Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Edible tropical mushrooms?

(1/2) > >>

LivingParadise:
Who can tell us more about different species, sources, how to cultivate, how to identify, etc?

From the old forum:
Re: Anybody know how to grow mushrooms?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »

I found this page which discusses the attempt to grow mushroom in Samoa. I figure they have similar conditions to here. I am considering trying the species they mention as successful (P. pulmonarius - tropical oyster, Auricularia polytricha - wood ear, Ganoderma lucidum - reishi, and Pleurotus citrinopileatus - golden oyster mushroom):

https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2007/03/01/daisuke-goto-the-first-to-cultivate-mushrooms-in-samoa/

I found multiple kits on Amazon for things such as pink oyster that seemed like they had a good chance of success. I can't recreate cool underground conditions here outdoors, and I don't want fungus growing in my house because it is too much work at the moment to do so in an environment that can be contained and will not cause mold growth in m house, which is a serious problem here in the Keys that can destroy your health and house value.

So I'm not ready to do this yet, but I will look into try some of these in the next year. The problem is that you have to wait so long to know if it was successful or not! But I do know that some mushrooms grow here, since I have some growing on stumps already in my yard. I just don't know how to identify them to be sure what kind they are, and if they are edible.

fyliu:
mushroomobserver.org to ID.
IDing wild mushrooms always comes with a big warning of you can die if you eat the wrong thing, don't trust online ID.

You can get kits from ebay to start growing them. To do all the stages, you need a sterile lab setup. I mean stray dust particles can be contaminants. See shroomery and mycotopia for cultivation info. Many of the threads are people growing magic mushrooms. Same principle applies to edibles.

Oysters are the easiest to grow. They put out lots of spores and can become a respiratory problem if you keep them inside the house.

It's hard to grow mushroom and plants because the fungus gnats will burrow into fungus and you'll have lots of maggot tunnels inside within a short time.

LivingParadise:
Thanks for that info!

ericalynne:
As a former professional mycologist, I can tell you that in general it is extremely difficult to get mushrooms to fruit. Growing the mycelium (the "roots") is pretty simple, but getting actual mushrooms is much trickier. It's something you want to do for fun and if it works, great! and if it doesn't, oh, well.

Many people are allergic to mushroom spores and in general, they want damp moist places to live, so I don't think inside the house would be a good idea, unless you have a special room or grow chamber. A greenhouse might work.

If you do try it, please let us know what works for you!

The array of textures and flavors of mushrooms besides the standard grocery store buttons, is wonderful and if you like eating, you will love tasting the different flavors. I myself have never grown them for eating, but just was a wild mushroom forager. The ones I grew in the lab were not the edible kind. The number of incredibly stupid mistakes that can be made by foragers is always astounding to me, but the penalties are high, so caution is advisable.

Erica

DimplesLee:
Pardon admins and mods

http://www.jmpmushroom.com/

LivingParadise,
There is a list of commonly eaten and cultivated mushrooms on that website (it's a mushroom growing startup in a tropical country) so just ignore the selling products part. I posted that link for the information presented there not the merchandise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version