Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Growing Mango trees in Southern California

<< < (147/182) > >>

MasonG31:

--- Quote from: mbmango on May 20, 2022, 03:06:14 AM ---A Gary seedling, sowed last July:
I've only tried maybe 200 or so seedlings over the years, and the oldest survivors I have, in-ground, started flowering at around 5 years old at the earliest.  Just a curiosity, as it's among dozens of others next to the house.

--- End quote ---

I planted a Gary seed last year as well.  To my surprise, it's polyembryonic! There are at least four shoots growing out.  Unfortunately it's a slow grower, but I'm excited because Gary was a standout mango for me last year.  To me, it had more coconut flavor than Coconut Cream and M4.

mbmango:
Interesting about the flavor.  Seemed like creamy citrus to me, but I would totally appreciate coconut.  I wish I would have been able to sample CC and M4.  The most coconut I tasted was in some Pickerings, and maybe a few Pina Coladas (but those were more pina than otherwise).

For Gary, I tried 4 seeds, but only 1 sprouted 3. I split them just after sprouting to avoid having to untangle more roots later.  The runtiest didn't survive the winter, but #2 is hanging on, although very sluggish.

K-Rimes:

Crazy performance from this neglected potted mango my gf family has. Barely watered, never fertilized. Unknown Home Depot with no graft.

John B:
Anyone else get late blooms in the last week? I thought my sweet tart was going to start flushing vegetatively but they decided to bloom again. My atulfo, manila, and other recently grafted sweet tart are all growing without more blooms.

hawkfish007:
My NDM #4 bloomed again within the last week. It was already loaded with fruitlets of various sizes but decided those were not plenty enough, no complains though  :D
Cotton candy and Carrie are blooming now while holding ftuitlets but not as much as the NDM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version