandy alkaline soil? My interest is certainly piqued.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »

Even when growing upon limestone/in sandy alkaline soil? My interest is certainly piqued.

Yes, I am on limestone, but with more of a red laterite dust mixed with sand. 8.2 ph. After laying down casaurina straw mulch and wood chips and spreading sulfur and dry humates over the past four years, I no longer see iron deficiency issues.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:53 AM »
I use Grow More 6546 EDDHA Iron Chelate it comes in 1lb it last me over a year. I tried sprint330 for a while but I went back to Grow More EDDHA Iron Chelate it does wonder for my high alkaline soil

http://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-6546-Chelate-1-Pound/dp/B00BWE2CUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455602485&sr=8-1&keywords=eddha+iron+chelate

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:12 AM »
I use Grow More 6546 EDDHA Iron Chelate it comes in 1lb it last me over a year. I tried sprint330 for a while but I went back to Grow More EDDHA Iron Chelate it does wonder for my high alkaline soil

http://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-6546-Chelate-1-Pound/dp/B00BWE2CUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455602485&sr=8-1&keywords=eddha+iron+chelate

If anyone in my area is interested,  I may be willing to place a group order.  Please PM me.
- Rob

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »

You certainly made the right choice. Fe Eddha is more effective than FeEdta or Dpta and can be easily absorbed  by the roots even in very high ph soil.

The ligands EDTA, DTPA, and EDDHA are often used in chelated fertilizers (Table 4). Their effectiveness differs significantly. Generally speaking, EDDHA chelated Fe is most stable at soil pH greater than 7 (Figure 4, A and B). Chelated fertilizer stability is desired because it means the chelated micronutrient will remain in a bioavailable form for a much longer time period, thus increasing micronutrient use efficiency in vegetable and fruit production. The stability of three typical chelated Fe fertilizers varies at different pH conditions (Figure 4, A). The Y-axis represents the ratio of chelated Fe to total chelate and ranges from 0 to 1.0. A value of 1.0 means the chelate is stable. The X-axis represents soil pH. At 6.0, the ratios for all of the three chelated Fe fertilizers are 1.0 (stable), but at pH 7.5, only the ratio of EDDTA chelated Fe is 1.0. That of DTPA chelated Fe is only 0.5, and that of EDTA chelated Fe is only 0.025. So, in practice, EDDTA chelated Fe fertilizer is most effective when pH is greater than 7 but most costly. Accordingly, crop yields of these three chelated fertilizers are in this order: FeEDDHA > FeDTPA > FeEDTA (Figure 4, B). See Micronutrient Deficiencies in Citrus: Iron, Zinc, and Manganese (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss423) for effective pH ranges of iron chelates. Table 3 shows the relationship between soil pH and chelated fertilizer requirement.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1208
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:30:16 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »

Yes, I am on limestone, but with more of a red laterite dust mixed with sand. 8.2 ph. After laying down casaurina straw mulch and wood chips and spreading sulfur and dry humates over the past four years, I no longer see iron deficiency issues.

I'm really glad to hear that, if we have lots of anything it's casuarinas LOL. I've seen some Tiger 90 bags of sulfur at one of the hardware stores too so might incorporate that, how heavy/how far out do you apply the c. straw mulch?

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »

I just bought this, how do you apply it and at what rate?

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »

I'm really glad to hear that, if we have lots of anything it's casuarinas LOL. I've seen some Tiger 90 bags of sulfur at one of the hardware stores too so might incorporate that, how heavy/how far out do you apply the c. straw mulch?

You can add the straw mulch up to a foot thick. Certainly beyond the dripline of each tree but I just cover large areas of the yard where I have plantings.  Good luck!! It will break down pretty quickly and the fines will really improve the soil and water holding capacity.  Then keep adding as needed.  Yes, that Tiger 90 is what I use. Scatter on top of the mulch.

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »

You can add the straw mulch up to a foot thick. Certainly beyond the dripline of each tree but I just cover large areas of the yard where I have plantings.  Good luck!! It will break down pretty quickly and the fines will really improve the soil and water holding capacity.  Then keep adding as needed.  Yes, that Tiger 90 is what I use. Scatter on top of the mulch.

Ok thanks, I have some (copious amount) newspaper on hand too so I was thinking I could lay a couple sheets of it down for weeds then the c. straw over it, sounds good? Also if I want to put some, say, manure as part of the mulch, should it be over or under the c. straw? And how much Tiger 90 sulfur to apply? Thanks again.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »

Ok thanks, I have some (copious amount) newspaper on hand too so I was thinking I could lay a couple sheets of it down for weeds then the c. straw over it, sounds good? Also if I want to put some, say, manure as part of the mulch, should it be over or under the c. straw? And how much Tiger 90 sulfur to apply? Thanks again.

I would layer manure, newspaper, straw then sulfur applied at 100 lbs per acre  I reapplied the sulfur every six months for three years

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »
Yah, you can lay the mulch down really thick. I use tree trimmer mulch at a thickness of about a foot. It lasts roughly a 18 months.

You can actually go really heavy with the tiger 90 for "most" plants. Annonas seem to be very sensitive to it, so be extra careful around them. I applied about 1 ton (2,000 pounds) of tiger 90 to a 1/4 acre as an experiment about a year ago. Out of about 3 dozen trees, the only ones that were adversely affected were a handful of annonas and a guava tree.

While you can't feasibly modify the PH of soil that is > 1% calcium carbonate, it's generally possible to acidify the top few inches of soil above the hardpan.

Organic matter (eg, compost) will actually begin to buffer the PH in both directions -- meaning it's really hard to move it away from a 7.0 (once fully degraded). Just a handful of tiger 90 will effect a dramatic change in pH on sand (which has a very low pH buffer capacity), but it's fairly ineffective on soil with a lot of organic material, as the organic material buffers the pH.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:28 PM »
Yah, you can lay the mulch down really thick. I use tree trimmer mulch at a thickness of about a foot. It lasts roughly a 18 months.

You can actually go really heavy with the tiger 90 for "most" plants. Annonas seem to be very sensitive to it, so be extra careful around them. I applied about 1 ton (2,000 pounds) of tiger 90 to a 1/4 acre as an experiment about a year ago. Out of about 3 dozen trees, the only ones that were adversely affected were a handful of annonas and a guava tree.

While you can't feasibly modify the PH of soil that is > 1% calcium carbonate, it's generally possible to acidify the top few inches of soil above the hardpan.

Organic matter (eg, compost) will actually begin to buffer the PH in both directions -- meaning it's really hard to move it away from a 7.0 (once fully degraded). Just a handful of tiger 90 will effect a dramatic change in pH on sand (which has a very low pH buffer capacity), but it's fairly ineffective on soil with a lot of organic material, as the organic material buffers the pH.

Wow! 2000 lbs of sulfur.  That is hard Corp. what  has your ph change been?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
HAHAHA Yah, I overdid it. It went from a ph of about 7.5 down to ~2.0 :-). In my case, the soil (which I imported from palm beach county) was loamy sand with little to no organic material and very little calcium. In retrospect, this type of soil has a very low buffer capacity, so I probably could have used a LOT less. It was a fun experiment though.

On my other lot, where the soil is mostly organic material from years of heavy mulching, sulfur does little good. That rate might give me a drop from 7.2 to 6.5.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
7.5 to 2  lol.

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
7.5 to 2  lol.

I don't think I'm aiming for quite that low lol, but I collected a couple trashbags worth of casuarina needles the other day to try laying down around some of my fruit trees so hopefully it works well. Most of them have grass right up to the trunk so I'll probably have to put down something to smother them under the needles.

BahamaDan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
I'm still not sure how much of the Iron EDDHA to apply? I diluted some in water and watered a couple plants with no response after a couple weeks, but I probably didn't get the concentration right.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
I fully understand that its cheaper to buy larger quantities of iron. The purpose of this post was specifically for those who only need a very small amount and do not want to store extra.

Are you sure you have an iron deficiency?  Treating with iron is the first knee jerk reaction gottafixit after witnessing leaf chlorosis when the problem can be one or more micro deficiencies, especially zinc, even manganese.

Keyplex stuff is about as good as it gets for me.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »
Use of high P foods will induce a micro deficiency.   

I always start with a soil analysis to see what I've got.