Author Topic: Land purchasing and search discussion  (Read 6264 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Land purchasing and search discussion
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 12:39:22 AM »
I live in homestead which is a high pesticide use area and I know farmers that deal with this so I do have a lot of experience with this issue. I’m shocked that malathion is sold in Home Depot but even still the bottom line is many more toxic pesticides can be used on food when they cannot be used by homeowners (other types of organophosphates). I believe that the pesticides used under the slab of homes are organophosphates not fumigants. The chemical used to tent homes for termites is a fumigant.  But the application of these in homes isn’t a daily occurrence. Fumigants are used a lot here to sterilize the soil before planting, they are used most heavily for strawberries. If you see the rows with plastic covers those are how they inject the fumigant into the soil. My main concern is getting caught in the spray drift of a more toxic pesticide. I agree with you that the homeowner situation is bad too, neither is ideal.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
I bought 13 acres in Santa Cruz, California last year and am incredibly stoked! I have done some restoration work in Hawaii and have a decent understanding of what growing in a tropical climate is like, which is largely why I have purchased land in California.

Reasons I bought land in Northern California:
I have a really good well (with old AG pump, 500 gpm) that is in a pretty reliable water table. Salt water intrusion will likely be a problem in the future, but I probably have time.
The market is completely untapped.
Importation restrictions from Florida or Hawaii leave untapped markets bare, or with subpar fruit.
There is no tropical/ few subtropical pests or diseases to fight here (hooray for winter).
Management of weeds is easy (dry summers, less weeds).

I was working part time managing the propagation and teaching an internship about grassland ecology and restoration but have gone full time into my own endeavors as of recently.  I was working 7 days a week and am now really grateful to have at least a day off! haha. Utimately never could have afforded the land with my pay. My family purchased the land so pretty grateful and privileged in that way.

I am about a year or so out from getting my first production crop of Babaco papaya and will have Avocados coming online next year as well as various other grafted and non grafted subtropicals: Eugenias mainly.

I plan to implement different aspects into my farm and nursery as I progress and hope to apply for grants for some research projects I'd like to take on. Some projects are: Cultivation of CA native wildflowers for nursery stock/landscaping, studying physiological cold tolerance of these subtropical/tropical species, making subtropicals ubiquitous in peoples landscapes,  maybe a landscaping business, education/tourism? I think that diversifying will certainly be important in making this a feasible enterprise. 

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 01:06:50 AM »
as far as pesticides are concerned: this is a great turn off for Florida for me. Between the mega monocrop ag presence and the phosphate mining and spills... It seems the state government is more interested in development and not the environment.... but environmental pesticides and chemicals are everywhere, as long as I am not directly next to a giant sugar cane field or have a mega nursery neighbor.

I don't know if this will ease your concern or not, but a conventional sugarcane farm on muck will use only 1/2 to 1/3 of the nitrogen recommended for a lettuce farm (conventional or organic) on the same soil. Actually, the nutrient load per square foot for a sugarcane field is approximately equal to a residential St. Augustine lawn. By the time you throw in the bug sprays for ants, termites, and roaches that many homeowners deem essential, the total chemical foot print for the cane field is actually lower. I would be more concerned if the property I was looking at had neighbors with lush lawns all around me. Lol!

I don’t specifically know much about sugarcane, but this is not really correct. Homeowners use a lot of pesticides, true, but residential pesticides are all based on pyrethrum and would be applied with a hand or backpack sprayer. In the agricultural settling they can use far more toxic pesticides (organophosphates, fumigants, etc) which are banned from home use and they can be applied by huge tractor sprayers and even crop dusters (aerial spraying) for large fields which cause more drift. I think as long as you are careful about the immediate neighbors you will be ok like you said.

You make a good point about the potential for drift that I had not considered. That would be a game changer if you were adjacent to an operation that had not established good buffers and spray protocall. I would like, with your permission, to present some of the reasoning behind my statement above. My goal is not to change your mind or what you think, but to express that there is logic and direct observation/research behind what I said.

Air blast sprayers definitely create much smaller droplets that carry further. However, it is the smaller droplets that enable them to use less active ingredient per acre then the same chemical applied with a pump sprayer (which has variable pressure and often a poorly adjusted nozzle). When using a pump sprayer, many people also will mix the solution a little strong and then over apply the mixed solution (using everything in the sprayer) because there is no other way to get rid of the stuff. Interestingly enough, I am told that pyrethrins are the most common pesticide used in our local citrus groves (I think this is true for other Ag as well). Also, while it may not be the most popular homeowner pesticide, Malathion (an organophosphate) is currently available at many Home Depots for homeowner use.

Fumagants are rairly used in agriculture these days from what I have observed. When they are used, they are sprayed directly on the soil and covered immediately with an impermiable barrier for a specified amount of time. I am fairly certain that aerial application would not be allowed. The one area where strong fumigants are still in common use is the pest control industry. Virtually every house in the state has been treated with fumigants under the slab that will last in the soil for 10 years or more!

I won't hijack the thread any longer.
[/quote]

Great info Galatians, while it isnt the specific topic of the post. This is very relevant information to the post. As it helps eliminate certain properties and understand pesticides better. I am far from from a purist, as I believe a lot of man made environmental toxins are pretty much unavoidable, because of the inherent nature of air and water.

I live in homestead which is a high pesticide use area and I know farmers that deal with this so I do have a lot of experience with this issue. I’m shocked that malathion is sold in Home Depot but even still the bottom line is many more toxic pesticides can be used on food when they cannot be used by homeowners (other types of organophosphates). I believe that the pesticides used under the slab of homes are organophosphates not fumigants. The chemical used to tent homes for termites is a fumigant.  But the application of these in homes isn’t a daily occurrence. Fumigants are used a lot here to sterilize the soil before planting, they are used most heavily for strawberries. If you see the rows with plastic covers those are how they inject the fumigant into the soil. My main concern is getting caught in the spray drift of a more toxic pesticide. I agree with you that the homeowner situation is bad too, neither is ideal.

interesting point Julie. Though sometimes the plastic row covering is only to conserve water/prevent evaporation

I bought 13 acres in Santa Cruz, California last year and am incredibly stoked! I have done some restoration work in Hawaii and have a decent understanding of what growing in a tropical climate is like, which is largely why I have purchased land in California.

Reasons I bought land in Northern California:
I have a really good well (with old AG pump, 500 gpm) that is in a pretty reliable water table. Salt water intrusion will likely be a problem in the future, but I probably have time.
The market is completely untapped.
Importation restrictions from Florida or Hawaii leave untapped markets bare, or with subpar fruit.
There is no tropical/ few subtropical pests or diseases to fight here (hooray for winter).
Management of weeds is easy (dry summers, less weeds).

I was working part time managing the propagation and teaching an internship about grassland ecology and restoration but have gone full time into my own endeavors as of recently.  I was working 7 days a week and am now really grateful to have at least a day off! haha. Utimately never could have afforded the land with my pay. My family purchased the land so pretty grateful and privileged in that way.

I am about a year or so out from getting my first production crop of Babaco papaya and will have Avocados coming online next year as well as various other grafted and non grafted subtropicals: Eugenias mainly.

I plan to implement different aspects into my farm and nursery as I progress and hope to apply for grants for some research projects I'd like to take on. Some projects are: Cultivation of CA native wildflowers for nursery stock/landscaping, studying physiological cold tolerance of these subtropical/tropical species, making subtropicals ubiquitous in peoples landscapes,  maybe a landscaping business, education/tourism? I think that diversifying will certainly be important in making this a feasible enterprise. 

Hey dude cool stuff! It sounds really awesome and 13 acres with a well is probably perfect. I have considered the area actually and have spent time in Santa Cruz. There are still some *semi* affordable properties up in the mountains there (compared to in Santa Cruz or SF). Though I wasn't sure how much the climate changed between the elevations. You make a good point about the untapped market and you are definitely correct about diversification. However I would dial in one or two projects first. I am also multi disciplinary in my interests and skills. I have been wanting to combine my vegetable and herb gardens, with my edible mushroom skills, as well as landscaping and installs. Going to focus on one to start however and maybe just do some landscaping on the side. Would be very cool to get more native plants and stuff in peoples yards. I got a book about the indigenous ways of tending to the land in California. Haven't gotten to start it yet though... I have about 30 ahead of it haha

I think you're on the right track. A lot of people on TFF are probably thinking of similar ideas. My big goal is to find something with multiple units which helps qualify for larger loans and also has consistent income that will be helpful to keep the project alive. When I say central california, I should be more specific when I say central COAST - interior is torched, literally.

I've spoken with a lot of people about well drilling here in CA and you really should try to find somewhere with established wells. It is the life blood of your project and a couple collapsed wells or drills in the wrong places searching for it can cost you a substantial amount of cheddar that could prevent you from getting this going.

Quality soil and sun exposure, productive well, home with extra room(s) or units, garage for tools and vehicles. Those are needs for me if I were on your path. It's helpful if those are in place so you can get to work right away.

K-rimes, Yup you are definitely right about infrastructure. A house, a well, and a garage are non negotiable for me. Luckily I know what to look for on properties in terms of water source, zoning, utilites, and even soil type and testing is something I am very familiar with. I have been stacking up this knowledge with the hopes that one day I find my home
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:17:46 AM by driftwood »

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 01:13:26 AM »
By the way everyone, my name is Driftwood, because I have lived in 8 different states and Puerto Rico and over 40 towns. I tend to drift a lot. It's been fun and interesting to know about a lot of different places and ecologies as I roam and grow. But I tire of being a tumbleweed, and my vision is growing longer than the immediate future as I grow older -- it seems like it is time to consider where to plant my roots. Most people my age would like to know when they can go back to clubs and concerts. There are a few young cats like me I have noticed though who crave more. I am sure many of you can relate.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 01:20:06 AM »
28 here also, I just wanna grow fruits! (and ganja) haha

My property is in Corralitos, but there is a really nice range of land throughout the SC mountains that has major potential for growing subtropicals.  North County has the redwoods and some really epic locations, but also a lot of cold ones. South County (watsonville, corralitos) has the rolling Oak woodlands and really really reliable water tables. 

If your ever out this way definitely stop by!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 01:25:34 AM »
28 here also, I just wanna grow fruits! (and ganja) haha

My property is in Corralitos, but there is a really nice range of land throughout the SC mountains that has major potential for growing subtropicals.  North County has the redwoods and some really epic locations, but also a lot of cold ones. South County (watsonville, corralitos) has the rolling Oak woodlands and really really reliable water tables. 

If your ever out this way definitely stop by!

Good shit Natty frootz. I turn 28 in a few months. I will be on the west coast this fall and might take a trip up north, would love to connect. Do you have facebook or instagram?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 09:39:35 AM »
Im looking to purchase an island and create my own country.  Who wants to join me?

https://www.privateislandsonline.com/
Not too worried about sea level rise, I guess!
John

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
yep; instagram is natelovesplants
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 10:15:02 AM »
I’m in my 30s and have never owned land. I have lived and worked on many different farm operations over the years , mostly in Hawaii , have travelled To Philippines many times fruit hunting, malaysia , Borneo a couple times. Costa Rica is pretty cool , and Peter’s farm is definitely one of the best I’ve seen.  I have a bachelors degree in horticulture and have also worked on cannabis farms because this is a way for me to generate income and it’s a plant I enjoy. After living in Hawaii for 6 year or so years I found It’s hard to make money unless one already has money or has a particular niche that works for them. I went to Colombia earlier this year and I liked the culture and people enough that I would like to go back. I kind of wish I was born into farming , as I have friends who were, but the good thing about not owning land? It allows one to be free to go wherever you may choose to. I personally enjoy this freedom and still kind of think the idea of land ownership is a delusion anyways. Best of luck to you

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
I’m in my 30s and have never owned land. I have lived and worked on many different farm operations over the years , mostly in Hawaii , have travelled To Philippines many times fruit hunting, malaysia , Borneo a couple times. Costa Rica is pretty cool , and Peter’s farm is definitely one of the best I’ve seen.  I have a bachelors degree in horticulture and have also worked on cannabis farms because this is a way for me to generate income and it’s a plant I enjoy. After living in Hawaii for 6 year or so years I found It’s hard to make money unless one already has money or has a particular niche that works for them. I went to Colombia earlier this year and I liked the culture and people enough that I would like to go back. I kind of wish I was born into farming , as I have friends who were, but the good thing about not owning land? It allows one to be free to go wherever you may choose to. I personally enjoy this freedom and still kind of think the idea of land ownership is a delusion anyways. Best of luck to you

Good perspective Ben! I have definitely enjoyed my fair share of travel and freedom. I lived inside of an RV for several years and have also worked with cannabis in the past. My interest has shifted much more to edibles. I wish I was born into it sometimes as well but I am still young and have lots of time to learn. I still fully intend to travel when I own land, as I would finally have somewhere to send recalcitrant seeds home to sprout and grow! Land ownership may be a controversial topic. I sometimes feel the same. But if we don't step up as care takers of the earth. The decision will be made by someone else who usually has other interests in mind!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »
Im looking to purchase an island and create my own country.  Who wants to join me?

whats the elevation of deerfield beach FL?
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »

whats the elevation of deerfield beach FL?
Right!  13 ft.  But I'm 70.  Should I worry?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:27:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »

Good perspective Ben! I have definitely enjoyed my fair share of travel and freedom. I lived inside of an RV for several years and have also worked with cannabis in the past. My interest has shifted much more to edibles. I wish I was born into it sometimes as well but I am still young and have lots of time to learn. I still fully intend to travel when I own land, as I would finally have somewhere to send recalcitrant seeds home to sprout and grow! Land ownership may be a controversial topic. I sometimes feel the same. But if we don't step up as care takers of the earth. The decision will be made by someone else who usually has other interests in mind!

I forgot to mention that caretaking other people’s land / farm is generally what I’ve done the last couple years. It’s a good opportunity for ppl like me who don’t have enough $ to have their own farm

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
Awesome post. My only advice would be to not wait on buying. Get your plan, figure out your budget and get it going. If not purchasing outright, owner financing is still a thing but harder to find.

Land (in So FLo) is only going to get more expensive in my opinion. Feel free to PM me if youre looking  in FL. Good luck bro!

thanks man!! Where are you located? You got facebook or instagram? So far ive checked out Naples, Punta Gorda, Pine Island/Bokeelia, Homestead/Miami. Ive been a few times this year but havent seen anything I loved that wasnt ridiculously overpriced in my humble opinion.

Honestly my budget is a pretty big range. As in the US I would qualify for financing and possibly a USDA loan if the property is eligible. In Puerto Rico or Costa Rica I would need cash or funding.

In the US my budget for a property 1-10 acre with a 1 or 2 bedroom house is $500,000.

In Puerto Rico or Costa Rica I would be looking below $200,000 with a house. or Below $100,000 for just land. Ive considered doing both eventually and keeping a genetic library in a place like puerto rico and flying between FL and PR.
[/quote]

We are transitioning from the east coast to n ft myers area. We grow on two properties in Hendry and Lee county, one with irrigation one without.  We really like the west coast compared to palm beach/broward, but loxahatchee and the acreage is a sweet place if you can find something that fits the budget. Anything north of ft myers may be tough on in ground tropicals long term.

Financing for land is possible, we put 60% cash down on Hendry county property, owner financing. It was perfect for us and luckily the land value has increased quite a bit the past year. No buildings, just raw land.

Ownership is everything imo.

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 01:44:32 PM »
Awesome post. My only advice would be to not wait on buying. Get your plan, figure out your budget and get it going. If not purchasing outright, owner financing is still a thing but harder to find.

Land (in So FLo) is only going to get more expensive in my opinion. Feel free to PM me if youre looking  in FL. Good luck bro!

thanks man!! Where are you located? You got facebook or instagram? So far ive checked out Naples, Punta Gorda, Pine Island/Bokeelia, Homestead/Miami. Ive been a few times this year but havent seen anything I loved that wasnt ridiculously overpriced in my humble opinion.

Honestly my budget is a pretty big range. As in the US I would qualify for financing and possibly a USDA loan if the property is eligible. In Puerto Rico or Costa Rica I would need cash or funding.

In the US my budget for a property 1-10 acre with a 1 or 2 bedroom house is $500,000.

In Puerto Rico or Costa Rica I would be looking below $200,000 with a house. or Below $100,000 for just land. Ive considered doing both eventually and keeping a genetic library in a place like puerto rico and flying between FL and PR.

We are transitioning from the east coast to n ft myers area. We grow on two properties in Hendry and Lee county, one with irrigation one without.  We really like the west coast compared to palm beach/broward, but loxahatchee and the acreage is a sweet place if you can find something that fits the budget. Anything north of ft myers may be tough on in ground tropicals long term.

Financing for land is possible, we put 60% cash down on Hendry county property, owner financing. It was perfect for us and luckily the land value has increased quite a bit the past year. No buildings, just raw land.

Ownership is everything imo.
[/quote]

Good to know man! is there any particular reason why you like the gulf coast better? Is it just too much city/traffic on the east coast?

Punta Gorda and North Ft. Myers is the very most northern I would consider.

I agree with you that ownership is everything. I have had good and bad experiences care taking before. Either way it's death by a thousand cuts, I would rather choose my own blade. I will take the hardships and the good moments equally

Plus owning is high incentive to work harder. Not many paid landscapers/caretakers want to go above and beyond.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 03:03:39 PM »
Its more of a long term personal preference and semi related to gardening. We enjoy the country slowness, the people, culture, etc. After growing up in Philly and living in Boca, we finally found somewhere that fits us.

The east coast is great but there's something about country living you just can't get, even in western loxi.

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »
As mentioned, buying land is cheapest option in FL right now. You'll need cash, or something as collateral. I refinanced my house, which ill rent out, and live in a trailer on the 5 acres I purchased with the refi funds in Loxahatchee FL. Ill be saving money for new home construction. Good news is that Lox is a quick growing area with massive local market for basically anything I want to grow, bad news is I have to live in a trailer and continue to grind out the desk job until I can make this full time gig.

You need to write your priorities down, rearrange them in order, start crossing them out from the bottom until you can't stand to cross anything else out, then proceed. You don't need to apprentice with someone who knows how to grow plants, you can get that info anywhere. You need to figure out your finances.

Is he correct that he could finance the purchase of an agricultural property that has a house on it? I just want to make sure they don’t split out the house and the land and then make him pay cash for the land.

Admire what you’re doing by the way. Hope you can make it a full time job soon.

As long as land has a home on it, it can be financed. The home value to land value has to be reasonable. I don't think you could split out the house from the land, never heard of that.

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
This is why I am interested in purchasing a property with a home already on it. That and I can potentially rent a room or give it to a friend who will do some chores. I am debt free and have a stack of cash but I fear purchasing raw land and getting a well dug could wipe out a large chunk of it.

This is the right line of thinking. Infrastructure is important. Electricity is typically just cost of electrician to install your panel (needs to be upsized for a big 5 hp pump), septic systems can be designed by someone else, and you then you install it, a home well is not a irrigation well, I got quoted $12k for a 6 inch well to 60 foot and 4 inch well to 30 foot. Im reconsidering just renting a backhoe and digging a hole as deep as possible, backfill with 57 stone and install a cheap 4 inch well into it. It's all about getting creative and exploring every possible way to save on big expenses.

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
This is why I am interested in purchasing a property with a home already on it. That and I can potentially rent a room or give it to a friend who will do some chores. I am debt free and have a stack of cash but I fear purchasing raw land and getting a well dug could wipe out a large chunk of it.

This is the right line of thinking. Infrastructure is important. Electricity is typically just cost of electrician to install your panel (needs to be upsized for a big 5 hp pump), septic systems can be designed by someone else, and you then you install it, a home well is not a irrigation well, I got quoted $12k for a 6 inch well to 60 foot and 4 inch well to 30 foot. Im reconsidering just renting a backhoe and digging a hole as deep as possible, backfill with 57 stone and install a cheap 4 inch well into it. It's all about getting creative and exploring every possible way to save on big expenses.

Yup you're right there are ways to get creative and slash costs with things like that. I was able to save a ton money on getting a new well pump hooked up once by doing all the digging and prep work. He came in and finished the job and saved us over $3-4k

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 10:32:54 PM »
a home well is not a irrigation well

What's the difference? Diameter? I'm building a house in Florida and want to be set up for irrigating a couple acres.
- Val

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2021, 10:48:41 PM »

What's the difference? Diameter? I'm building a house in Florida and want to be set up for irrigating a couple acres.

lots of things. for one thing it can be different permits. pressure. flow. power. lots of variation

it could be its own entire thread

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »

i am also interested in the difference between a home well and irrigation well. 
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 06:10:17 AM »
I think the biggest difference is the water quality standards that the well must meet if it is going to be used for drinking water. If you have a well for drinking water it should be ok to use it for irrigation. If the well was installed for irrigation, it may not meet the requirements for drinking water.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 07:35:02 AM »
In Florida unless you want an illegal unpermitted 2" shallow well current prices for a 100 ft 4 inch well drilling is about $5,000 and a large pump installed is about the same. You won't get a house permit unless you either have public water connection or a permitted well. If the State finds out you have an unpermitted well they can have you plug with concrete.
So, add at minimum $10k for well on a new project here. Add more for running electricity & filling road to drill site if needed. Drillers in my area SWFL
are booked six months out.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 09:09:50 AM »
We probably should be saving and utilizing rainwater in Florida, as they do in other parts of the world.
John