Author Topic: What tropical fruits can i grow (more info below)  (Read 1072 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
What tropical fruits can i grow (more info below)
« on: December 01, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
I live in north greece. Like right outside my house there is a mountain starting that is around 2000m so i have north blocked but i also have the south blocked from a shorter mountain. I want to enrich my backyard with more fruits, i currently have figs, pomegranates and persimmons and i recently just planted prickly pears (4 random varieties found on the wild) and passiflora edulis which might not end up well. Near me i have seen loquats, kiwi and blue crown passion fruit grown without protection so i am wondering what subtropical fruits i can grow. I will definitely plant feijoa and i want to try mexicola avocado which is supposed to survive as down as 15f. I get some low temps in January that go down to -6c at night but our days are pretty warm, up to 8c. I can plant trees on a south facing wall and i have a huge black container that was used to make wine to use as a heater using water. Any help appreciated!

Edit: forgot to mention, this summer was extremely wet especially june and july while the fall was almost rainless atleast 1 month and a half with no rain. Today our max was like 15c on my area.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 02:40:23 PM by Itsmedata »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What tropical fruits can i grow (more info below)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 02:52:08 PM »
A number of citrus should survive for you. Kumquat, Satsuma mandarin, and Calamondin to mention a few. Mulberries, Chinese by Jujube, sugarcane, and Cherry of the Rio Grande are some others that might work. Its not a fruit, but I think pecan might grow well for you if you could keep it well watered. If I were in Greece, I would also be growing grapes.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »
Szechuan pepper will grow there.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 03:02:17 PM »
A number of citrus should survive for you. Kumquat, Satsuma mandarin, and Calamondin to mention a few. Mulberries, Chinese by Jujube, sugarcane, and Cherry of the Rio Grande are some others that might work. Its not a fruit, but I think pecan might grow well for you if you could keep it well watered. If I were in Greece, I would also be growing grapes.
yeah i can grow some citrus and i know jujubes exist somewhere in my village so do mulberries i might try sugarcanes and i will google to see what cherry of the rio, my grandpa has a field of grapes too

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
yeah many peppers and vegetables grow here but i dont want them

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »
Che is another one that comes to mind.

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 07:09:29 AM »
Hi, If citrus are ok, you might want to try guava, cherimoya and white sapote. -6C is pretty chilly and will knock out most sub tropical plants. But it is always worth a try. :)

Best from Italy.
Orto1978

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 08:55:51 AM »

I would say no to Cherry of Rio Grande unless its potted. For me when the temp drops to the low 30s it will die back to the roots and is stupidly slow to grow back, as in years.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
Hi, If citrus are ok, you might want to try guava, cherimoya and white sapote. -6C is pretty chilly and will knock out most sub tropical plants. But it is always worth a try. :)

Best from Italy.
Orto1978
Not sure citrus are ok, i will try meyer lemon which will definitely work and i know clementines are ok. But oranges, limes etc would survive hardly i think the only guavas i can are strawberry and pineapple. Psidium guavja would be hard, Cherimoya wouldnt work but white sapote works from what i know

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:24 AM »
feijoa : ) edit: whoops I can't read sry
instagram @trumansacco

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »

I would say no to Cherry of Rio Grande unless its potted. For me when the temp drops to the low 30s it will die back to the roots and is stupidly slow to grow back, as in years.
I dont rlly want it so  i wont try at all

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »

Strange, mine has survived into the mid 20s with no damage. They are reported hardy to 20 or even a little lower. Maybe the die-back was un-related to the cold? Or possibly there was an underlying issue? I have heard that they suffer from a strange disorder in Florida that causes them to die back. Mine has grown fine--it just doesn't produce much fruit. I probably should have gotten a grafted tree instead of a seedling.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »

Just to clarify, zanthoxylym (the genus for szechuan pepper; which species is used is contentious and subject to political considerations) is a shrub/tree that is a fairly close citrus cousin.

It's completely different from both black pepper (piper nigrum) and chili peppers (capsicum).

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »

Just to clarify, zanthoxylym (the genus for szechuan pepper; which species is used is contentious and subject to political considerations) is a shrub/tree that is a fairly close citrus cousin.

It's completely different from both black pepper (piper nigrum) and chili peppers (capsicum).

Certainly deserves more press as it seems to be getting in continental Europe for its excellent pairing qualities, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a fruit.

-6C is what we have here in the part of Alabama where I'm planting stuff at the moment. I'm confident the Passiflora Edulis will come back from the roots when spring rolls around, but it and all of my mandarins and Meyer lemon, and limequat have all defoliated already during the first few frosts. Feijoa is looking great as is loquat. Some newer selections of strawberry guava and recent imports of Feijoa look like great choices and will be getting planted if I come across them.

One of my most exciting things to plant will be pears though, as I'm finding there are excellent selections which exist in nurseries, Asian and Euro types.

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned more frequently is Butia species.

I have a Butia capitata and a Butia eriospatha in the ground, and high hopes for both. Love the fruit from the selections I've found in California.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 01:22:24 AM »

Certainly deserves more press as it seems to be getting in continental Europe for its excellent pairing qualities, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a fruit.

-6C is what we have here in the part of Alabama where I'm planting stuff at the moment. I'm confident the Passiflora Edulis will come back from the roots when spring rolls around, but it and all of my mandarins and Meyer lemon, and limequat have all defoliated already during the first few frosts. Feijoa is looking great as is loquat. Some newer selections of strawberry guava and recent imports of Feijoa look like great choices and will be getting planted if I come across them.

One of my most exciting things to plant will be pears though, as I'm finding there are excellent selections which exist in nurseries, Asian and Euro types.

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned more frequently is Butia species.

I have a Butia capitata and a Butia eriospatha in the ground, and high hopes for both. Love the fruit from the selections I've found in California.
you think edulis wont produce fruits? I have planted one in a pot right now i still havent put it outside yet.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
Strawberry tree,Arbutus unedo
Pineapple Guava,Feijoa sellowiana
paw paw,Asimina triloba
Guabiju,Myrcianthes pungens(maybe)
Pecan trees?
Subtropicals in pots,greenhouse
Some tropicals inside the house

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 10:56:57 AM »
Strawberry tree,Arbutus unedo
Pineapple Guava,Feijoa sellowiana
paw paw,Asimina triloba
Guabiju,Myrcianthes pungens(maybe)
Pecan trees?
Subtropicals in pots,greenhouse
Some tropicals inside the house
i am thinking of paw paw but it isnt self fertile and i dont have much space, so i think i will go for just the 2 guavas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk