Author Topic: Kiyomi vs. Clementine  (Read 585 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Kiyomi vs. Clementine
« on: November 12, 2022, 06:18:43 AM »
How are the qualities of Kiyomi compared to Clementine. Do they have advantages fro crossings?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Kiyomi vs. Clementine
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 03:03:03 PM »
You can read the variety data on the UCR CCPP website here. They recently updated the information sheets so it might not have as much of the older data.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus-varieties/alphabetical-order

I grow both of them, the Kiyomi is a large fruit, thick skin so no critters will eat through the fruit. The taste is good, very juicy, once in a while it has seeds, mostly seedless. Very reliable producer, fruits hang in cluster, very heavy but the branches also will be thicker so it can handle the weight of the hanging fruits. Tree grows vigorously and a grafted branch can hold many large fruits in 2 years. Kiyomi is one of the parents of Shiranui (sumo) so it might be a good one to use. The other parent fruit is the Ponkan, I like the taste of Ponkan fruit better than the Kiyomi.

The Fina Clementine I grow have very good taste, I like it better than Kiyomi. The Clementine has thin skin, easy peel, normal number of seeds per fruit (4-7), flesh texture is a little different from other mandarins, so I like it. I also notice that the seeds are located in each fruit sack in the middle (like floating), not near the center of the fruit like most citrus. Seeds are also shaped like a thin/flat ellipsoid. Fruit is much smaller(70g) than Kiyomi(340g), shape if very round/spheroid. The tree/branches are thin, growth is slow.

I don't cross any of my citrus, just eat the fruits and always searching for the best tasting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 03:30:32 PM by sc4001992 »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 05:28:11 PM »
Kiyomi vs. Clementine

The first thing that came to mind when i read this was either video games or Japanese Anime.
Something like a Samauri sword wielding Kyomi vs a six gun toting quick draw cowgirl Clementine.
Maybe set in Texas ( Remember the Alemow ).

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 06:35:23 PM »
sc4001992,

If you can keep the bees off from the clementine flowers, you will get seed free fruits, but lower yield.    That is how clementine farms do to produce seedless fruits. 

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 04:33:12 AM »