Author Topic: Determining mamey sapote ripeness (from the store)  (Read 655 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Determining mamey sapote ripeness (from the store)
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:58:20 AM »
Just found theese were available and they seem way under ripe now, compared to those past year when they were alot more softer and had the right colour under the peel.
Now i know the scrape method, tested it on some of them and the color underneath is a light greenish/yellow , no salmon colour.
Almost every fruit was rock hard, some of them were getting a bit softer, csraped those a bit and its the same greenish colour.
Last year i bought a rock hard one and it just molded inside instead of ripening. I quess they will not properly ripen ,to be consumable, no ?
My main target of course are the seed ,but do they have a chance on sprouting if they come from an underripe fruit ?

I am just highly let down by this, since i'm a big fan of tropical fruit and will buy everything new, but the stores just sabotage themselves importing such bad guality fruits. People will buy once and never buy again, there will be no demand on those fruit ,thus no availability. Thats a big shame, the prices are also skyhigh for a fruit that deserves to be in the garbage can........

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Determining mamey sapote ripeness (from the store)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
Mameys that are picked under ripe will soften up and can taste good, but they will never ever taste as good as one picked ripe from the tree. To tell if a mamey is ripe you can scratch it like you did. Problem with that is even the store bought mameys, when soft, tend to show an orange color even if they were scratched a week ago and showed a green color. it is not the same as fresh off the tree. Anyway, I have gotten high germination rates on ones from the store, wouldn't hurt to try.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:02:11 AM »
The scratch test is all I know but unfortunately it's kinda hit or miss. Sometimes the fruit will ripen nicely, other times it will only ripen in one small section and the rest will be rock hard kind of like super green avos.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, i will buy one or two next week, hopefully they get softer and i am able to pick the ripest ones from the pach.
Last year i did not had any succes with the seeds, i even had one that had germinated and had roots, yet still it molded and rotted. I used peat moss and soil also, same story.....

Mameys that are picked under ripe will soften up and can taste good, but they will never ever taste as good as one picked ripe from the tree. To tell if a mamey is ripe you can scratch it like you did. Problem with that is even the store bought mameys, when soft, tend to show an orange color even if they were scratched a week ago and showed a green color. it is not the same as fresh off the tree. Anyway, I have gotten high germination rates on ones from the store, wouldn't hurt to try.

Jaboticaba45 did u plant them whole ,i mean with the shell, or u pry it open and planted only the embrio ?? Thanks!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies, i will buy one or two next week, hopefully they get softer and i am able to pick the ripest ones from the pach.
Last year i did not had any succes with the seeds, i even had one that had germinated and had roots, yet still it molded and rotted. I used peat moss and soil also, same story.....

Jaboticaba45 did u plant them whole ,i mean with the shell, or u pry it open and planted only the embrio ?? Thanks!
Just threw them in whole. Some were germinating with roots when I took them out of the fruit.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »

I recommend a pretty bland soil mix for them like citrus / cactus mix that has lots of sand and stone in it for drainage. They are prone to root rot.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »

I recommend a pretty bland soil mix for them like citrus / cactus mix that has lots of sand and stone in it for drainage. They are prone to root rot.
thanks , i will make a fast draining substrate with perlite and sand as u reccomend  and will plant the seeds whole with the shells.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk