Author Topic: Horticultural Oil For Insect Control  (Read 5531 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: Horticultural Oil For Insect Control
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
For a complete elimination of insects listed below, and for ultra safe personal protection, use a good horticultural oil.  It eliminates most all common insects that attack citrus. Can be sprayed between 32F to 90F.  Insects NEVER become immune, no matter how often or how long horticultural sprays are used.  Be sure to keep ingredients (water & oil) blended while spraying

Insects killed:
Rust mite, red spider mite, scales, white fly, thrips, mealy bug, aphids, Greasy spot, loosening of sooty mold.
my biggest problem in western australia is CLM.....they are a right pain....i dont even feed my citrus in autumn because clm will just decimate it...tried eco oil and neem oil and they just treat new growth like CLM candy........spring is where its at for me..before they turn up...they love the urea apparently.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 05:14:13 AM »
Do they have spinosad down there? Works well for leaf miner here, or you can just not feed after spring as an alternative.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
Do they have spinosad down there? Works well for leaf miner here, or you can just not feed after spring as an alternative.

Can you give a little more details how to use spinosad?
How many times to repeat the spray?
To Spray the whole tree or just the growing portions?
What month to spray (or when you see the new flush?

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »
When using oils can you add to them a foliar fertilizer?

I'm asking after the fact that I've already done this but i want to know the thoughts of the experts. The other day I sprayed most of my trees with a sunflower oil and dish soap mix that I've been using for the last couple years. 1 part liquid dish soap and 2 parts oil, shaken to emulsify and added to water, 1 tbsp or 15ml/L of water. I added an organic foliar fertilizer with chelated micronutrients to kill two birds with one stone. Did I do something wrong? In my head the soap that helps the oil stick would also help the fertilizer stick to the leaves

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »
Yeah...ive been going more for the concentrated form of feeding in spring to get as much growth as i can before the CLM turn up in the warm weather......i will have a look for spinosad here then....up to now...i use eco oil and neem oil with a little fish emulsion....but they just murder new growth...esp on lemons......its the urea they seek.

TimWestley

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 07:20:02 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 09:10:16 AM by JakeFruit »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2023, 12:30:22 PM »
During summer months spray horticultural oils in the evening before sunset and you should be fine.

Travillion

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2023, 01:15:20 PM »
I'm in 10A - as we approach Summer what temperature range is the cutoff for using oils, and can soaps be used during the hottest part of the hyear?

That's my problem. Most oils can't be sprayed above 85-90F. Where I live, that's when the trees are flushing and I see the most pests. I resort to spraying the trees off with a hose every week or so.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2023, 03:18:20 PM »
Sometimes you have to wait for a cool evening to spray in warmer climates.

I highly highly recommend a ULV (ultra low volume) fogger for pest management and foliage applications. The fine mist covers ALL the plant way more efficiently and you use much less chemical. I worked for an arborist for a few years and this was better than any backpack sprayer. In my own business I use this to fertilize palms and in my grove I use this for neem oil and kelp sprays.

Super handy ULV is affordable on Amazon. It’ll save you hours in the long run vs hand spraying

Oh and I forgot to mention it makes spraying totally fun and you look like a ghost buster while your at it
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:41:52 PM by Tortuga »

amejee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2023, 09:24:54 AM »
I totally feel your pain with those Cms in Western Australia - they can be a real nuisance! I used to struggle with them too until I stumbled upon a local pest control service in Sunderland, UK. They've been a lifesaver for me in keeping those critters at bay. I'm not sure if they operate in Australia, but you might want to check out their website at https://ajverminatorpestcontrol.com/ just in case they have any helpful tips or products that could work for you Down Under.  I've found that timing is everything, and spring is indeed the key. Getting ahead of those little critters before they show up has been a lifesaver for my citrus.