Author Topic: Amla root system?  (Read 457 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Amla root system?
« on: March 08, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
What type of root system does amla have? I have Indian and Chinese and need to relocate them. I also found out there is a sewer line very close to the surface and I have 3 citrus planted near it, so they need to be moved and I need to plan for different plants over there. Suggestions are welcome.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Amla root system?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 12:58:16 PM »
Amla has a fat taproot, so as long as you preserve that im sure the plants will be healthy. Its pretty hardy for poor growing conditions.

When you say sewer line, is it a city sewer line or a septic field line? if city, is it a larger sewer line or the one connected to your home? The city line materials, especially modern ones, are generally sturdy enough that most plants wont be an issue. Depending on the material of the line (if known) and soil conditions, citrus planted nearby may be fine, perhaps consider a cherry as they are shallow-rooted.

If youre talking septic, based on my own experience and understanding from working in that field, dont plant near it or on it. In addition to many potential health risks, the costs to repair/replace septic systems is bonkers.

Finally, my personal suggestion for something with shallow roots in your zone would be either Yauopon holly (Ilex vomitoria), beautiful plant with leaves that can be prepared for a great tea, or Southern Bayberry (Myrica cerifera), in addition to smelling good, would be awesome to graft some Yangmei in the next few years as scions become more readily available.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 05:49:27 AM »
Amla has a fat taproot, so as long as you preserve that im sure the plants will be healthy. Its pretty hardy for poor growing conditions.

When you say sewer line, is it a city sewer line or a septic field line? if city, is it a larger sewer line or the one connected to your home? The city line materials, especially modern ones, are generally sturdy enough that most plants wont be an issue. Depending on the material of the line (if known) and soil conditions, citrus planted nearby may be fine, perhaps consider a cherry as they are shallow-rooted.

If youre talking septic, based on my own experience and understanding from working in that field, dont plant near it or on it. In addition to many potential health risks, the costs to repair/replace septic systems is bonkers.

Finally, my personal suggestion for something with shallow roots in your zone would be either Yauopon holly (Ilex vomitoria), beautiful plant with leaves that can be prepared for a great tea, or Southern Bayberry (Myrica cerifera), in addition to smelling good, would be awesome to graft some Yangmei in the next few years as scions become more readily available.
It's a city one. I thought the sewer lines were deeper, but apparently my friend who planted the Citrus hit it, so it's a shallow one. What soil conditions do you need to know? We have clay here. Do you know what materials I should ask about? I can probably call my local MUD that info.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm considering papaya (last year store fruit was terrible, so I need to plant some) too. There are definitely options, but I would need to shift my plans around and prefer to not need to. The Citrus would be kept small, so I can cover it during winter, so I'm debating trying it anyhow.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
Honestly I would suggest calling your local Building/Engineering/Env. Health department and requesting that info, whoever regulates that for you there. Its all public information and should guide your decision.
Unfortunately, there is no national standard for these types of systems (To my knowledge), so I cant really be more helpful. When I worked in Env. Health in IL, septic and city sewer diagrams I reviewed varied in depth, material, size, etc. and it all depends on site condition factors such as soil permeability, soil composition, distance to groundwater, slope, flood hazard, etc. Of course, budget plays a role in that as well.

Papaya would probably be a decent shallow rooted option, or its relatives. But yeah regarding citrus, I think it just depends whats in the ground and how deep it is. I want to assume youre fine for a city line, but if problems come in the future dont blame me! lol.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 04:17:27 PM »
Honestly I would suggest calling your local Building/Engineering/Env. Health department and requesting that info, whoever regulates that for you there. Its all public information and should guide your decision.
Unfortunately, there is no national standard for these types of systems (To my knowledge), so I cant really be more helpful. When I worked in Env. Health in IL, septic and city sewer diagrams I reviewed varied in depth, material, size, etc. and it all depends on site condition factors such as soil permeability, soil composition, distance to groundwater, slope, flood hazard, etc. Of course, budget plays a role in that as well.

Papaya would probably be a decent shallow rooted option, or its relatives. But yeah regarding citrus, I think it just depends whats in the ground and how deep it is. I want to assume youre fine for a city line, but if problems come in the future dont blame me! lol.
Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I'll see what I can discover.