Author Topic: How frost tolerant are mamey sapote? They seem more cold hardy than I thought  (Read 1810 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
I planted a small 8" seedling mamey sapote last April. It not only has grown pretty fast it seems pretty cold hardy as well.

It got down to about 27 degrees here. I think it killed a 3 year old coco cream mango and a 3 year old Alano sapodilla. All the guavas have defoiliated, even some of my white sapotes got some burn on top. The cold also completely defoiliated all my guamuchil trees which I thought were supposed to be tough.

But my mamey sapote seems to have dealt with the cold pretty well considering.

In the photo(forgive the grass and foilage debris, it's in an unkept portion of the ranch). The mango seedling next to it took some damage, the bananas next to it are in really bad shape, I think some are dead, there's even a little Suriname Cherry if you can spot it that's completely defoiliated but the mamey roughed it out

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:32:45 PM by WaterFowler »

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
The trees are somewhat hardy but they drop their fruit in cold snaps. They fruit maturation time varies on cultivar but many are around 18 months. You may grow the tree but without proper protection you will end up as an ornamental.
-Josh

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
I've heard the fruit maturation takes a long time. I was hoping our 100-120 days of 100-120 degree weather might speed up the process. I had a banana stalk throw fruit in September but it didn't quite make it to maturity before the cold set in. Looked like it probably needed another month.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Wow. That little mamey is basically perfect. Good luck and good job.
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk