Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Introduce Yourself

<< < (334/335) > >>

dorian:
Hello I'm Dorian, living in Miami, FL. Currently growing (or trying rather, mostly not that successfully) Meyer Lemon, Papaya, Avocado, Figs, Dragon Fruit, Passion Fruit.

I came to the forum as I am looking to "fix" my avocado tree. Initially it was a Hass, the grafted shoot died off, but there were two surviving water shoots. I kept one (roots are now 4+ years old) and I successfully top worked it with Catalina. I am now looking for companion Type B to graft onto it as well, looking for Monroe, Sharwil, Nishikawa or Kahaluu scionwood.

Looking forward to picking up some knowledge.

DFfarmer:
Thanks to those who set up the forum.   

Hi, I am a small certified Organic farmer in Valley Center, CA. Main crops are Avocados, Blueberries and Dragon Fruit. We didn't intend to have the dragon fruit take over but I think they may have surpassed the avocados now, which is what was here when we came about ten years ago.  We also grow a variety of other  tropical fruit, the Guavas seem to be doing much better than the stone fruit and apples, which are not tropical but have been grown in this area for many generations, I cannot figure that one out, but climate change is not helping lol. The gophers are teaching us that maybe container farming is the option that will work best when they are active, too many fig trees taken out the last few years! They even took out a mango seedling this year!

Hope to continue to learn from others and improve our practice, as well as finding the very best quality and flavorful fruit to grow for the food supply. Would be fun to have more friends to trade and share with as well! ;)

W.:

--- Quote from: DFfarmer on November 26, 2021, 04:51:09 PM ---Thanks to those who set up the forum.   

Hi, I am a small certified Organic farmer in Valley Center, CA. Main crops are Avocados, Blueberries and Dragon Fruit. We didn't intend to have the dragon fruit take over but I think they may have surpassed the avocados now, which is what was here when we came about ten years ago.  We also grow a variety of other  tropical fruit, the Guavas seem to be doing much better than the stone fruit and apples, which are not tropical but have been grown in this area for many generations, I cannot figure that one out, but climate change is not helping lol. The gophers are teaching us that maybe container farming is the option that will work best when they are active, too many fig trees taken out the last few years! They even took out a mango seedling this year!

Hope to continue to learn from others and improve our practice, as well as finding the very best quality and flavorful fruit to grow for the food supply. Would be fun to have more friends to trade and share with as well! ;)

--- End quote ---

There have been several threads on the Forum over the years about gophers and techniques for protecting fruit trees against them. You will probably be able to find some very useful advice.

Mikhail2400:
Hello Im Mike and im from a small town in southeast GA and im a retired pipefitter/welder. I have two grown sons, the oldest is in the Air Force stationed in Alaska and will soon be headed to Africa. The youngest works at a local plant and has given me a very beautiful granddaughter who is 3 years old and can be mean as a cottonmouth or sweet as an angel depending on some emotional barometer which im unable to fathom. Oh well I never understood grown women so its no surprise im no better with the younger ones either.
I guess your tired of hearing about my beautiful granddaughter and your probably thinking mine doesnt hold a candle to how beautiful yours is but you would be wrong, mines the tops.

Have a great new year, Mike

Funguy10a:
My name is Anthony, in city of Orange, CA, zone 10a.     I started growing fruit 8/2019 while redoing our backyard.  Most of my plants are young and I've only tasted a few fruits that I've grown, but it's been rewarding.  My thumb's getting greener.    My hand pollination rate for Cherimoya and Dragon fruit is 100% (1 for 1 for each... LOL). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version