Author Topic: Lateralizing Branch Experiment- Success  (Read 5971 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Lateralizing Branch Experiment- Success
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:16:52 PM »
Some of you may have seen the post I started on the old GW where I decided to lateralize the upright limbs on the Keitt tree I planted in the ground in August 2010. (Here is a link to the old post :  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0421125121584.html )

Here are the pictures before, during  and now. I am very pleased with the results. All of the tie downs were removed starting 4-5 months ago and the branches have not tried to rebound. The canopy is taking on a nice open, airy and  rounded shape

BEFORE: 3/11

DURING: 4/11

NOW: 3/12

ps those are jakfruit seedlings in the pots underneath
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:28:41 PM by MarinFla »

MarinFla

• View Profile
Re: Lateralizing Branch Experiment- Success
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »
I forgot to mention that I gently tip pruned the terminal bud out from the end of almost every branch of new growth to get it to fill out the way it has.

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
Wow the Now photo looks fantastic. Nicely done!

-Luke

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »
Looks great. 

I've also seen this done by hanging various sizes of water bottles from branches, with the wire or string run through pieces of old garden hose to avoid injury to the bark.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
Since Keitt naturally develops an open growth habit with its branches as it ages, could this enhance the "open growing" nature of a Keitt  further and cause possible strength issues with these branches ?
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
Since Keitt naturally develops an open growth habit with its branches as it ages, could this enhance the "open growing" nature of a Keitt  further and cause possible strength issues with these branches ?

Hopefully not. By doing this I brought the bottom of the canopy and crotch of the tree to 3 1/2 ft above the ground. The way it was growing before it was already at  6-1/2 feet tall and growing high but very narrow.  By the time it got wider it would have grown ridiculously high.  I am planning  to try to keep it at a manageable height. Hopefully we won't have any Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes any time soon to test that!

Thanks Har and Luke.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »
Actually, 90-degree-angle crotches are STRONGER than narrower angles, and branches growing nearer the ground are in slower winds than branches above the fencelines and rooflines.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
My comment had nothing to do with the strength in strong winds (or hurricanes), it had to do with the natural growth habot of a Keitt.  Since Keitt naturally has an open spreading growth habit as the tree gets older (and Keitt's branches get rather hefty), will a "double spreading" issue arise since it is spread open now and will want to naturally spread open.  Just a thought, no facts or definite determinations at this point.
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »
My comment had nothing to do with the strength in strong winds (or hurricanes), it had to do with the natural growth habot of a Keitt.  Since Keitt naturally has an open spreading growth habit as the tree gets older (and Keitt's branches get rather hefty), will a "double spreading" issue arise since it is spread open now and will want to naturally spread open.  Just a thought, no facts or definite determinations at this point.
Rob I understood you thoughts but I think the thickness of the branches and how low they are will be no different than had it spread out on its own higher up. I don't expect a 'doubling' of the spreading effect. I think I just speeded up the process and lowered the canopy before the tree became very tall. I don't think the weight of a nice crop of mangoes will be a worry but Hurricane force winds do pose a threat and a worry at any level that is the only reason why I mentioned strong winds. Time will let us see how this pans out....I will keep a development diary of the tree and if I have any issues with limb loss or breakage.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
Looks great. 

I've also seen this done by hanging various sizes of water bottles from branches, with the wire or string run through pieces of old garden hose to avoid injury to the bark.

Har I really like your idea!! Protects the bark and keeps the landscapers from trying to chop my ties. You can tie the bottles high enough to allow the mowers and whackers to go under them! I will try that next time!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »
Your tree is absolutely beautiful.  It was very tall and upright before you trained it and now its absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing!
Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Looks excellent. Good work. Keep up the tip pruning. In a couple of years, you'll also want to start removing larger limbs (Dr Campbell has a video that better explains it).

A well kept (consistently pruned) keitt will produce gobs of fruit that will snap branches. I've been frustrated time and again with dozens of lost keitts due to broken branches. But, this is a problem whether the limbs are upright or horizontal. Fifteen 3+ pound fruits hanging from a branch is a bit too much, especially when the wind starts blowing :-).
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Marin,

the trees look amazing!  u r convincing me to prune my mangoes!!

great job!

thanks for posting
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi Marin,

The Mango looks awesome...luv the garden in the background :)

THX for sharing!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »
Great looking tree ,, and when it fruits it sure will be more good looking with such wide and symmetric branches ,,

Amr

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice words. I will post another follow up picture in 6mos to a year from now to see the progress.
I feel inspired!

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »
You inspired me too, I just did it on my mango tree to make it more compact.

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
Looks great. 

Har I really like your idea!! Protects the bark and keeps the landscapers from trying to chop my ties. You can tie the bottles high enough to allow the mowers and whackers to go under them! I will try that next time!
Id like to see what my HOA would say with that hanging bottle idea!

Marin-your tree is really beautiful, as is your garden.  :)

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
Looks great. 

Id like to see what my HOA would say with that hanging bottle idea!

Marin-your tree is really beautiful, as is your garden.  :)
Natalie I bet the HOA wouldn't complain if you used clear bottles with the labels removed and filled them with pretty colored water..... tree art :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk