Author Topic: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a  (Read 239 times)

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Feijoa in NJ zone 7a
« on: January 08, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
Anyone have success in the northeast?

These are all rooted cuttings from 2 plants that were listed as being 7a hardy (taking it with a grain of salt). Unknown variety, sold by 9Greenbox.

No damage so far with 20f, 16f, 18f over night, daily temps have been above freezing.

Tuesday will be interesting. Looks to be the coldest day and night combo so far

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa in NJ zone 7a
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:37:36 PM »
Why not protect when young? Thatís an easy setup to put some row cover over it. I have Feijoa seedlings in ground 7b Georgia on south side of my house. No dieback in three years but mild winters 17 was lowest

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
Good to hear they survive in 7b. Our winters are increasingly mild each year, so those very low temps that would probably kill them are becoming rare.

I can cover them, but I am testing to see if they can survive without any intervention. The two potted plants that I took these cuttings from are a nice size and overwinter in my house so I don't mind losing these by the shed.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »
I have two in the ground but under poly tunnel. They seem pretty much unfazed by cold weather. I think we have a pretty good chance of survival in 7A without protection.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:51:44 PM »
Also definitely agree on the mildness of our winters increasing. I think this week's cold spell will be the ultimate test for some serious zone pushing.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 04:23:01 PM »
I have two in the ground but under poly tunnel. They seem pretty much unfazed by cold weather. I think we have a pretty good chance of survival in 7A without protection.

The feijoas look fine after the 8f event, no obvious leaf damage. The mulch around my trees and being up against the shed structure has kept the soil from freezing. Everywhere else the ground is frozen.

However the cold did zap my Yuzu leaves, and the poncirus hybrids (tai-tri and citrumelo) leaves are curled up as well. Those are growing against a brick wall and are mulched so the soil didn't freeze. No obvious freeze damage on trunk or stems yet (like splitting) on the citrus or feijoas.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
I am at the border of zone 6- 7 and have 3 feijoa plants but i didnt had the guts to plant them in the ground. Lowest so far was -11 C, i may find a place in the yard for one of them this spring. I have read that they lose their flower buds at temps of around -6C or so, is that true? If so even if the plant survives it may be cropless in climates like mine....

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »
I did read that flower buds are killed, but I also read from another account that they make flower buds on new growth in the spring flush

It's been several days and I see no damage after 8f (-13.3C). No leaf drop or noticeable freeze damage on the leaves or trunks

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »
I did read that flower buds are killed, but I also read from another account that they make flower buds on new growth in the spring flush

It's been several days and I see no damage after 8f (-13.3C). No leaf drop or noticeable freeze damage on the leaves or trunks
Great news, they give most of them a hardiness to about -15 C ,i was always sceptical but it may be true. I have one feijoa that is rootbound in a pot and will try to find a place for it in the ground comd spring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk