Author Topic: Peach Tree Spots  (Read 568 times)

laraklopp

• Satellite Beach, FL, 9b
    • View Profile
Peach Tree Spots
« on: April 26, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Hi again everyone,

So our Tropic Beauty had peaches, and I thinned it, and they've been growing fine. Some of the leaves have brown tips, I can't figure that out, but overall it seems to be growing, and there are new leaves. But the three peaches left on it as of today all had developed some brown spots. I looked it up online and they don't look like descriptions of brown rot that I can see. And the branches don't seem to have issues, just the peaches.  (Also one side of the peaches looked perfect). Did I leave them on the tree too long, or is this a disease? If so, can I heal it? (Not for this year's peaches, but for the sake of the tree). Thanks!

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Re: Peach Tree Spots
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »
Maybe you can cross-post in the temperate fruit discussion too, people in those boards may have more insight in regards to peaches and other prunus.

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
Might be peach scab. Are the spots superficial only?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:41:28 PM by vstolbi »

laraklopp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:28:09 PM »
I think they are pretty superficial. I took off another peach earlier today that had more spots, and they went in a bit deeper, but not super deep, and about 3/4 of the peach looked fine (it wasn't super sweet, the good parts, but it's the first year the tree's produced). We haven't cut these yet.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
I have seen those spots before on my fruit. My guess is a bug caused that
probably a stink bug. I thought the stink bugs popped the skin to attract other
bugs that they would then eat? I read a little and the information was that stink bugs
eat fruit including peaches and also some types eat insects? I see stink bugs on my
fruit especially at the late part of the season and then the fruit gets loaded with
beetles and everything else. You might try spraying some soap next year on half of
the fruit on one side of the tree?

laraklopp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »
Thank you! That makes more sense, it just wasn't looking like any of the pictures of diseases I saw, but it was clearly something. And now that you mention it, I had forgotten, but I think there were some little marks in at least one peach early on that I noticed but forgot about. I'll spray and watch next year.

I notice you're also in 9b - which peaches do you find you like the best? The Tropic Beauty ones were okay but not awesome, but we have a Flordaglo and it's peaches are amazing. We also have a Tropic Snow but its are still developing, no ripe ones yet. I have two more spots for peaches, and am currently tempted to get at least one more Flordaglo, they are that good, but don't know if there are any others I should definitely try.