Author Topic: Should I repot my lychee tree?  (Read 2407 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Should I repot my lychee tree?
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
I bought 2 15 gallon 6ft lychee trees in early February, one Sweetheart and one Mauritius. Since that time the Sweetheart has absolutely exploded with new growth as the high temps here have been between 85-100F almost every day. It has new light green leaves everywhere and is blossoming in two areas. My potted Mango and an in-ground Sapodilla that I bought at the same time have also been growing extremely well.

But my Mauritius hasn't done anything. Nowhere can I see any new growth except for a tiny little stem coming out a few inches above the base. It still looks healthy except for some leaf tip burn that was there when I bought but the Sweetheart was the same way too. I bought the trees in LA, and I'm in the Palm Springs area where it's hotter and drier, so could the Mauritius still be in shock 6 weeks later?

Do you think I should repot it? If so, should I put it in a larger container(it's only 6ft tall and not super bushy)?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:36:11 PM by WaterFowler »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Should I repot my lychee tree?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
If it were my tree I would repot into a little larger pot, but that's me...its up to you. I repotted mine not too long ago because it was drying out SO fast...we've been in the upper 80's for several weeks now :o(
Make sure you use a good quality potting mix that drains well...Lychees love water but not "soggy" wet soils...they like "moist" not sopping wet :o)

Your call of course...

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
I think I'll do that then with a 25 gallon container. I was thinking of a Kellogs Raised Bed since it has lots of bark fines mixed a cactus soil mix and perlite, with the bottom inch or two gravel for drainage. What mix did you use to repot?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »

Check out my answer on this link that was posted recently...I use the same mix for my Mango and Lychee...I would not bother with the gravel/rocks on the bottom. I've heard it doesn't aid much in better drainage. Good luck!

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=14959.0

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:12 AM »
The rocks/geavel at the bottom is really in the case where the pot a plant is going in is going to be its permanent hone or long term home.  If just going up a pot size to either eventually go into the ground or into another larger pot, dont use the rocks/gravel.
- Rob

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
I would argue that you can get root pruning by having rocks in the bottom of the pot.  A bad mix will retain water, rocks or no rocks.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
I guess rocks doesn't help with drainage but I do plan on putting these lychees in the ground next February when I decide where to put them. My house, my parents ranch or the home I rent out to a family member. They are all in the same general area but each has it's own little microclimate. I'd like to see how they do in this heat and dryness first. My renters house is probably best as it's slightly more humid, hot and has a lot less wind.

But will the rocks at the bottom help the tree not sticking to the bottom of the container when I pull it out and transplant it?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »
What do you mean by sticking?  What  size pot are they in and what size and type pot are you planning to put them in?

From whAt you are saying your plans are. I would not put any rocks in the bottom.
- Rob

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 12:34:20 AM »
Hey WaterFowler~ I agree with Rob...No rocks necessary. A good mix and steady watering are what your Lychee's need...especially in Palm Springs.
Best of luck to you.

Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk