Author Topic: Possible for me to get avocadoes?  (Read 634 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Possible for me to get avocadoes?
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:01:07 PM »
I have a 5 -6 foot avocado bush that I started from a seed that has two main stalks at roughly the same height. The trunk on both are about 3 inches. I started the avocado on a whim, but now has started my fascination with gardening. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area near the coast where it doesn't get too hot, which I know may not be the best climate for avocadoes.

I'm new to growing fruits, so wanted to know if it was possible to graft a variety that could potentially flower and fruit in my area. I love my tree and I want to bring it to its full potential by growing fruit on it. I heard that the mexicola is very vigorous in fruiting and cold hardy, and was thinking that maybe this could be a potential variety since the milder climate would only slow but not stop its vigor (maybe?). also I know that I probably need both A and B flowering types to allow the best chance of fruiting but since I have to two main stalks I thought this might work out. Does anyone have experience with growing avocado in milder/cooler climates, or of which varieties might be good candidates/pairs?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:03:30 PM by tropic_tester »

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Possible for me to get avocadoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:36:14 PM »
The best advice might come from a local grower.  Here is the link to the blog:

http://www.epicenteravocados.com/blog/

Epicenter does not seem to be selling many avocado trees this year, though.  Their more popular trees sell fast and they recommend putting in a reservation after the first of the year. I did so on 2 January, and next time I looked, the trees were out of stock for 2021.

P.S. Most of the avocado discussions can be found in the Tropical Fruit Discussion.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:37:47 PM by cen »

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Re: Possible for me to get avocadoes?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 02:00:30 AM »
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the link provided.

I posted in 'temperate' because I thought since my climate is mild, people would have more experience here. I'll ask over there as well. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:02:18 AM by tropic_tester »