Author Topic: Citrus topworking video using plate grafting (in Spanish)  (Read 593 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Citrus topworking video using plate grafting (in Spanish)
« on: September 01, 2022, 06:49:15 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBf04qhhghU
Video in monotone Spanish showing plate grafting, using as many as 5 buds at a time. Rather wasteful of buds, but increases the chances of success. The use of white paint is to semi-permanently indicate the location of the graft.
This procedure is probably only practical for top working established Citrus, not seedling rootstock. I've used a simpler form of this successfully.

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Citrus topworking video using plate grafting (in Spanish)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 08:37:56 PM »
It might be useful with Chinotto, that has very close spaced buds. Often hard to find a good stick with spaced buds. ( I usually used very tiny chip buds ).
I have tried something similar with Microcitrus with thin angular twigs, i.e. half the twig side on so it has a face with two buds. Took Ok, but didn't always shoot well.
Maybe this has better cambium contact ?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »
The graft show is identical of how one grafts walnuts. I call in a patch graft.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 02:53:24 PM »
Millet, I've used a citrus graft that surrounded the whole circumference of the 1/2" stock. It worked fine and probably didn't take much longer than other forms of grafting. If the graft were to fail, it would essentially be a girdle of the stock.