Author Topic: Yellow splotches on citrus leaves  (Read 1538 times)

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Yellow splotches on citrus leaves
« on: August 16, 2021, 11:04:50 AM »
This is one of the TDE tangerines, Tahoe Gold, which I bought from Four Winds earlier this year. It's been doing ok most of the summer, but I noticed these splotches on the leaves appearing and spreading a week or two ago, seems to be worsening:

Hopefully this is just a deficiency and not some kind of viral or bacterial issue? None of the photos I can find online of leaf yellowing look quite the same, though. None of my other citrus seem affected, and they've all been in the same soil, same fertilizers, same temperatures (mostly in the greenhouse but out in the yard for extra hot days). The only difference other than cultivar really is this is my only tree from Four Winds. Maybe they use a rootstock that's particular about soil or something?

Anyone know what this is?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:06:58 AM by swincher »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow splotches on citrus leaves
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »
I think it looks like a zinc deficiency, see link ( sorry it s in french)
https://www.yara.fr/fertilisation/solutions-pour-cultures/agrumes/carences-agrumes/carence-en-zinc-agrumes/?activeSlide=4944
regards Frank

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
Spider mites can also cause a similar problem.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »
I doubt the problem is a zinc deficiency as the leaves look to be full normal size. A zinc deficient leaf is dwarf.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 12:40:53 PM »
Spider mites can also cause a similar problem.

I've inspected for mites and no sign of them. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I think it looks like a zinc deficiency, see link ( sorry it s in french)
https://www.yara.fr/fertilisation/solutions-pour-cultures/agrumes/carences-agrumes/carence-en-zinc-agrumes/?activeSlide=4944
regards Frank

The yellow/white color does look similar, but the splotches on my plant seem less symmetrical than the ones in most of the zinc deficiency photos I'm finding online, aside from Millet's point about leaf size. Thank you for the suggestion!

And I'm not loving that many sources seem to indicate that a zinc deficiency looks similar to blight. I'm thinking it might be time to isolate this tree from all my healthy ones just in case.

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »
Have you tried to contact Four Winds, they should be interested since it's one of their trees.

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
Have you tried to contact Four Winds, they should be interested since it's one of their trees.

They said it was from underwatering which caused "mesophyll cell collapse," so I repotted using a more water retentive mix. Looks like it's neither improving nor worsening. Very odd that none of my other citrus with similar soil & watering practices have had this issue, but **shrug**

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »
I just got a tangerine tree from four winds and mine seems to be fine, I ordered a kumquat tree from them earlier in the season and it seems fine as well

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
I just got a tangerine tree from four winds and mine seems to be fine, I ordered a kumquat tree from them earlier in the season and it seems fine as well

I should clarify that I've had no trouble with other trees from them either, just this one seems more finicky than usual.