Author Topic: How to?  (Read 663 times)

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
How to?
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:01:04 PM »
How to propagate guavas by cutting?
If any one would be kind enough to share some knowledge.
What variety’s do you have out there?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: How to?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »
I believe it is very difficult to propagate guavas by rooting cuttings.  People have had some success with the "bag method" if you search this forum for it.

I've failed the 2-3 times I tried
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:20:31 PM by brian »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 06:42:55 PM »
I attempted to air layer a tree and it worked
I even attempted in the late Summer and no problem

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 10:09:31 AM »
Air layering works great in my experience, I hear grafting is difficult with guava though I’ve never tried. Then there is a situation where you wanna propagate from cutting because you may not have rootstock or the source of the tree is far away and it’s easier for source to send cuttings vs air layered rooted plant. A member here (orkine) gave me a cutting off his tree in sort of a “humidity dome” which was two Gatorade bottles fused together with duct tape. The cutting has rooted and it seemed like it took forever though many months to see a few roots and I’ve taken the top of the bottle off now and the few leaves have hardened off to the ambient humidity.

-Joe

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 11:02:39 AM »
Thank you to all who replied. I really appreciate everyone’s input. Has anyone tried using sand to propagate from cuttings?

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 12:33:39 PM »
Maybe try a low pressure aeroponic cloner. You can make one with a 5 gallon bucket, a pump, some poly tubing, hole saw, sprayers, net cups and neoprene collars.

Here's a good example but I made a circle of poly tubing with a riser and some tees and stuck a couple sprayers on the outside part of it. I cut off the bottom of the net cups instead of shoving the neoprene in the holes like the guy does in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfNrq1iq6E

Edit: nearpow makes decent infinite repeat timers for the spraying interval. I think we did 10 seconds on and 5 minutes off. You can do interval timing with a tasmota smart switch as well but I dont remember the command to set it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:36:47 PM by Vegan Potato Man »

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »
Approach grafting works the best, at least here in southern California.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 06:43:36 PM »
I've started cuttings many years ago now of hardy guava or Psidium littorale (lemon guava) in Spring with bottom heat and mist. Also have grafted tropical guava one from Ben P. called Brazilian Red onto old seedling tropical guava that had small fruit used whip & tongue in Mid to late Spring.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 06:47:14 PM »
I had no trouble getting P. longipetiolatum cuttings (growing tips with leaves trimmed slightly) to root just by putting them in water on a sunny windowsill and changing the water regularly. I haven't tried P. guajava.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 06:49:11 PM by drymifolia »