Author Topic: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?  (Read 77732 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife in your fruit trees ?
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2017, 04:58:39 AM »
Female Jackson chameleon on mulberry tree.

Oscar

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
It's either an eight-legged Giant Cuban Anole hanging out in our rollinia tree, or we might be seeing some more mini Giant Cuban Anoles running around soon.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2017, 08:31:35 PM »
Female Jackson chameleon on mulberry tree.

That's pretty sweet. I'm considering getting a pair to free range in my greenhouse. I used to breed chameleons when I was a kid. I'll just need to put some screen over my vents and door.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Found this Cuban Knight Anole digging a hole in my mango tree container to bury an egg which she just laid.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
Well, this one wasn't in the tree, but he came right down when the cacao pods were cracked open - the seeds are the ones I brought back from Hawaii, and the resultant trees are currently fruiting in my Boise Idaho greenhouse.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
This coyote had been climbing my tree and eating hundreds of peaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAxvnHOPME
Brad Spaugh

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »

That is something else!  I thought I just had to protect my dogs from the coyotes, now I need to protect my fruit trees?

Thank you for sharing!
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »

That is something else!  I thought I just had to protect my dogs from the coyotes, now I need to protect my fruit trees?

Thank you for sharing!

This has been going on for a few weeks now.  I am trying to remove the coyote that Ive nicknamed "peaches".  Hopefully he becomes fruit tree fertilizer soon.
Brad Spaugh

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »
This guy wasn't in my fruit trees, he preferred mangroves. My wife shot about fifty pictures. He was totally non-aggressive and hung around for a couple of hours. Never saw him (or her) again since that day. What a beautiful, albeit poisonous, snake.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Lately I've seen rats in my 'Tiger-Tail' Mulberry tree. I think I have to find a way to increase the number of cats that I own, and have them hunt more. It's been several years since they've left the severed head of a rat outside the residences's door, I really miss that.

My cats now are more: oh, I love you, you love me - kinda cats. By necessity, I find myself gearing up to train them to hunt rats again. And, if they want my love, they have to bring me some rat heads first - LOL.

I have it all planned out: (1) Teach them to kill rats, (2) Determine which one is best genetically predisposed to kill rats, and finally, (3) Propagate those cats. Then, I suppose I could say that I have a superior race of genetically engineered, professional rat killing cats.

(Perhaps I'm having a 'Caddyshack' movie deja-vu)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:44:57 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
Also get rat snakes or black racers.
Har

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »
Although not in a fruit tree, this is in a Christmas Palm.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
Here in FL, I think the only effective way to defend yourself against rats is with permanent bait stations. Just One Bite II seems to be a favorite for the rats here.

Lately I've seen rats in my 'Tiger-Tail' Mulberry tree. I think I have to find a way to increase the number of cats that I own, and have them hunt more. It's been several years since they've left the severed head of a rat outside the residences's door, I really miss that.

My cats now or more: oh, I love you, you love me - kinda cats. By necessity, I find myself gearing up to train them to hunt rats again. And, if they want my love, they have to bring me some rat heads first - LOL.

I have it all planned out: (1) Teach them to kill rats, (2) Determine which one is best genetically predisposed to kill rats, and finally, (3) Propagate those cats. Then, I suppose I could say that I have a superior race of genetically engineered, professional rat killing cats.

Jeff  :-)

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 03, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
Yes, I have'm too. I get startled when I bump into them every now and then. You can only really see them when they start to move. They also love to eat kittens; and I hate that.

Also get rat snakes or black racers.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
Thanks for the Just One Bite II suggestion, that may come in really handy.

I used to go out in the yard and eat the Mulberry fruit right off the tree, but not ever since seen the rats; birds I can handle and appreciate, but rats are just nasty! Now, I pick the Mulberry fruit and give it a water & vinegar bath for a few minutes, before eating fruit.

It can be really tedious to take measures to protect oneself from microscopic organisms. This is why I for one wish the AI Robots would finally get here and assist us with the tedious but very important shores; 60%-90% of our cells are alien bacterial cells! There are more alien bacterial cells in & on our bodies than our own cells!

Here in FL, I think the only effective way to defend yourself against rats is with permanent bait stations. Just One Bite II seems to be a favorite for the rats here.

My cats now or more: oh, I love you, you love me - kinda cats. By necessity, I find myself gearing up to train them to hunt rats again. And, if they want my love, they have to bring me some rat heads first - LOL.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
A water snake hanging out by the edge of the lake

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
California rattlesnake

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
Yesterday evening: Went to check out the 'Edward' mangos on the tree and found fewer hanging mangos than a couple of days before, and two of them had the bottom one third of them eaten off. Then, I followed my gaze to a fruited Papaya tree that's beside the 'Edward' mango tree, and there's a fruit-Rat on the fruited Papaya tree, with some small papaya fruit on it that had been clearly eaten at. I proceed to pick up a stone and throw it at the fruit-Rat that approximately 15 feet up in the canopy of the Papaya tree.

I thought I hit the fruit-Rat but instead, the stone bounces off the tree, dropping at my feet. I pick up the stone again and get ready for a second shot, but the fruit-Rat jumps off the 15 foot tall Papaya tree and lands on some 5 foot tall Ixora flower trees, and gets away. Needless to say, I was floored by this, a fruit-Rat that behaved like a Squirrel!

This has been happening every year, with the fruit-Rats going ONLY after the 'Edward' mangos. 'Edward' is regarded by some mango experts as arguably the best mango in Florida, the only problem being is that it appears to be a shy bearer. So, there are not enough 'Edward' mangos for me to share with the fruit-Rats (with impeccable taste).

I'm about to go off right now and remove all the remaining 'Edward' mangos from the tree. I normally don't mind sharing the fruit bounty with the wildlife. But, unfortunately, it looks like I have some kind of Caddyshack rodent war brewing here, with fancy fruit-Rats with impeccable mango fruit taste...

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
Put some mango on some rat traps and get rid of them.  I have mice eating my fruit.  I put out ten mouse traps every night for a few days and it makes a big dent in them.  I leave the dead mice out on a big boulder and the birds fly off with them.
Brad Spaugh

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »
Nice, your solution sounds easier & better than buying a BB-gun to shoot at the fruit-Rats and worrying that the pellets may fall on, and possibly damage, a neighbor's property; also, much less time consuming, and cheaper; thanx.

Put some mango on some rat traps and get rid of them.  I have mice eating my fruit.  I put out ten mouse traps every night for a few days and it makes a big dent in them.  I leave the dead mice out on a big boulder and the birds fly off with them.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 28, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »

Thank God these guys don't climb trees!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:57:31 AM by clannewton »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
One problem with Idaho - periodic plagues of Mormon Crickets!  These guys totally freak me out.  They are big, mean, fast, and although they can't fly, they can cover large distances just by running.

They are eating a lot of local gardens right now, but they are also very cannibalistic.  So if you start killing them, more come running in to eat their little friends.
If you try to "shoo" them away, they actually CHASE you.  And they BITE. HARD.

I have kept them out of the greenhouse so far, but my outdoor plants are in dire straits. Thank goodness for APHIS! They are treating farmland to try and stop the "march of horrors". Big problem is we had a really harsh winter and there is still a lot of flooding, so they can't bait a lot of places that they normally would. 

What to do? Well, the only thing I could come up with was to try and humiliate them, so they would skulk away, by making them pose for inappropriate photos...