Author Topic: Citramot?  (Read 1030 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Citramot?
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
I was just researching bergamot and noticed that according to the ucr citrus variety collection site that it is mostly monoembryonic. I think that means if it makes seeds they should be single and from sexual reproduction and therefore seedlings should not be true to type, rather be hybrids. I can’t find reference to a poncirus and bergamot hybrid, that I presume could be called a “citramot.”  My bergamot tree has bloomed repeatedly this year, so I am tempted to try pollination with PT next spring and see what happens. I look forward to everyone’s comments.

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Re: Citramot?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 10:12:41 PM »
Looking forward to this, good luck.

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
You will probably have good success. I found that is 5 out of 6 crosses I made resulted in hybrids. The one that did not, tangelo X citrumelo was not overly polyembryonic. let us know how it goes.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »
Would be cool you had success. Crosses with monoembryonic varieties are always interesting as the offspring may also produce zygotic seeds. It might also be that the citron part of Bergamot adds something interesting to the hybrid. A milder peel? Who knows?