Author Topic: Maha Chanok Sounds Like a Pretty Good (Decent/Worthy) Mango After All  (Read 10331 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok Sounds Like a Pretty Good (Decent/Worthy) Mango After All
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »
Mahachok is a good mango with great production but I prefer Cac, PPK, Shwehitha Pr even a NDM....I’m waiting to try sien ta lone has anyone had it?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
I really like it. It is similar to Julie, but in my opinion slightly better tasting. The flesh can be soft; some people may not like that. Definitely worth trying. I just grafted over 1/2 of one of my mallikas to it. One of the most endearing characteristics of the tree is that it will literally bear fruit a year after being grafted (and every single year after that). The most precocious mango I've experienced. Growth rate is ridiculously slow.

Your angie must be receiving nitrogen.

In the video Har commented about the bitterness of Maha skin.  My Angie is much larger than my Pickering.  I have to top it every year.  With Pickering I only cut the lowest branches because I don't want the fruit to touch the ground.
Yeah I guess I should stop the nitrogen.  But Pickering's been getting nitrogen, too.  How do you rate the flavor of Dwarf Hawaiian, Jeff?
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I really like it. It is similar to Julie, but in my opinion slightly better tasting. The flesh can be soft; some people may not like that. Definitely worth trying. I just grafted over 1/2 of one of my mallikas to it. One of the most endearing characteristics of the tree is that it will literally bear fruit a year after being grafted (and every single year after that). The most precocious mango I've experienced. Growth rate is ridiculously slow.

In the video Har commented about the bitterness of Maha skin.  My Angie is much larger than my Pickering.  I have to top it every year.  With Pickering I only cut the lowest branches because I don't want the fruit to touch the ground.
Yeah I guess I should stop the nitrogen.  But Pickering's been getting nitrogen, too.  How do you rate the flavor of Dwarf Hawaiian, Jeff?

Jeff, are you talking about Sienta Lone? I have one fruot that is about 4 inches long, cant wait to try it. it is considered top mango and is highly prized.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
I’m on my third round of replacing trees for trees that taste better

Got no room and have an m-4, orange sherbet and pina colada needing spots

Providence, Pickering and maha chinok are going to be re homed to make room

I love the Providence but it has major powdery mildew problems at my place

Not fond of that spice flavors others enjoy on the maha

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
I don’t detect any spice flavor in Maha but everyone’s palate is different.

Maha is a good mango but I consider it a notch below the elite Mangos. Maha has an extended season at my place and often has an early and late crop. I wouldn’t turn down a Maha but it lacks the Wow factor for me. It does have a beautiful shape, color and smell.

Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »

I remember a time, qa few years ago, when Maha Chanok and Angie were the most talked about varieties in the Forum.  I would be surprised if either one of them got into anyone's top 15 list now. That said, I like Angie more than MC.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 02:24:13 PM »

I remember a time, qa few years ago, when Maha Chanok and Angie were the most talked about varieties in the Forum.  I would be surprised if either one of them got into anyone's top 15 list now. That said, I like Angie more than MC.

Thats mostly thanks to Richard Campbell (as to Angie) and Harry (as to Mahachanok).  Sorry Harry...

BTW, Sheehan is a big lover of Mahachanok.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
Dwarf Hawaiian.

Jeff, are you talking about Sienta Lone? I have one fruot that is about 4 inches long, cant wait to try it. it is considered top mango and is highly prized.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »
Dwarf Hawaiin is a "re-name" of what was originally known as Tete Nene or Tete-de-Nene in Puerto Rico.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »

Thats mostly thanks to Richard Campbell (as to Angie) and Harry (as to Mahachanok).  Sorry Harry...

You're right about that, Rob.  That was when this forum was just getting started!
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Try eating it when it just barely starts to yellow (still half green). If you snap off a leaf and smell the sap, it's a south east asian smell, but you have to eat them at the right stage. When fully ripe, the spice (and most of the flavor) is gone, and it's a fairly boring mango.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Try eating it when it just barely starts to yellow (still half green). If you snap off a leaf and smell the sap, it's a south east asian smell, but you have to eat them at the right stage. When fully ripe, the spice (and most of the flavor) is gone, and it's a fairly boring mango.

Har and Chris both called the flavor "complex."
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »

Some may say that "complexity" comes from being underripe.  Hahahahaha (sorry, Jeff...had to do it).  Then again, the mango in the video did not have the look of an underripe mango.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
:D Well, to be pedantic, the slightly underripe condition raises both the tart and SE Asian spice notes, which would contribute to the flavor complexity.

I was a little taken aback when they said that the fully ripe MC they were eating was "complex." I thought the mango was compost fodder the first 3 years I tried it because I was eating fully ripe, in which state the mango was pretty bland.

Some may say that "complexity" comes from being underripe.  Hahahahaha (sorry, Jeff...had to do it).  Then again, the mango in the video did not have the look of an underripe mango.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Jeff vs. Rob--the Battle of the Mango Titans! ;)
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »

Jeff, I tried some slightly less ripe last year and it did have a slightly better overall flavor. Mango Fruit grown in SoCal hang on the tree for extended periods of time due to our relatively cooler weather and I wonder if the extended hanging causes the Asian spice notes to fade away.

Now that I think about it, someone on the forum mentioned eating a Maha in the green stage so I tried it last year on a damaged fruit and I did detect a little Asian spice but in the green stage, my Maha was sour.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »

There is no comparison! Cookie is a man of action ...  has the best tasting mangos in south Florida,. Rob just runs his mouth

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »

There is no comparison! Cookie is a man of action ...  has the best tasting mangos in south Florida,. Rob just runs his mouth

Arent you the pot calling the kettle black...
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »

Arent you the pot calling the kettle black...

Tu quoque ...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

Well, no apologies for my previous extolling of Maha…..Sheehan's taste or lack thereof notwithstanding.  On its best day, and there are many during a given season, Maha can stand amongst the best.  It may not win the blue ribbon on a given tasting table but its flavor, disease resistance, growing characteristics and long season make it a good addition to any grower's grove. Contrary opinion is always welcomed but just not correct....LOL. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
:D Harry is alive again. My maha is a graft from your tree, which may or may not be in existence as I type this (leaning towards the not but hoping otherwise).

The issue with some of these mangoes is finding the prime state of ripeness. Took me 3 or 4 samples before I figured it out for maha.

Well, no apologies for my previous extolling of Maha…..Sheehan's taste or lack thereof notwithstanding.  On its best day, and there are many during a given season, Maha can stand amongst the best.  It may not win the blue ribbon on a given tasting table but its flavor, disease resistance, growing characteristics and long season make it a good addition to any grower's grove. Contrary opinion is always welcomed but just not correct....LOL. ;)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »
my mom said in Asia, we pick the mango green and let if ripe off the tree. It tastes better that way.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 07:13:56 AM »
Maybe it’s just a fluke this year but MC has a tendency to produce off season fruit
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
+1

my mom said in Asia, we pick the mango green and let if ripe off the tree. It tastes better that way.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
I planted my MC into the ground last year,  and is the nicest looking tree in the bunch,  supposedly a slow grower, but it really took off.   I hope it will flower and put out fruit next season.

I have not tried some of the newer Zill creations, even though I did get a couple trees, ( Cotton candy, and Edgar ) But I remember how much I loved that MC I tried years ago, and it was very complex to me at least.   

Anyway,  I wonder how mine will taste grown in our climate.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "