Author Topic: Thornless Mexican Lime  (Read 1005 times)

mxcolin

• USA, Rocklin, CA - Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Thornless Mexican Lime
« on: November 26, 2022, 04:32:13 PM »
I bought what I thought was a thornless Mexican lime tree, but from my understanding, the fruit should be much bigger. I get plenty of fruit each year but they are all much smaller than I expected. Has this been mislabeled? This is a recent picture so the fruit has over-ripened. Almost all the limes are barely an inch in diameter.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Thornless Mexican Lime
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »
That is correct, Mexican limes are very small. See the UCR datasheet, says 1" to 1-1/2" size fruits.

If you wanted larger limes you should have purchased a Bearss lime, they can get to 2" to 2-1/2".

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc1710

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
The Bearss / Tahiti Lime is thornless. Most Mexican / Key Limes are thorny, except thornless selections. There are some bigger fruited selections of Mexican / Key also.
For many peoples tastes, the one you have is the true lime, and the Bearss is a very very close second flavour and fragrance wise.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
I have both key lime and bearss and I don't detect much difference. There is a Giant Key lime that can be ordered from CCPP but it says it has Wood Pocket disease.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 04:12:28 PM »
I have both key lime and bearss and I don't detect much difference. There is a Giant Key lime that can be ordered from CCPP but it says it has Wood Pocket disease.

I agree.  I have had thornless mexican and it has small fruit.  Giant mexican has larger fruit that tastes same.  But bearss/persian is large and seedless and tastes same to me as mexican types.  Some people say mexican is better but I can't taste a difference

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 02:36:16 AM »
I picked some fruits of both Bearss and Mexican Key lime and squeezed the fruits. When I tasted the two, I do notice that the Key lime is a little more sour than the Bearss, otherwise I do not taste any other difference. One Bearss lime gives more than 2x the juice of the Key lime.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 02:47:41 AM by sc4001992 »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:36:45 AM »
I picked some fruits of both Bearss and Mexican Key lime and squeezed the fruits. When I tasted the two, I do notice that the Key lime is a little more sour than the Bearss, otherwise I do not taste any other difference. One Bearss lime gives more than 2x the juice of the Key lime.

The real test is which one fits better down the neck of a Corona ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxmKsTvcLg

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 04:24:57 AM »
Yup, that's funny, I was going to say that was one positive for growing the Key lime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk