Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620699 times)

srnurexpert

• Bangladesh
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1700 on: August 07, 2022, 08:40:39 AM »
thanks for your posting.

Gone Tropical

• USA, Florida, Orlando
    • View Profile
    • Blogging in Myrtle Glen
« Reply #1701 on: August 16, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »

Hello everyone, I can't believe I did not find this forum earlier especially since I have a problem which I will throw at you shortly in the correct thread  ;D
I live in Orlando Florida for the past 20 years and love all tropical plants, especially bananas with their huge beautiful leaves. In my small back yard I have several banana varieties, and then single plants: Lychee 'Emperor', Barbados Cherry (which I never get any fruit since the wildlife harvests all), Peach, Nectarine, Miracle Fruit, Dragon Fruit, potted Meyer Lemon, Mango 'Carrie', Canistel and a Wurtz Avocado (my problem child)
Great to be here, and I am looking forward reading through the wealth of knowledge in this forum. :-)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 16, 2022, 10:16:52 PM »
Hello!
New member from SWFL. I am new to growing fruit trees, and am already lost in the world of mangoes. I have mango and other tropical fruit trees in my small backyard. The learning from having different fruit trees has been great, and I am loving it.
Tom

Popsicle

• US, Florida, Sorrento, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:15 AM »
 :) Hi, I'm Loretta from N. Central Florida.  I am brand new here.  I started growning papaya trees from seed and they are doing beautifully.  I have one tree that I purchased from Lowe's that is actually older than the seed trees and it has barely grown!  It's been a year.   It's just 3 foot tall.  My largest tree had close to 20 frut on the main stalk.  It broke overnight and I am trying to rescue the fruit.  I know some are too young and they are oozing that white milky substance.  I think I might lose my first bunch but will watch diligently to protect new fruit.   I thought I was going to have lots of fruit to dry and some fresh to much on too.  Sad that they might have worms. 

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 13, 2022, 09:14:49 PM »
:) Hi, I'm Loretta from N. Central Florida.  I am brand new here.  I started growning papaya trees from seed and they are doing beautifully.  I have one tree that I purchased from Lowe's that is actually older than the seed trees and it has barely grown!  It's been a year.   It's just 3 foot tall.  My largest tree had close to 20 frut on the main stalk.  It broke overnight and I am trying to rescue the fruit.  I know some are too young and they are oozing that white milky substance.  I think I might lose my first bunch but will watch diligently to protect new fruit.   I thought I was going to have lots of fruit to dry and some fresh to much on too.  Sad that they might have worms.

Popsicle, I'm sorry to hear about your tree breaking. I hear you can cook immature fruits like squash or make "zucchini" bread with them. I have not made either but have eaten the bread that people made--it was really yummy. I have made Thai green papaya salad--it is good too.

jessek

• Internet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: September 14, 2022, 11:45:13 AM »
Hi all 👋, I'm Jesse from Portland! While in Portland, I volunteer at the Home Orchard Education Center, which grows dozens of apple and pear cultivars while also having grapes, persimmons, hardy kiwi, medlar, pawpaw and a few other less-common fruits. I love being in the Pacific Northwest during the summer for all the berries we have here! I also grow tropical fruit in Southwest Florida: mangos, atemoya, jackfruit, lychee, jaboticaba, carambola, guava, papaya, avocado, dragon fruit, passion fruit, and some citrus -- the collection grows each year with a few new trees. Thanks for having me here and looking forward to the conversations!

HalcyonJon

• USA, Maryland, Baltimore, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 22, 2022, 02:40:12 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Jon and I live in Baltimore, MD.  I've always been attracted to knowledge available to a limited/select group of people, and over the last few years that has extended to tropical fruit.  Like many of you, I collect entirely too many tropical plants considering my zone (7a), and grow a slew of fruits that are appropriate to my location as well.  I have a few things to sell/trade, and questions to ask to help determine the best candidates to add to my collection.  I am a distiller by trade, and am always researching options that can be sustainably made into spirits/liqueurs/beverages of any sort.  Happy to offer any of my knowledge to those who may benefit from it.  I look forward to getting to know many of you :)

Cheers!

DAC

• Florida Keys
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: September 25, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
Hello all. My name is Danny and I live in the Florida Keys. I literally just joined this about 5 minutes ago. I am in Florida for most of the year and in Alaska in the summers. I am a fishing guide in the Keys and work for a seafood company in Alaska in the summers. I have a few fruit trees and some are doing better than others. Bananas - pretty good, mango - young but seems to be healthy, Oro negro - not doing very well (doing research on it is how I found this forum), key lime- I have a few- getting fruit but the leaf miners are a problem. I am new to gardening in general and looking forward to reading through posts and learning what I can to help my poor plants!

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: September 26, 2022, 05:19:03 PM »
Hey all.

Coastal southern California native here very close to Mexico border.  I started out with dragonfruit and ice cream bean, now I have a ton more variety of plants including red atemoya, other Annonas, guava and guava relatives, a few different Eugenias, jaboticaba, thimbleberry etc.  I think because I mostly work from home these days I just have more time to get into this hobby.  So far everyone has mostly been friendly and welcoming and its great to hear from other people that are knowledgeable on the topic.

I hope one day all my trees and plants bear fruit so I can share with family and friends.  Wishing you all good fortune in your gardens.  Peace!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 26, 2022, 10:01:32 PM »
Hey all.

Coastal southern California native here very close to Mexico border.  I started out with dragonfruit and ice cream bean, now I have a ton more variety of plants including red atemoya, other Annonas, guava and guava relatives, a few different Eugenias, jaboticaba, thimbleberry etc.  I think because I mostly work from home these days I just have more time to get into this hobby.  So far everyone has mostly been friendly and welcoming and its great to hear from other people that are knowledgeable on the topic.

I hope one day all my trees and plants bear fruit so I can share with family and friends.  Wishing you all good fortune in your gardens.  Peace!

Welcome!   How is the ice cream bean?  And do you know what type you have?  I started one from seed that is finally flowering now, but I've never tried the fruit.  Mine is inga edulis

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: September 27, 2022, 01:25:23 AM »
Hey all.

Welcome!   How is the ice cream bean?  And do you know what type you have?  I started one from seed that is finally flowering now, but I've never tried the fruit.  Mine is inga edulis

I am not entirely sure, I believe it is inga edulis.  It was a little bit slow growing at first, but it started to pick up in summer.  I think I still got a ways to go before flowering even, though it has threw out more foilage recently.   I have a couple seedlings as well from a fruit grown from seed at the same nursery that I picked up my current one.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 27, 2022, 05:48:12 AM »
Ah I was thinking you already had fruit.  Mine is in a container, trunk diameter is about 1.5" and it just flowered for the first time this week.  It has been trouble-free. 

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 05, 2022, 12:54:14 AM »
Hello

Im from townsville in north queensland. a bit further south than the best tropical fruit region but still trying a few of the harder ones. in a suburban house so i dont have as many trees as i wish i could but i have about 25-30 different fruits.

currently have two durians which are struggling after loosing most of the leaves during the long winter but seem to have a ton of new growth errupting as well as a mangosteen. my rambuatan, lychee, longan, jackfruit, soursop and sapodilla are all dong great. also have 4 other garcinias, 7 jabuticabas of a few different types, 3 bananas, 8 citrus and a few figs. quite a few other topicals and somewhat less interesting fruits and flavors/spices aswell.

here to meet other people and learn like everyone else. also keen to visit other properties in the area to lean some more. most of my trees are still young but plenty are starting to fruit which is exciting

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 09, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »
Hi, I'm Greg. I live in Southern California. I have a general interest in tropical fruit and a specific interest in fruiting cacti.

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 16, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
Hello! I'm from socal as well. I have grown vegetables for a while but just getting into fruit trees and I love it.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #1715 on: October 24, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
Greetings, everyone! I used to have another account on here a few years ago, but I can't seem to get the password reset to work so I decided to create a new one instead.

My name is Winn, and I'm organizing a decentralized regional trial of allegedly cold-hardy avocado cultivars and their seedlings in the Pacific NW (anyone in zone 8b+ with an emphasis on western WA lowlands and coastal Olympic peninsula). I'll be distributing my first 30-40 trees in spring, and have been testing seedlings in my own yard for a couple years now. I'll post an announcement when the sign-up form goes live in the next couple weeks if anyone is interested in joining the project.

I also have an assortment of tropical and subtropical stuff in my greenhouse besides avocados, such as a Dwarf Cavendish banana, some mango seedlings, a few types of dragonfruit, and a few citrus trees.

Finally, I've got some temperate fruit trees and "hardy subtropicals" that I'm zone pushing outside alongside the avocados, such as some seeded bananas, various guava cousins, loquats, pawpaws, guabiju, ubajay.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 24, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »
Greetings, everyone! I used to have another account on here a few years ago, but I can't seem to get the password reset to work so I decided to create a new one instead.

My name is Winn, and I'm organizing a decentralized regional trial of allegedly cold-hardy avocado cultivars and their seedlings in the Pacific NW (anyone in zone 8b+ with an emphasis on western WA lowlands and coastal Olympic peninsula). I'll be distributing my first 30-40 trees in spring, and have been testing seedlings in my own yard for a couple years now. I'll post an announcement when the sign-up form goes live in the next couple weeks if anyone is interested in joining the project.

I also have an assortment of tropical and subtropical stuff in my greenhouse besides avocados, such as a Dwarf Cavendish banana, some mango seedlings, a few types of dragonfruit, and a few citrus trees.

Finally, I've got some temperate fruit trees and "hardy subtropicals" that I'm zone pushing outside alongside the avocados, such as some seeded bananas, various guava cousins, loquats, pawpaws, guabiju, ubajay.

Hey, welcome back!

Did you ever get fruit from your Dwarf Cavendish?  I just got one this spring, and it grows and grows and grows but no flower yet.  It is about 8ft tall now, it was <2ft tall when I got it.   Wondering just how "dwarf" it really is....

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 24, 2022, 03:18:59 PM »

Greetings, everyone! I used to have another account on here a few

Hey, welcome back!
Did you ever get fruit from your Dwarf Cavendish?  I just got one this spring, and it grows and grows and grows but no flower yet.  It is about 8ft tall now, it was <2ft tall when I got it.   Wondering just how "dwarf" it really is....

Thanks! Mine is in its second year now and it's around 7 ft tall (9-10 ft to the top of new leaves before they flop over). I don't heat the greenhouse much so it only really grows in the hotter summer days. My understanding is they usually send up their flag leaf between 8 and 12 ft (+3 ft to tip of new leaves), so I'm hoping mine does next year. I'll be removing it once it fruits, since the avocados on either side are getting big enough that they need to spread into that space. I knew when I planted it that I'd be doing that, but had optimistically hoped it would fruit this year, so it's going to be mighty crowded next summer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:22:19 PM by drymifolia »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 24, 2022, 07:23:03 PM »
When I bought it I was thinking of this picture I had seen in the Logees catalog... either they are lying or this 'super dwarf cavendish' is much, much smaller

"This exciting strain of the Cavendish banana will actually produce fruit at a manageable height of just 3’ or less. "

hah

Cannasquirrel

• sanjose zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 26, 2022, 09:41:08 PM »
Hello, My name is Kaleb, I am rare plant liking teen
Cupă squirrel

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 27, 2022, 03:36:32 PM »
When I bought it I was thinking of this picture I had seen in the Logees catalog... either they are lying or this 'super dwarf cavendish' is much, much smaller

"This exciting strain of the Cavendish banana will actually produce fruit at a manageable height of just 3’ or less. "

hah

I think they are lying *and* Super Dwarf Cavendish is a lot smaller than the regular one. I think the Super Dwarf usually flowers at 5-8 feet, not 3. But 5-8 is a lot less than 8-12!

Tamiie Aallen

• Hutchinson, KS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 03, 2022, 02:32:42 PM »
Hi, I'm Tammie. I live in Hutchinson, KS. It may sound weird but I love cacti, but my cat doesn't share them with me.
Also, I like sour cherries and bananas.

Fangorn

• Fort Myers 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 06, 2022, 02:21:20 PM »
Hello all,
Been visiting the site for a few years, decided to finally make an account. Started growing fruit trees a few years ago and pack as many as I can into my small backyard in Fort Myers. The trees I have fruiting are starfruit, barbados cherry, suriname cherry, peanut butter fruit, blackberry jam fruit, jamaican cherry, tangelo, and bananas. I've got other trees like mangoes, garcinias, and other eugenias, but I'm still waiting on fruit.

TheORKINMan

• Tallahassee, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 07, 2022, 12:08:49 AM »
Hey all,

Always been interested in growing things, got started with super hot peppers then went and lived in Antarctica for a few years on a research station. No fresh fruits and veggies for a few years caused me to buy a house in north Florida in 2019 and I’ve been working on a home orchard since then.

I have successfully grown citrus and peaches to fruiting in that time. Now branching out into some apples, pears, plums, pecans, bananas, and tropical fruit in containers. Currently have 15-25 gallon pots with a Brown Sugar Sapodilla Nispero, Mallika Mango, Mammee Apple, Key West Mamey Sapote, Lara Starfruit, and Purple Star Apple.

Looking forward to engaging with everyone!

abukeif

• USA, MA, Zone 5b/6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:29 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the frozen North (Zone 5b/6a in western MA, a stone's throw from the Connecticut River). I had good success this year with a lime tree without really knowing much about what I was doing, and am now contemplating the expansion of my citrus collection, at least as much as space and domestic harmony will allow. I also grow (or am trying to grow) figs, pawpaws, pomegranates, as well as lots of temperate-climate annuals. Looking forward to learning from you all!