Author Topic: Tropical fruit trees spacing  (Read 7673 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Tropical fruit trees spacing
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »
As title stated, since i have limited spacing is it ok to do 4 feet distance of the trees (such as soursop, atemoya, rollinia) or perhaps alternate spacing of 4ft with acerola?  Thank u

Suggestions are truly appreciated.

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical fruit trees spacing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
Hello,

it may be new for you, but 95% of the population will just ignore your question because you use strange measurement units that 95% of the population of this planet never learned about and not willing to look up and recalculating.

The general rule is 6 metre spacing for a under-story tree species for easy access and usually not touching each other.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
Hello,

it may be new for you, but 95% of the population will just ignore your question because you use strange measurement units that 95% of the population of this planet never learned about and not willing to look up and recalculating.

The general rule is 6 metre spacing for a under-story tree species for easy access and usually not touching each other.

lol as long as 95% of this site members is the 5% that use this strange unit you are good.   Think minimum I have seen is 5ft and that's pretty crowded as it is.  So I don't recommend any closer.   

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
If you are only wanting to produce fruit for your family and maybe give some away and you're tight on space, pack them in. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for backardies.  Different story  if you are a farmer, and want the biggest possible yields.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:29:28 PM »
Hello,

I think it's the opposite. He used the common form of measurement that most people on this forum use (most members are in U.S.)

I agree just pack em in there!

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
Yeah, footage and yards is the the norm here. Start talking cm and Celsius and you lose most Americans out of the conversation. Meters we get since they are close to a yard hehe. As to the initial, I think four feet might be pushing it. Those are smallish trees though so you might be ok. You might push to 5 if you can. 

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »
As title stated, since i have limited spacing is it ok to do 4 feet distance of the trees (such as soursop, atemoya, rollinia) or perhaps alternate spacing of 4ft with acerola?  Thank u

Most of the annonas you have listed do well in partial shade (according to my list, which could be wrong).
As said before 4ft might be pushing it but if you prefer variety I think you should be fine. You probably will not get a great a deal of production from anyone tree though.
Also, one benefit from having them closer together is increasing the humidity which will help pollination [http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17494.msg250123#msg250123]

Having Acerolas or even the Rollinias in between would be a good move since they bother are more shade friendly then the others. (again according to my list)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
Thank u so much for the responses. :)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
It drives me crazy, all these different units of measurement people throw out.  Why can't people just use the Klingon standard starting with the kellicam like most sentient interstellar higher life forms do?  You earth people are so parochial!

In any event, there is an approach called High Density Home Orchard (HDHO) that describes planting up to 4 similar growth pattern trees in the space normally reserved for 1 tree.  Idea being a back yard enthusiast doesn't need to handle 500 fruit of the same variety of orange all at once. 4 trees in the same spot would bear, say 150 fruit apiece, from varieties that have different maturity dates. Also saves yard space!

I'm still working this out since I started about 4 years ago, but the trees are healthy and productive.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
A link to an interesting high density backyard orchard spacing article

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/backyard-orchard-culture/

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:04:31 AM »
It drives me crazy, all these different units of measurement people throw out.  Why can't people just use the Klingon standard starting with the kellicam like most sentient interstellar higher life forms do?  You earth people are so parochial!

In any event, there is an approach called High Density Home Orchard (HDHO) that describes planting up to 4 similar growth pattern trees in the space normally reserved for 1 tree.  Idea being a back yard enthusiast doesn't need to handle 500 fruit of the same variety of orange all at once. 4 trees in the same spot would bear, say 150 fruit apiece, from varieties that have different maturity dates. Also saves yard space!

I'm still working this out since I started about 4 years ago, but the trees are healthy and productive.

i would love to see photos :)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 12:01:22 PM »
how far apart are they from each other?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
The UC is testing and Dave Wilson Nursery says; "If planting high density, plant as close as 18 inches apart for 2, 3 or 4 trees in one hole and 2 or 3 feet apart for hedgerow."

how far apart are they from each other?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
It seems to me that using a unit of measurement is likely to ger a response from people with experience using it?

Anyway, I also have limited space and have planted some specimens like sugar apple close around 5'.

Regards,

Gary

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
This is only from what I have seen in my yard so it may not be worth a hill of beans. I've found that you can be very successful  with close spacing if the rootstocks are the same or even very closely related, but unless you are using some sort of root barrier aggressive trees can negatively impact closely planted weak trees, even with pruning. Trouble is you might not see the competition untill 4 or 5 years down the road.  I thought I could get away with close spacing on my tatura since I was controlling the canopies, but it seems that some trees go into decline after fruiting when they are close to a tree that fruits at a different time of year, or is growing vegetatively.

Also rollinia is a monster, its almost filled out a 10 foot tall, 12 foot wide 4 wire espalier in 1.5 years, and can be prone to dieback with pruning so it may be tough to keep small

Rob

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
i spaced all my annonas at 10ft and its REALLY pushing it.  i would have liked to do at least 12ft spacing (4 meters)  i would not space anything under 10 ft.. 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »
I heard that there are online conversion tools that will convert feet to meters.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »
In FL, 12 foot spacing is closer to ideal for annonas. In CA, you might be OK with way less.

PS -- Rollinia can be big here in FL.
Jeff  :-)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »

Most of the annonas you have listed do well in partial shade (according to my list, which could be wrong).
As said before 4ft might be pushing it but if you prefer variety I think you should be fine. You probably will not get a great a deal of production from anyone tree though.
Also, one benefit from having them closer together is increasing the humidity which will help pollination [http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17494.msg250123#msg250123]

Having Acerolas or even the Rollinias in between would be a good move since they bother are more shade friendly then the others. (again according to my list)

My Acerola is a very dense plant. And documentation may have it shade tolerant,
but mine isnt flowering or fruiting like it should, not sure if its due to lack of sun or not.

When i plant things i take into  consideration how dense it is of leaves.
My fig seems to take up a lot of space, and not have  many leaves, and is shorter in stature,
so, i plan on planting  a taller plant next to it like mulberry (or maybe Juju ) that will tower over it
and i can prune back later on one side etc...

sorry for posting large images
but the uploader isnt working...

Heres a Jackfruit next to a moringa (right) about 3ft apart
the moringa is tall and skinny, and only shades it a little for a couple of hours mid-day.
guava in the back is about 6 to 7ft away

---

this fig is a Black Mission and will obviously get larger
but, i dont see it as a problem.
The red guava might get a little less light, but its getting plenty now.
the fig and red guava are about 5ft away.
.The Mex Cream guava is offset to the rear.

Guava, papaya, mimosa 4 to 6ft

this is the backyard corner. lots of stuff in a small area.

another angle...

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
Depends on growth habit of the fruit really, my soursop seedlings don't have big leaves and are growing mostly straight upright so I can get away with 5 foot spacing. My rollinia is pretty bushy, so it's about 10 feet away from everything since it grows outward.

Jackfruit can get huge, so unless you intend to constantly prune them you shouldn't try to cram a bunch into a small space.

Also depends on the variety, some mangoes can yield fruit and stay compact, others want to be huge to yield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk