Author Topic: Coconut cream mango...all baby fruit fell off  (Read 15586 times)

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cream mango...all baby fruit fell off
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
It looks like it will hold fruit this year so I hope to try another soon. 

I gave Malika more than a fair chance as I had one planted and wanted to taste it as much as possible.   Still prefer other types way more but I plan to grow some fruit on it now that it has size.   It is still in bloom and is doing well.      I am in no hurry to take it out with possible fruit on the way.   

Rather have an edgar, honey kiss or a half dozen others, however.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »
malika reminds me a lot of lemon zest. Even the sap smells similar. Excellent tasting mango. My only complaint is that it's a fungus magnet in my yard. Very difficult to keep healthy without fungicide in my area. (I know PIN gives it a high disease resistance rating.)
Jeff  :-)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
Looks my coconut cream came up empty as well. O well. Young tree and first year flowering so I guess it is what it is. Both it and the NDM#4 can live in shame with their naked spikes.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »
malika reminds me a lot of lemon zest. Even the sap smells similar. Excellent tasting mango. My only complaint is that it's a fungus magnet in my yard. Very difficult to keep healthy without fungicide in my area. (I know PIN gives it a high disease resistance rating.)

Mallika does very well in my yard when it comes to disease resistance. I got more than 50 mangoes last year; excellent fruit and a nice size as well. This year, it won't set as many fruit (many spikes with nothing on them, a bit like carrie in that sense) but I haven't seen powdery mildew or anthracnose on it at all. Same goes for Keitt.

Some of the Carrie and Lemon Meringue mangoes are showing signs of anthracnose. Never seen that before.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »
Yah, I think I've narrowed most of the issue in my yard down to proximity to the lake. The two malikas that were within a few dozen yards of the lake (both my property and a neighbor's) succumbed to fungal infection. I was able to bring mine back to life with copper + sulfur, but the neighbor's croaked due to non treatment.

Same goes for my keitt. The other heitts in the neighborhood that are 100+ yards or more from the lake have no issue with fungus. Five out of 8 or so mango trees around the lake have all died from fungal infection. Glenn and Edward are both thriving within a few feet of the lake, and a NDM is hanging on, but the rest slowly croaked within a period of about 2 years after having been successfully established. These trees were wide open and fully exposed to the breeze and with zero shrubbery / weeds nearby and in various locations around the lake, so the lake is the only conceivable factor.

The lake causes a heavy dew to settle on most plants from dawn until the next day. Even plants that you wouldn't think were susceptible to fungal issues (eg, jaboticaba, persimmon, and even jackfruit) are affected. Now that I've picked up a treatment regimen, things have been getting better.

The mallika that I have at the southern edge of the south lot (about 80 yards from the lake) is doing well.

Mallika does very well in my yard when it comes to disease resistance. I got more than 50 mangoes last year; excellent fruit and a nice size as well. This year, it won't set as many fruit (many spikes with nothing on them, a bit like carrie in that sense) but I haven't seen powdery mildew or anthracnose on it at all. Same goes for Keitt.

Some of the Carrie and Lemon Meringue mangoes are showing signs of anthracnose. Never seen that before.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »

Mallika seems to have inherited most of its features from the north Indian Dasheri (rather than its other parent, Neelam). Interestingly enough, Gary Zill has speculated Dasheri and the Burmese mangos (PPK, Myatrynat, etc) may share a common ancestor that accounts for their similar flavor notes and aromatic properties. LZ and Mallika could be distant cousins.  ;)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »
Very interesting. How is the Myatrynat mango? Never heard of that one.

Mallika seems to have inherited most of its features from the north Indian Dasheri (rather than its other parent, Neelam). Interestingly enough, Gary Zill has speculated Dasheri and the Burmese mangos (PPK, Myatrynat, etc) may share a common ancestor that accounts for their similar flavor notes and aromatic properties. LZ and Mallika could be distant cousins.  ;)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
Very sad to see my one Cogshall that bloomed very heavily has only a handful of fruits set on the tree...this is the second year it had a very poor fruit set and what few made it had anthracnose so bad plus the dreaded 'soft nose', none of them were edible. Mostly due to fungal problems...the first 2 years it had a great crop, nice size fruits and clean. But the last 2 years has been awful...I'm almost ready to take this one out and plant something else there .

These were the bloom a few weeks ago. Visually speaking it sure looked healthy enough...If I find 10 fruits on the tree now, I'd be lucky...my potted Glenn has 4x more fruits that this tree  >:(
I sprayed the tree with Liquid Copper but I know I started it way too late.

I'm going to spray the tree with Plant doctor and treat it for anthracnose regularly till next season and see how it does next year...if it doesn't improve I'm replacing it  :(

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
Nancy - just top work it.  There are plenty of far better varieties out there.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »
I don't know. I actually love cogshall. The trick, though, is to not let it ripen on the tree (to prevent internal breakdown). Excellent mango when picked mature green. Not super productive, but still produces decent crops. This year was a bad year for some cultivars.

If it just absolutely never produces where you're at, then maybe switch it to a more fungus resistant cultivar.

There is a product that is supposed to induce PM and thracnose resistance to the recipient tree. One study suggests that it's even as effective as sulfur against PM. Yet it's not phytotoxic and extremely benign (1 hour re-entry interval). The product is sold as milsana and regalia (Reynoutria sachalinensis).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225742852_Efficacy_of_MilsanaR_a_Formulated_Plant_Extract_from_Reynoutria_sachalinensis_against_Powdery_Mildew_of_Tomato_Leveillula_taurica

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
Cogshall...meh.  way too many better varieties out there.
- Rob

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »

Thank you both! I'll see how it does next year after the treatments...

Rob, I do not know how to graft (if that is what you mean by top working)...tried it a few times, I'm horrible at it! I only know how to "pug" a mango tree  ::) ;D

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 07:27:39 AM »
I'm not sure what happened to Cogshall.  I like the mango as well.  It has fallen in actual fruit-set significantly over the last number of years and I have no explanation as to why.  It blooms like a champ each and every year.  I have not sprayed at all during most years and that may have something to do with it. But, I have also had years where I have sprayed and crops were still on the light side.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »

Hi Harry, its good to know its just not my tree. I've had a great first 2-3 years fruit set on mine too...but the last 2 was horrible! I happen to like Cogshall too, but the fungual issues and soft nose disease has really been very disappointing  :(...I do have another one growing under some Oak trees that seem to have a little more fruit set and less anthracnose/PM. Now I just have to wait to see if it will get the dreaded soft nose?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk