Author Topic: varieties to eat in whole  (Read 1855 times)

quinoah

• europe
    • View Profile
varieties to eat in whole
« on: February 06, 2023, 04:07:40 PM »
which varieties beside kumquats could be eaten in whole? sweet rind,no bitterness in albedo and of course good tasting flesh.
indio mandarinquat should have these qualities. which else?
are there sweet lemons which also have a sweet rind?

thanks!

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
Re: varieties to eat in whole
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 05:08:45 PM »
which varieties beside kumquats could be eaten in whole? sweet rind,no bitterness in albedo and of course good tasting flesh.
indio mandarinquat should have these qualities. which else?
are there sweet lemons which also have a sweet rind?

thanks!

Buddha's Hand can be, although it's certainly a non-standard experience.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:21:35 PM »
New Zealand lemonade has a whole edible fruit.

quinoah

• europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 08:05:10 AM »
thanks so far!
can someone confirm that indio mandarinquat can be eaten in whole like a kumquat? I plantes mine last year, no fruits till now.

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »
I think people eat Eremorange whole. Someone also told me they prefer Citrangeremo over Eremorange for eating, and prefer Eremorange for marmelade. There is also Eremomandarin but it's sour I think. I don't know exactly how sweet Citrangeremo and Eremorange are, I haven't had fruit yet. 

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 11:28:34 AM »
I tried Sunrise lime whole. Kumquat is better. Yuzu also has a sweet peel without bitterness.

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 12:31:53 PM »
thanks so far!
can someone confirm that indio mandarinquat can be eaten in whole like a kumquat? I plantes mine last year, no fruits till now.

Yes, definitely you eat it as a whole

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 02:24:49 PM »
Red lime - rangpur kumquat cross
If u wait till the peel is red the skin is pretty good. I eat them whole but is sour and has some seeds. Nice thing is that it produces non stop. This is in a 25gal container, pic taken today

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
Has Yuzu really a sweet edible peel? I have two Yuzu trees. Plants and fruits look as Yuzu. The juice was also interestingly aromatic. But the peel was a bit bitter, certainly useful for baking etc. but I did not like to eat it. Too bitter. Are there Yuzu varieties around with different peel?

---------

Keraji mandarin has an interesting peel. It is not bitter and it has a peppery taste (like C. ichangensis but without bitterness). Ts is interesting to eat. The combination of sweet pulp and peppery peel is, however, not completely satisfying. So you better eat both parts seperately.

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »
Has Yuzu really a sweet edible peel? I have two Yuzu trees. Plants and fruits look as Yuzu. The juice was also interestingly aromatic. But the peel was a bit bitter, certainly useful for baking etc. but I did not like to eat it. Too bitter. Are there Yuzu varieties around with different peel?

To me it's not sweet. It's a bit bitter as well, but not as bad as some other citrus. I'd say it's not disgusting to eat, but also not interesting to eat as it is.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 05:33:09 PM »
Peep, I think we have tasted the same. That is how I also could describe my Yuzu peel. But that means it cannot really be recommended for eating.

LittleCitrusLover

• Bay Area - East Bay 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 12:14:16 AM »
Finger lime, limequat, and cara cara oranges are all great to eat all of. Some smaller navels, too. mandarins vary by variety/batch. Even some smaller navels.

I think of the rind and vesicles to be two parts of the flavor profile that I usually enjoy simultaneously. There's a lot that's added, imo,

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 12:35:51 PM »
Hyuganatsu is very rewarding eaten with the albedo intact, and the flavedo adds some more challenging flavours for enjoying the fruit whole, but a partial peeling results in something extremely enjoyable to eat whole or nearly whole. The ones with the wider season of availability which are grown in greenhouses seem to have an extremely small number of seeds, while the ones grown in fields (and therefore likely to have been open pollinated) anecdotally have much higher numbers of seeds.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 03:44:45 AM »
Hyuganatsu is very rewarding eaten with the albedo intact, and the flavedo adds some more challenging flavours for enjoying the fruit whole, but a partial peeling results in something extremely enjoyable to eat whole or nearly whole. The ones with the wider season of availability which are grown in greenhouses seem to have an extremely small number of seeds, while the ones grown in fields (and therefore likely to have been open pollinated) anecdotally have much higher numbers of seeds.
What does this one taste like?

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 02:44:12 PM »

To me it's not sweet. It's a bit bitter as well, but not as bad as some other citrus. I'd say it's not disgusting to eat, but also not interesting to eat as it is.
The fruits I tasted were without bitterness in the peel. Maybe it depends on the season or on the clone. Or from personal taste preferences))

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 08:52:04 AM »
Yes, but does the rind taste sweet, is it aromatic, ...?

Blondie70

• Poplarville, MS zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
Thomasville Citrangequat is good eaten whole. But most people spit out the seeds....your call...ha.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 12:17:52 AM »
Thomasville Citrangequat is good eaten whole. But most people spit out the seeds....your call...ha.

Can you describe the taste?