Author Topic: Dream Cherimoya  (Read 2868 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Dream Cherimoya
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:24:30 PM »
This is called Dream Cherimoya.  It is a cross of Dream Annona with Cherimoya.  It grows like an atemoya and taste like a cherimoya.  You can grow this in Florida.  The two pictures without my name, mike Doan, are the F1 fruit.  The picture with my name on it is the seeds from which this F1 came from.  It taste like a cherimoya, fruit like a cherimoya, and foliage an atemoya.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 11:28:10 PM by Mikey »

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 01:25:19 AM »
Does F1 has the firm texture of atemoya?

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 02:52:04 AM »
Does F1 has the firm texture of atemoya?

Yes chewy

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 03:19:37 AM »
How is the taste and hardiness compared to the Dream? (I hope you do not name it Dream cherimoya, since Dream itself has a messy story of being a cherimoya or atemoya :-))

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »
Do you know anyone who is growing it in FL at this time?  Would you say the flavor is better than the original Dream?  And yes, a new name could help to avoid confusion and controversy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:36:09 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »
Nice work.
Do you remember what cherimoya it was crossed with?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
Well done Mike, when you said it can grow in Florida.  Did you have someone try this already? and did they get it to fruit?
Cherimoya will grow here, it might even flower and fruit.  It will rarely get it to a decent size or ripe.  Which is why some of us keep trying to find the combination of genetics of conditions.

Do keep us informed and if it does well here I expect FL growers will be looking for scions when you are ready.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 01:05:17 AM »
There are atemoya genes and from the way it grows and the leaves, i truly believe it can grow in the tropics.  Do you want to test this for me in the Feb? Let me know and we can trade scions.

Well done Mike, when you said it can grow in Florida.  Did you have someone try this already? and did they get it to fruit?
Cherimoya will grow here, it might even flower and fruit.  It will rarely get it to a decent size or ripe.  Which is why some of us keep trying to find the combination of genetics of conditions.

Do keep us informed and if it does well here I expect FL growers will be looking for scions when you are ready.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 01:51:53 AM by Mikey »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 02:58:14 AM »
I will be happy to.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
I'm happy to help with SoFL testing as well Mikey! =)

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »
Nice job Mike, Dream itself was one of the best tasting annonas I have had.  Id be interested in testing out your new cross.  Id put it through its paces side by side of all my others.

regards Luke
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
I would love to myself but I already have a collection I'm trialing.
I trust the judgement of the above 3, looking forward to some good news in a few years.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 02:49:37 PM »
Cool, guys.  Let's keep on testing atemoyas for Florida!
John

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »
Any updates? Curious to know how this compares with the original dream

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
I receive scions of Mike Dohan from a third party labeled as Dream x Bumpo is this the same that you are talking about?
El verde es vida!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »
You could call it "Fantasy."  As long as it's got some squamosa genetics, it's considered an atemoya, right?
John

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
Or also "Dreamoya" as a recommendation lol. Another Dream whether it's annona, atemoya, cherimoya would probably be a bit confusing in the long run.  In addition, seems more than a few experts has confirm that Dream was a hijacked Arka Sahan that got renamed.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 10:17:46 AM »
Or also "Dreamoya" as a recommendation lol. Another Dream whether it's annona, atemoya, cherimoya would probably be a bit confusing in the long run.  In addition, seems more than a few experts has confirm that Dream was a hijacked Arka Sahan that got renamed.
It was an unsubstantiated allegation, based on the appearance of the fruit only, but those who knew the late Wayne Clifton considered him a person of integrity so his story of the origin of the fruit was very likely true.  I think he deserves the respect.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:06:43 PM by johnb51 »
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 10:12:58 PM »
It was an unsubstantiated allegation, based on appearance only, but those who knew the late Wayne Clifton considered him a person of integrity so his story of the origin of the fruit was very likely true.  I think he deserves the respect.

I agree 100%. In all of this no one has ever elucidated why Wayne would have lied about the origin of his tree. He worked for the USDA and was fully familiar with what was needed to import propagation material. Actually, logic indicates that it would have been counter productive for him to lie. What would you rather buy, the top selection from a large scale 8 year breeding program in India (Arka Sahan) or a random seedling selection from a guy who collects fruit trees in his  +/- .50 acre back yard (Dream)? It doesn't add up. I've seen lots of people try to sell random stuff labeled as the new hot variety--I have yet to buy a tree as a random seedling only to find that it was grafted with the newest/most popular variety.

Anyway, drawing things back to the purpose of this thread. This hybrid sounds very promising. Dream is currently my favorite annona and cherimoya holds a certain mystique for those of us in Florida. I will be anxiously awaiting the results of trials here in the Sunshine State.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 12:03:31 AM »
Fair enough guys. I hope as more people grow both these varieties everything gets sorted out in the next some years.  Unfortunately, I don't grow them or really have any plans to grow these varieties. Just passing along info from a few experts/collectors that have much more experience with the varieties than I do.  We should at least though not call these cherimoyas when clearly they are hybrids.

I think being able to grow a cherimoya in socal has been the one fruit that floridians been jealous of us californians, lol.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 09:52:21 AM »
I have a couple and are growing in the ground in the grove in Homestead on rocky soil. Got them from Skhan.  Planted about a year ago. They grow extremely well. Straight up. Very clean. Looks like a big tree.  I have pruned them a couple to times to keep them small and develop heavy main trunk. Pictures to follow. Expecting flowers this spring.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:56:27 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 10:14:47 AM »

I hope you can grow this new variety as well, Carlos!
Mikey, send Carlos some scions ASAP.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:16:54 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark B

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »
I receive scions of Mike Dohan from a third party labeled as Dream x Bumpo is this the same that you are talking about?

I have several grafts of "Bumpo's Dream" growing in Miami.  Similar to a Cherimoya, they have an inferior heat tolerance to the other atemoyas that I grow. 
One graft that I did, on an original Dream tree (from Wayne Clifton), took well in spring, then lost most of its leaves to sunburn in summer.  This was the only branch of the tree where this was observed.   
Shortly after grafting, a fruit set, with hand pollination.  This fruitlet never grew larger than a pea and eventually turned brown and aborted.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »

I have several grafts of "Bumpo's Dream" growing in Miami.  Similar to a Cherimoya, they have an inferior heat tolerance to the other atemoyas that I grow. 
One graft that I did, on an original Dream tree (from Wayne Clifton), took well in spring, then lost most of its leaves to sunburn in summer.  This was the only branch of the tree where this was observed.   
Shortly after grafting, a fruit set, with hand pollination.  This fruitlet never grew larger than a pea and eventually turned brown and aborted.
thanks for answering I have a couple of grafts on a squamosa growing fast, but not flowering yet, I'll report when that happens if they can deal with my warm weather
El verde es vida!