Author Topic: Which Indian/Pakistani mangoes grow and produce well in Southern California?  (Read 2437 times)

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
It seems that majority of the Indian/Pakaistani mangoes don't do well in Southern California. Looking through the tropical fruit forum, I gathered following information:

Alphonso: May grow well on local rootstock but does not produce well
Kesar: Some people had good success with it but did not produce well for other people
Sindhri: JF has successfully grown Sindhri but I can not find any other reports.
Imam pasand: behlgarden has successfully grown Imam pasand
Mallika: varaiable reports
Manohar: can not find enough information
Amrapali: can not find enough information

I am sure there are many other mangoes which I am missing.

Can local experts share their opinions in this regard?

Thanks

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Hoping to get some opinions!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Thank you JF.  Does it produce and grow well in your yard?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile

taste outstanding better than any indian mango ive grown in Socal. it's a vigorous grower here.....production has been subpar

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.

taste outstanding better than any indian mango ive grown in Socal. it's a vigorous grower here.....production has been subpar

Thanks JF. I wonder why it is not much talked about here in Florida, disease issues may be? I have started a collection of Indian variety mangoes and would love to get scions from you, perhaps together with annonas during your spring annona scion sale. So far i have procured Amrapali, Ambika, Sindhu, Dusheri, Langra benarasi, Sonpari, Imam pasand, Jehangir, Arka Neelkiran, Mallika and Neelam. Looking for jumbo kesar and real Himsagar.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
If you are by the coast Indian mango does not do well, they produce well if you are more Inland. My Alphonso never has done well and produce very few fruit, they get powdery mildew from the morning fog easily. Indian mangoes love heat..

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
If you are by the coast Indian mango does not do well, they produce well if you are more Inland. My Alphonso never has done well and produce very few fruit, they get powdery mildew from the morning fog easily. Indian mangoes love heat..
All mangos love heat!
John

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
All mangos love heat!

What I mean is 100+ dry desert heat...

johnb51

• View Profile
All mangos love heat!

What I mean is 100+ dry desert heat...
But mangos grow throughout India even the humid areas.  I'm told certain varieties are specific to certain climates--dry vs. humid.  The ones that love 100+ dry desert heat should do well in Palm Springs and Coachella Valley.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:40:08 PM by johnb51 »
John

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
That is correct. The areas in Pakistan which produce some of the best mangoes are quite hot and dry. It seems that they also get affected by rains and may not have a good crop if the monsoon season starts earlier than normal.  California dessert areas would theoretically be good areas for these mangoes but then some of these area may be to cold for them during winter.

johnb51

• View Profile
That is correct. The areas in Pakistan which produce some of the best mangoes are quite hot and dry. It seems that they also get affected by rains and may not have a good crop if the monsoon season starts earlier than normal.  California dessert areas would theoretically be good areas for these mangoes but then some of these area may be to cold for them during winter.
There already is a commercial mango orchard in the Coachellla Valley, and one of our members is successfully growing mangos in Palm Springs.  He reports that his fruit has outstanding flavor.
John

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Which Indian/Pakistani mangoes grow and produce well in Southern California?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »

Thanks JF. I wonder why it is not much talked about here in Florida, disease issues may be? I have started a collection of Indian variety mangoes and would love to get scions from you, perhaps together with annonas during your spring annona scion sale. So far i have procured Amrapali, Ambika, Sindhu, Dusheri, Langra benarasi, Sonpari, Imam pasand, Jehangir, Arka Neelkiran, Mallika and Neelam. Looking for jumbo kesar and real Himsagar.

Manohar is Chaunsa seedling. Chausa failed for Richard Campbell. could be why Manohar does not do well in Florida, it has hard time holding even in So Cal.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Which Indian/Pakistani mangoes grow and produce well in Southern California?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »

Manohar is Chaunsa seedling. Chausa failed for Richard Campbell. could be why Manohar does not do well in Florida, it has hard time holding even in So Cal.

Thanks. If i remember well, i tasted a Chaunsa at ZHPP office last year, it wasn't a flavor that impressed me, then i had one in Nepal and it was sweet but not much going on in terms of complexity. The one i had from ZHPP looked similar in appearance so they have the correct one.

I didn't look for chaunsa during my India trip, and it was north India trip so i did not have varieties like Fazli, Malda, Himsagar, Lakshmanbhog, Haribhanga.. is anyone growing these varieties in CA?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
There already is a commercial mango orchard in the Coachellla Valley, and one of our members is successfully growing mangos in Palm Springs.  He reports that his fruit has outstanding flavor.

A friend has a mango farm near palm springs and their mangos are some of the largest and sweetest mangos Ice ever had.  Theres quite good mangos at the stores also imported from mexico. 
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:00 AM »
A single variety say Kensington pride mangoes taste different if grown in Sydney at 34 latitude when compared to on Cape York at 11 latitude in my experience. In a western area with 500mm of rain compared to Babinda with 4200mm/yr there are also differences.So where do the best ones come from? Places with lower rainfall, pretty hot summers but not over 45c all the time and on good soil. Monsoon should start at around ripening time in these places. I had 44c two days in a row and noticed the mango trees suffering so inland a bit where it gets hotter again they would have really copped it. The mangoes usually ripen when summer first starts in northern areas here. Anyway I reckon climate makes a big difference within a variety.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »

Thanks. If i remember well, i tasted a Chaunsa at ZHPP office last year, it wasn't a flavor that impressed me, then i had one in Nepal and it was sweet but not much going on in terms of complexity. The one i had from ZHPP looked similar in appearance so they have the correct one.

I didn't look for chaunsa during my India trip, and it was north India trip so i did not have varieties like Fazli, Malda, Himsagar, Lakshmanbhog, Haribhanga.. is anyone growing these varieties in CA?

Best Chaunsa is grown in Southern part of Punjab province in Pakistan and becomes available in July.  It is very sweet, fragrant and flavorful. Actually, if you use your hands to eat it, its fragrance can stay in your hand for a while.  During the later part of mango season, Chaunsa comes from Sind province and typically is not as flavorful and a bit more fibrous.  So climate definitely seems to affect the mango characteristics.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
Manohar is from Punjab and it has those characteristics you are describing....it just has not produce well. We’ve had chausan from Pakistan and it’s one of the sweetest mango I’ve had ....as sweet as Gary.

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 02:53:37 AM »
I have a Manohar mango tree here in SoCal and it has been prolific growing three times larger than my Florida sourced mango trees in half the time.  Whereas my Florida sourced mangoes constantly produce flowers and try to fruit the Manohar mango puts out growth flush after growth flush.  The only problem is that I have yet to have a single fruit set and develop to maturity.  Does anyone have advice on how to induce this variety to fruit?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk