Author Topic: Graft now or wait?  (Read 2358 times)

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Graft now or wait?
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
I have an in-ground multi-grafted mandarin tree with Algerian Freemont, Page, Kishu and Dancy tangerine grafts. To my surprise, Page and Kishu have been very bland for me.  Hence, I am thinking about cutting the page and Kishu grafts and bark-grafting with Xie Shan, Shiranui and Kinnow mandarin.

I was planning to wait untill march before grafting them but I am already seeing new growth on the tree. What I have noticed is that most of the growth occurs from February to June on my orange trees ( I am in coastal Orange County, Zone 10a, about 10 miles from the coast). Once the temperature reaches 80s, Citrus Leaf Miner (CLM) kicks in and the new growth gets stunted. If I am to graft now, it will give several months of new growth before CLM starts affecting them.

So, I am wondering if I should go ahead and graft them now or wait till March?

Thank your or your responses.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Graft now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
Graft now. I start my grafting from mid-Jan.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:12:33 PM »
I grafted Xie Shan and Mei Wa last November.  So far they are doing good.  See some new grow.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:19:08 PM »
That is great.  I had always thought It was best to graft in late winter/early summer.  I was going to order scions from CCPP but turns out Shiranui scions won't be available till March.  I guess I will have to wait!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
Shiranui from CCPP is good, grafts grow well and tree will have many fruits.
But I noticed my 10yr old grafted Ponkan is also good and my Ponkan fruits tastes better than the 3yr old grafted Shiranui/sumo. So I suggest you also get the Ponkan (VI-311) to graft.

If you want the best tasting winner (per Millet) then include the Xie Shan Satuma (VI-621). Still waiting for fruits on my grafts.
I have most of the CCPP mandarins/tangors grafted and these 3 are the top ones in my opinion.

Ponkan Grafted Tree

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:56:38 AM by sc4001992 »

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions Kaz. Shiranui/sumo and Xie Shan were already on my list but will add Ponkan as well. Given the shipping costs, I wanted to order all of them at same time from CCPP but it seems that Shiranui/sumo will not be available till March.  So I will just have to wait.

Shiranui from CCPP is good, grafts grow well and tree will have many fruits. , But I noticed my 10yr old grafted Ponkan is also good and my Ponkan fruits tastes better than the 3yr old grafted Shiranui/sumo. So I suggest you also get the Ponkan (VI-311) to graft.

If you want the best tasting winner (per Millet) then include the Xie Shan Satuma (VI-621). Still waiting for fruits on my grafts.
I have most of the CCPP mandarins/tangors grafted and these 3 are the top ones in my opinion.

Ponkan Grafted Tree

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »
Did you get some Sumo scions or did they push the date back?  I logged in today and it says unavailable until May. 

Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 12:06:53 AM »
Yes, they pushed the date to May. I just ordered Ponkan and Xie Shan as my tree has lot of fresh growth and now would be the perfect time to graft. It will give grafts a few month of growth before CLM takes over and stunts the new growth.  Will graft Sumo when ever it is available.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 09:54:42 PM »
Thanks, I will get some in May hopefully as well.  I got some Xie shan and C35 scions from them recently.  Got everything grafted up and now just want to get the Sumo and maybe try the ponkan if you guys think its that good.
Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 11:39:57 PM »
Kaz likes Ponkan which is actually a parent of Sumo.

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 12:38:48 AM »
I received my Ponkan wood mid last month from CCPP. A bit disappointed as those are tiny thin wood. I am a newbie in grafting so that is a big deal.
For Xie Shan, mine has been very slow in growth. Only flower after two years grafted on. Hope you guys have better luck.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »
Most all Satsumas are slow growing trees.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »
Gardening requires a lot of patience.  Part of the game. 
Brad Spaugh

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »
Most all Satsumas are slow growing trees.

It all depends on the rootstock.
Very slow grower on PT, but the highest fruit set after 10 years. Japanese used the yuzu as a rootstock in the past for faster growth.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 08:36:18 AM »
What I have noticed is that most of the growth occurs from February to June on my orange trees ( I am in coastal Orange County, Zone 10a, about 10 miles from the coast). Once the temperature reaches 80s, Citrus Leaf Miner (CLM) kicks in and the new growth gets stunted. If I am to graft now, it will give several months of new growth before CLM starts affecting them.

Even though you’re west coast, this just about describes what goes on at my place too.. I was also wondering the best time to graft.. sometimes those leaf miners even tunnel the stems

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 08:39:07 AM »
Ponkan (VI-311)

Is this some type of improved ponkan or same as the old type?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »
Ponkan (VI-311) is the original variety that was offered by CCPP Budwood long time ago.
My trees are older (10+) so everything I graft on them grows very well. I have 15 varieties grafted on this lemon tree and all fruits well (big ones). I have some grafted Shiranui/sumo and the 1yr old grafts had full size fruits that tasted good.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 08:50:40 PM »
SC400... Really nice trees you have there.  Good job.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »
Thank you Millet.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 12:42:11 AM »
Does Ponkan require a lot of heat for flavor?  CCPP description mentions "Climatically, the ponkan is one of the most tropical mandarins.  Under tropical conditions the fruit attains maximum size and quality and finds little competition from other mandarins.  In the hot arid subtropics, however, it has generally proven disappointing and other varieties are better adapted and more popular."  Although I'd like to try it, I might not have enough heat for it to be worthwhile.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 12:54:07 AM »
I'm in Fullerton CA so you can judge how your location compares to mine. The Ponkan on my tree is one of the best production and taste for me.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 01:48:59 AM »
I'd consider Fullerton pretty hot.  I grew up in San Gabriel, and Fullerton was a small step up warmer.  Sort of miss the heat.  Now I live in sweaters vs t-shirts.

7seas

• Carlsbad, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
CCPP had Shiranui/Sumo available earlier this year and I have ordered it in late January. The tiny scion came a few weeks later, and I did my grafts right away. Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 01:20:17 AM by 7seas »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk