Author Topic: What's the weirdest/awesome seeds have YOU germinated before?  (Read 5919 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
What's the weirdest/awesome seeds have YOU germinated before?
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »
Hi Folks,

For me, it's Dwarf Ambarellas...those badboys were fortified like barbedwire and they have the ability to sprout several shoots from a single seed 8)

What's yours?

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: What's the weirdest/awesome seeds have YOU germinated before?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
For sheer wierdness of initial germination and plant formation, I have to give it to durian.  That's been mine anyway.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
Strychnos spinosa was pretty weird, long tap root that emerges. While the leaves stay inside the seed shell, the waxy gel inside the seed shell is very cool. I also enjoyed the way the Abiu seeds came up, though not as exotic as the S. spinosa. Also find cacti seeds very interesting on germination, a lot of them sprout into mini bubble like cacti. Now watching Plinia edulis sprout, dug up a seed... so far just a small white tap root emerging.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Perhaps not so much strange, but I love watching Mabolo sprout. Two glossy leaflets right at the surface and a tall spire in the middle. It looks like it really wants to be a glossy foliaged fern or something like that.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
for me cherapu would be the one!

they come up out of the dirt months after u plant them!  and are almost pitch black (so hard to spot at first).  they grow super slow so far! maybe because i stare at them daily.

so these seem to take 4 ever!!!  and I like that.  it teaches patience.  after all, I requested this plant for 4 yrs before getting real one!  got scammed with some g subelliptica plants!
 :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
Agouti-Nut is both strange and beautiful as it sprouts.
Har

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:27 PM »
Of the six abiu seeds I germinated, two were strange.  One seed split and opened like a clam shell and the sprout came out from it like it was a gift.  The other abiu has a side of the seed sticking out of the soil at a 45 degree angle, reminding me of a lamborghini door.  Both were buried at least an inch.  When the first abiu sprouted, for a split second I thought it was a bug, then fungus because it was white and hairy.
Brandon

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Nam-nam is anotehr interesting one that opens up like a clam.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
I always get a weird giddy feeling when my Adansonia seeds sprout. There like a giant bean
- David Antonio Garcia

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
Hi Gents,

Thanks for sharing...I really enjoyed reading all the comments :)

Seeds are truly amazing...from a huge Coconut to a tiny cactus seed, all have the same purpose in life to procreate and spread their species. Some if even go the extra mile and evolve over time to attract and create a mutual bond with a certain insect, so that the tree/plant has a chance to fertilze and spread the seeds. All living organisms have the sole purpose to procreate and pass along their genes to the next generation.

For me, the best part of this hobby is seeing the inicial start of life through the germination of a seed and it's development. Each seed has it's own survival strategies, from seeds that can remain viable for many years and other that germinate in just a few short days, to take full advantage, when the conditions are right...if they were to germinate in less favourable times, the seeds don't have the fighting chance of survival.

Looking forward to read more comments :)     

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
For sheer wierdness of initial germination and plant formation, I have to give it to durian.  That's been mine anyway.

Harry, please elaborate

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »
For me it was a nut type of seed , a vine , that Soren send me forgot the name - senior moment - the growth was unbelievable , scary like in an horor movie were the plants want to grab an strangle you
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:16 AM »
For me it was a nut type of seed , a vine , that Soren send me forgot the name - senior moment - the growth was unbelievable , scary like in an horor movie were the plants want to grab an strangle you

Hi Luc,

I wonder if it's oyster nut...they truly get huge 8) Thanks for your reply as well :)
Time is like a river.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
The three standouts in all the seed sowing I've done in the past have to be Mangosteen, Mamey, and Chocolate. The Mangosteen was a very pretty seedling with purplish leaves - it made it to the four leaves stage a little over a year after sprouting and then died a horrible death. The Mamey lived for 4 or 5 years and made a lovely potted plant - it died in the middle of summer for no apparent reason. The Chocolate lived for many years and got about 9 feet tall and multi-branched. It never bloomed and died one winter in the hoophouse when the temps got into the 30's. None of my seedlings are what I would consider weird or odd but some of the seeds are pretty strange.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »

Hi Luc,

I wonder if it's oyster nut...they truly get huge 8) Thanks for your reply as well :)

Yes , that's the one , thank you for refreshing my memory.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
Hi John,
They are all awesome seeds ;) Sorry to hear that your trees above, died :( They are truly awesome...don't give up on them :) Thanks for your reply :)

Hi Luc,
 :) The oyster nut vines sure ain't play'n around  :o 8) I saw a pic of the fruit...it's truly massive like a pumpkin :o

Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
Luc; I keep smiling thanks to your comments and yeah those vines and the giant pods are straight out of attack of the body snatchers. Lol
Anyway; try Irvingia gabonensis and you got the supercool seedling of a lifetime
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Hi,

I think Thaumatococcus daniellii seeds are pretty weird. This is what happens after you soak them for 24 hours. Some kind of gelatinous substance surrounds the seeds. I have no idea what process caused that. Looks a little alien to me. Before and after picture:

Tomas

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:10 AM »
Wow Tomas, great and bizarre photos.  For me, durian and Eugenia subtermianllis, when the seed sprouted it split into two halves with the sprout and rootlet going out the center.  Kind of looked like a pair of lungs, I was extra delicate with them making sure not to snap off one of the sides while planting.

I wonder if pouterias get their name from the shape of the seeds, they all seem rather feminine looking?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
Hi Tomas,

:o Never seen a seed produce such alot of jelly :o The only seed that i have germinated that also produces jelly is Tamarind...during soaking. I don't know much about this sp. you are germinating...though i reckon that jelly will inhibit the seed from germinating.

Thanks a bunch for sharing, Tomas :)

Hi Ethan,
Thanks a bunch for sharing as well :) Eugenia subtermianllis, sure sounds like an awesome tree 8)
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk