Author Topic: Do I really have a "Prolific" paw paw?  (Read 667 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Do I really have a "Prolific" paw paw?
« on: April 23, 2021, 12:45:02 PM »
Hi,

I ordered Susquehana and Prolific last year. Received them as bareroot twigs, actually, just twigs as they didn't have any roots to speak of.
Anyways, after a few months and they both sprouted, I'm pretty happy about it. Comparing the leaves of both, the Susquehana definitely looks like a paw paw. However, the leaves of the Prolific look different.
Thanks for your opinions,

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
Re: Do I really have a "Prolific" paw paw?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 02:36:23 PM »
Si I don’t know if you have the prolific variety but they are both definitely pawpaw. The leaves of your Susquehanna have deeper veins and looks more broader then the prolific. There is always variation amongst seedlings and each cultivar. I have a few pawpaws where the shade of the trunks are different. One looks more gray and the other has a light tan brown bark. Maybe the leaves of the prolific will have deeper veins once they mature They only real difference i notice from your pictures is that leaves of the prolific look younger. Once the reach maturity, they will look more like the green of the Susquehanna leaves.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 02:51:57 PM by Fleep »

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »
Thank you!
That's good to know.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:17:52 PM »
I agree with Fleep. Your Prolific simply has young leaves. They will look like the Susquehanna's leaves in a few weeks.