Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

grafting Garcinias

(1/2) > >>

Tomas:
Hello,

Does anyone know what works and what doesn't work in terms of rootstock selection for Garcinia species? I am particilarly interested in rootstock compability of these Garcinias:

G. madruno
G. prainiana
G. mangostana
G. macrophylla
achachairu
Mexican garcinia

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tomas

FlyingFoxFruits:
Tomas,

Im certain they are all compatible with each other...but some will be better than others I assume.

I could be wrong, but this was always my impression..

I was just thinking of grafting garcinias to! U R psychic!

PS seems like saddle graft, or inverted cleft graft, is the preferred way to graft mangosteen and relatives...I've never tried, just seen Bill Whitmans book and pictures of when he did it.

Tomas:
Hi Adam,

With "each other" you mean any Garcinia would more or less work to graft with any other Garcinia as rootstock, or do you mean grafting onto the same species?

Tomas

Berto:
Tomas,
I would talk with our common friend, Steve.  According to Steve, garcinias do not do well when grafted! Steve used to go on overseas trips with Bill Whitman looking for fruits to bring to Florida, and he knows a bit about grafting garcinias.

Ethan:
I wonder if garcinia on rheedia (old name) and vice versa is compatible?  I agree w/Berto, grafted might not be better when it comes to garcinia?  We saw older grafted mangosteens next to seedling trees and the grafted ones showed much less vigor in growth and fruit production.  I own a grafted Brasiliensis and Macrophylla, perhaps it was recovering from bare rooting but the Brasiliensis took a year to push a new leaf and that was below the graft.  It has finally pushed about 3 new leaves from above the graft almost 1.5 years later.  The Macro has faired a little better pushing a set of new leaves after 6 months.  The grafts are cleft/wedge, I dont know the rootstock but I would guess it to be Brasiliensis, madrono or macro?

good luck,
-Ethan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version