Author Topic: My citrus collection [EU - Antwerp]  (Read 11093 times)

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
My citrus collection [EU - Antwerp]
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:15:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

In summer of 2021 I started my citrus collection with a few plants from Lenzi, and have kept learning and adding varieties during the year. I thought I'd just make a topic to put some information about my plants, my experiences and people are free to ask questions if they have any.

I'm located in the city of Antwerp and while the back of our house and garden are facing south, the hours of sun can be limited due to walls and buildings blocking the sun. So I keep my citrus plants on a flat rooftop, two stories high up and get a reasonable amount of sun there I think (it's not at the top of the house, I still get some shade from other buildings). Downside is that it can get a bit more wind up there. Other than that, the winter temperatures are not too harsh here in the city I think. According to the book from Olivier Biggio "Agrumes résistant au froid" I'm on the edge between zone 8A and 8B.

These are the varieties I have now:

- Yuzu
- Yuzu N°3
- Smooth Skin Hanayuzu
- Yuzumelo / Yuzu x Citrumelo
- Thomasville Citrangequat
- US119
- Furrowed Bitter Orange
- Taiwanica
- Sudachi
- Eremolemon Coachella
- Prague Chimera
- Shekwasha
- Keraji Mandarine
- Changsha Tangerine
- Okitsu Satsuma
- Maxima Satsuma
- Enzo Pomelo
- Citrangequat 4 Season
- Meyer Lemon

Some of them came from Lenzi and are on carrizo rootstock, so I am taking scions from them and grafting them onto poncirus. I had never made grafts before and from reading on the internet it seemed like I should not expect a high success rate, but it really wasn’t an issue. Most of them succeeded and if they failed it was often when the mother plant wasn’t doing very well at the time or if the scion was just a terrible piece.

Here you can find more information about my plants, the rootstocks, my grafts, and any information I collect:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bDS69kX9iBFFes3AHoAaj-wvSEzkFKqQe8QJ008WsaE/edit?usp=sharing

I’m still looking to add a lot of varieties, this is what I still have on my list right now

These I have no good source for yet (Vessieres doesn't reply again):
- Kumquat Nameïwa
- Clemyuz22 (or Clemyuz33)
- Kishu(-mikan)
- Tachibana
- Eremomandarin
- Bloomsweet / kinkoji

Quissac has these two, but they are expensive, so still looking for alternatives or get scions:
- Yuzu Nishiki Tada
- Yuzukichi

These I think I can get from Adavo, but I'm still interested in scions (just less of a priority):
- Ichang lemon CRC 1215
- Trifeola
- Satsuma Hashimoto
- Satsuma Iseki
- Citrangeremo
- Eremorange
- Kabosu
- Ichangensis x Sinensis
- Citrus glauca x shekwasha

For these I know someone in France that is willing to send me scions:
- Satsuma Collot
- Satsuma Corsica SRA 145

And this one I should get from a local nursery in August, he says it's very cold hardy, when I go there I'll try to get more information about it, because online there is nothing to be found about it:
- Kumquat Rafael

I'm also interested in making crosses in the future, so Poncirus+ would also be nice to add to the collection.

If you see a variety on my list that is not worth getting, or if you think a variety should be added to my list, please let me know!

And if you can help me with scions, I’d be very happy to talk about that.

I'm also happy to share scions, but I don't know when I will have which variety available as my plants are rather young right now so I don't get many good scions from them.

Here is a picture of most of my plants together:

Feel free to request pictures of specific plants.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:25:21 AM by Peep »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: My citrus collection [EU - Antwerp]
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
I noticed you listed Ponkan Mandarin on the don't want list.  Ponkan is not only a good fruit, it is a great tree..  I would urge you to reconsider.  You will be happy if you do.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:16:52 PM by Millet »

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 03:08:57 PM »
I noticed you listed Ponkan Mandarin on the don't want list.  Ponkan is not only a good fruit, it is a great tree..  I would urge you to reconsider.  You will be happy is you do.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for taking a look! I originally added Ponkan because I read great things about the fruit, but found out hardiness seems to be -9 / -10, while I try to only include things starting at "reported" -12°C. It's why I will sell my Meyer lemon, even though the fruit is good. Kishu is an exception on my list because I might like it for crossbreeding (and maybe I also have a weak spot for cute tiny mandarins similar to the shekwasha ;D ).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:20:44 PM by Peep »

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 05:25:05 PM »
Hi peep,

I have
- Tachibana
- Eremomandarin (not the cross with Shekwasha)
- Trifeola
- Citrangeremo
- Eremorange
- Ichangensis x Sinensis

I may be able to send you Clemyzu22 and Clemyuz33 the next year. By now, my grafts have not yet budded.

I live near Aachen (Germany), so not so far from you.

Till

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 05:50:12 AM »
@Till That's great! Let me send you a PM.

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 03:46:43 PM »
Hi Peep,
That is a nice collection you got there! I happened to have bought the Satsuma Miyagawa and Iseki from Adavo this year, so I would be able to send some budwood later this year.
I had ordered some Kabosu from Adavo some years ago, but by now all of the trees have died. They might carry a disease. Anyways, I contacted them and they said they would have new plants available in august this year.

I would be interested in your Yuzu N°3 and Hanayuzu if you have some budwood available :)

Hi peep,

I have
- Tachibana
- Eremomandarin (not the cross with Shekwasha)
- Trifeola
- Citrangeremo
- Eremorange
- Ichangensis x Sinensis

I may be able to send you Clemyzu22 and Clemyuz33 the next year. By now, my grafts have not yet budded.

I live near Aachen (Germany), so not so far from you.

Till

Hi Till, I would be interested in the Tachibana if you happen to have some budwood

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 03:57:49 AM »
A really interesting collection, both the ones you have and the future possibilities.
Well over half unknown in Australia, even in research collections.
I hope to learn more about them.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 10:16:57 AM »
Hi Peep,
That is a nice collection you got there! I happened to have bought the Satsuma Miyagawa and Iseki from Adavo this year, so I would be able to send some budwood later this year.
I had ordered some Kabosu from Adavo some years ago, but by now all of the trees have died. They might carry a disease. Anyways, I contacted them and they said they would have new plants available in august this year.

I would be interested in your Yuzu N°3 and Hanayuzu if you have some budwood available :)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind about the Miyagawa and Iseki! I am also wondering about the safety of getting Kabosu from Adavo, don't want plants with the HLB virus. I know Lenzi had his Sudachi tested.

Can't promise yet if I'll have budwood available of the smooth skin hanayuzu and yuzu N°3, but I will write it down so I can check in autumn. I do have Yuzu N°3 plants available that I have grafted this spring, if you are interested.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »
A really interesting collection, both the ones you have and the future possibilities.
Well over half unknown in Australia, even in research collections.
I hope to learn more about them.

Thank you. I'm excited about making some crosses myself in the future. This year I removed all flowers and focus on plant growth, so not sure when I will start. Even if I don't create the next popular and useful new hybrid, I think it's still fun and amazing to have some unique plants.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »
I am also wondering about the safety of getting Kabosu from Adavo, don't want plants with the HLB virus. I know Lenzi had his Sudachi tested.

you mean CTV not HLB :)

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 10:52:37 AM »
you mean CTV not HLB :)

Yes indeed, although preferably they won't have either  ::)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 04:03:40 PM »
true

flos

• South Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 08:34:06 AM »
hi peep,
If you are still looking for clemyuz22, I could send you bud wood.
For Kinkoji I have to see if it's ready yet.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
Hi Flos
I thought about asking you if I could just drive up to get 2-2 budwood since Antwerp is just north of my town of Cincinnati Ohio USA.  I am interest in2-2 but more interested in viewing your citrus collection.  After I looked at the map and saw it was a 3 hour drive I decided not to ask you.  My wife also said "NO MORE CITRUS TREES".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:45:31 AM by poncirsguy »

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »
hi peep,
If you are still looking for clemyuz22, I could send you bud wood.
For Kinkoji I have to see if it's ready yet.

Thanks you very much for the offer. Maybe in Autumn is better? I can write your name down and the varieties you have, together with wat Till and Mikkel have, and then see in Autumn what's best regarding who can send what. So the least amount of effort and shipments have to be made by the people helping me :)

Hi Flos
I thought about asking you if I could just drive up to get 2-2 budwood since Antwerp is just north of my town of Cincinnati Ohio USA.  I am interest in2-2 but more interested in viewing your citrus collection.  After I looked at the map and saw it was a 3 hour drive I decided not to ask you.  My wife also said "NO MORE CITRUS TREES".

Are you mixing up the town Antwerp in Ohio and the city of Antwerp in Belgium? I'm from the latter.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:37:37 AM by Peep »

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 10:56:27 AM »
    Are you mixing up the town Antwerp in Ohio and the city of Antwerp in Belgium? I'm from the latter.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:37:37 AM by Peep »

I just wanted to see a map of Antwerp in Europe and google sent me a map with driving directions with times to Antwerp Ohio  USA So I thought I would comment on it.  I had no idea that there would be an Antwerp Ohio.  Ohio covers 116096.22 Square kilometers and I only know the Cincinnati corner.  Doe to disease problems I don't swap citrus of any kind.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »
Didn't expect to get excited about something like new plant pots while I'm in my twenties, but I guess here we are.

Also quite the struggle to find good quality, inexpensive pots that aren't black, too decorative, too ugly, or only sold in bulk for nurseries. Earlier I bought a bunch of brown "Toledo" pots from the Action, but they are only available during spring, didn't expect them to be out of season so quick. Now I've settled for these, bit more expensive, but I like the look better, especially in terracotta color: https://artevasi.com/product/venezia-cilindro-pot/
Bought the whole stock from the webshop/dealer most local to me   ::)

Bunch of 20cm pots:

As my rooftop can get a little hot, and I'm not sure the roots would like the heat in the black pots, I'm moving away from them.

And some 30cm:

Unfortunately my dealer didn't carry the 25cm size, so my quest for pots continues.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:35:11 PM by Peep »

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2022, 04:58:27 PM »
Made two grafts today, a Sudachi for @incubator01 and a Furrowed Bitter Orange for myself, both on poncirus. Scions taken from plants that I got from Lenzi, which are on carrizo.

The bitter orange scion:

Cut in the whip and tongue style:

Quite happy with the fit:

One more angle:

Wrapped in tape. It's grafting tape, but the cheap kind. Not the good/expensive parafilm kind. So far the cheap one has worked fine, but I'm probably going to try the expensive tape soon.

And bagged, I spray some water inside it for moisture:

The Sudachi scion was quite thin and a bit harder to graft, but it still went pretty well I think:

And done:

Also a picture of my Prague Chimera, it really is an unique variety. The young branches are like jello so I put lots of stakes, but it's growing better than I expected:

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 02:34:26 AM »
Nice work. The graft unions are barely visible, especially with the bitter orange. I have always used cleft graft but might just try whip and tongue next time.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »
Nice work. The graft unions are barely visible, especially with the bitter orange. I have always used cleft graft but might just try whip and tongue next time.

Thanks! And I don't think whip and tongue is that much harder than cleft graft. Only when the scion is very thin and soft it can be risky to cut too deep when making the second cut (the little tongue), and when that happens the knife often slips to one side so you just end up cutting a piece off from the scion. Best way I found of doing it is just rocking the knife like a children's seesaw, and not really pushing the knife down or making a regular cutting motion.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 02:30:12 PM »
Does someone know what causes the leaf stem/veins to turn red like this?

It happens on some of my rooted poncirus cuttings:

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 02:58:39 PM »
A lot of plants will do this red thing to protect themselves against UV light damage.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 04:40:22 PM »
A lot of plants will do this red thing to protect themselves against UV light damage.

That could very well be possible! These cuttings were recently moved outside, I've now put some plants besides them for shade.

I do also get the dark red/brown new growth on some of my citrus varieties, which I found out is also for of UV protection. But it looks different from the brighter red color on the cutting, I guess either because the leaves aren't as new, or maybe it just looks different on poncirus?

I find it quite fascinating how the plant protects itself like this

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 07:30:46 PM »
It may be a phosphorus deficiency.  Tomatoes look like that when there is insufficient phosphorus.  In any case use a water soluble fertilizer and spray with trace minerals for citrus.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
Does someone know what causes the leaf stem/veins to turn red like this?

With Poncirus it is a type of autumn leaf colour change in response to cold, it is a deciduous species.
In a group of seedlings you could get various shades of orange /red on individual trees, up to bright red.
When they are neglected or underfertilized, they will turn colour earlier than trees still active,
so deficiency seems to be also a trigger factor.

The red growth tips on Citrus is as said, UV protection. It is very common in other non Citrus rainforest plants in Australia, highly ornamental.
Red growth tips in Citrus usually indicates Lime / Citron ancestry.
Rangpur, Lemon, Rough Lemons etc also have pigmented new growth.
Some Papedas also have pigmented new growth, i.e. Makrut / Kaffir Lime