Author Topic: Anyone ever grown/tried Tzimbalo ?( Solanum Caripense)  (Read 2905 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Anyone ever grown/tried Tzimbalo ?( Solanum Caripense)
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:33:06 AM »
Anyone have experience with this?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever grown/tried Tzimbalo ?( Solanum Caripense)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:03:58 AM »
Havnt grown it myself but read that it tastes like a tart cucumber with a tinge of sweetness.

Oscar sells the seeds on fruitlovers so Im sure he could provide more info:)
It reminds me of what they call fruit salad fruit a related plant that I have grown but is perpetually plagued by pests especially aphids

This family of plants is very interesting I found out a short while ago that nightshade berries are edible and they even make what is supposed to be a delicious jam from it at one of my local markets(I have been abit chicken to try though!)
Mandrake amazingly also makes an edible fruit and that surprised the hell out of me!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:06:18 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »

Variety I have is completely different to what you have pictured. Fruits are striped and only about an inch in size, foliage is different. I suspect they may be different things:

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 05:50:52 AM »
I have a couple but they won't fruit.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 05:58:17 AM »
I have a couple but they won't fruit.

I think we might have a bit of a taxonomical mix up here. The kind I have come from a plant cropping in England, which is confusing because wikipedia describes them as a tropical/ subtropical crop. The plant, and fruit, also looks vastly different from what Stuart posted. My guess is that the yellow one is something else. The one I have looks pretty much like a miniature pepino melon. Also, when I type S, caripense into google images, I don't get any yellow fruits as hits.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:09:10 AM by starling1 »

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »
Havnt grown it myself but read that it tastes like a tart cucumber with a tinge of sweetness.

It reminds me of what they call fruit salad fruit a related plant that I have grown but is perpetually plagued by pests especially aphids

This family of plants is very interesting I found out a short while ago that nightshade berries are edible and they even make what is supposed to be a delicious jam from it at one of my local markets(I have been abit chicken to try though!)
Mandrake amazingly also makes an edible fruit and that surprised the hell out of me!

Sorry if I wasnt clear these pics are definitly not Tzimbalo they are Mandrakes!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:21:41 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:23:16 AM »

Sorry if I wasnt clear these pics are definitly not Tzimbalo they are Mandrakes!

My fault, skimmed your post.

Well. we'll see how they work out. I don't mind pepino melon--an ok fruit.