Author Topic: Japanese citrus growers?  (Read 1158 times)

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Japanese citrus growers?
« on: November 23, 2022, 07:11:07 PM »
I'm interested in connecting with any citrus growers in Japan who are willing to ship to Canada, and who are growing Japanese varieties that are not common elsewhere. Personal use importation to Canada does not require a permit, and I have ordered a lot of Citrus depressa from Okinawa in the past with success, and with the cheap fixed-rate boxes available from Japan Post. I'm especially interested in Citrus tachibana, but am open to all varieties :)  Happy to pay by bank transfer or PayPal.

Thank you!

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese citrus growers?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »
I don't know how it works between Canada and Japan, but Japan has always been illegal to import from to Europe, and apparently rightly so with how common Tristeza seems to be in Japan.

Anyway, for the Tachibana you can ask this nursery in Italy if they ship to Canada: https://www.oscartintori.it/prodotto/mandarino-tachibana/

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 02:53:05 AM »
Are you importing fruit for consumption ? What is the time frame involved Japan to Canada ?
The ordinary post and priority from Japan to Australia is far faster than Australia to Japan.
There are plenty of websites in Japanese for individual Citrus farmers, but how to connect ??

Citrus canker on fruit is probably more of a problem than Tristeza via fruit.
Seed are not likely to transmit either, if hygiene controls used to extract seed from fruit from Canker areas.
Tristeza is mechanically ( graft ) or insect transmitted.

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »
Citrus canker on fruit is probably more of a problem than Tristeza via fruit.
Seed are not likely to transmit either, if hygiene controls used to extract seed from fruit from Canker areas.
Tristeza is mechanically ( graft ) or insect transmitted.

Yes, he never mentioned the word fruit so I was thinking he is talking about these varieties as plants, but I see that it makes more sense if he is talking about the fruit. I was probably a bit too tired. Tachibana fruit itself is also apparently not all that great tasting (of course everyone likes different things), but it can give good results for breeding.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:01:31 AM by Peep »

caladri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
Thanks for inviting the clarification, yes, I meant to be talking about fruit :)

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »
caladri do you mind sharing which growers in Okinawa you've ordered from previously? I inquired with one orchard but they said they can't ship internationally to US or Canada because of quarantine requirements.

caladri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »
Hi RS,

I wish I could help, but I'm not sure anyone would be able to ship to Florida! In the case of Canada, it's relatively easy to show people the CFIA ARS system (like the USDA's ACIR system) which shows there's no requirements on import for fruit. I've mostly been dealing with a growers through a friend who's in the industry, but I've had luck with one or two other places on my own. Looking at ACIR, it looks like you need a permit, can only bring in Citrus unshiu, it must be a commercial shipment, and must be from specific islands. It may be that some regions within Japan are subject to additional requirements I'm not encountering, too.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
Thank you, that's helpful that it's just explaining the CFIA ARS import requirements for fruit (I have family in Canada). I'd found those USDA restrictions for FL and wasn't sure if there might be alternatives.

The orchard I inquired with specializes in buntan and konatsu. Will probably have to make a trip to Japan one day to try these.

Best of luck with your search!

caladri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 06:51:33 PM »
Oops, I have a typo: it's the AIRS system :)

And yeah, up to 20kg of citrus fruit can be brought into Canada from Japan without any documentation as long as it's for personal use, and not for resale. Have lots sent to your Canadian family!

Kamado

• I live in Japan.I will export plants overseas from
    • Japan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 03:35:04 AM »
Hi,

I live in Japan.
My house is a citrus farmer.I also have a master of citrus seedling.He is an old man.I think he is the person who knows the most citrus in Japan.

I will export plants(seed grafted,and seedlings)overseas from this year.