Author Topic: Fukushu X PT seed  (Read 506 times)

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Fukushu X PT seed
« on: September 02, 2021, 05:09:48 PM »
Here are a couple of images of seed from a Fukushu X PT cross I made this spring.  I peeled the seed coat off to increase the speed of germination.  It's interesting to see the color differences in the embryos. Someone on this forum had indicated there would be a color difference if the PT parent has tan seed and the citrus parent's seed are dark green. I am hoping/guessing the lighter colored embryo's are the crosses and the darker green are the apomictic embryo's.

The is the second batch of seed I prepared this way. Many of the seed from the first batch have germinated eight days later, the shoots are still too small to see if any have trifoliate leaves.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Fukushu X PT seed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 01:31:25 AM »
interesting project, good luck for nice seedlings and frosthardy plants , keep us updated  ;)

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
Thanks Tedburn.  I hope to keep these alive so there is something to tell.  Some of the seedlings are showing the PT origin.  The crosses seem to be growing faster than the clones. I think there will be six crosses in this batch.  Hopefully they will survive and grow this winder and next spring I will bud graft them onto an older citrus to see what comes of them. 

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »
Very cool, why aren't there more direct poncirus x kumquat crosses?

I'm going to try pt x meiwa, and pt x hindsii when I get them flowering at the same time. I have a poncirus+ and a precocious poncirus, neither have flowered yet. The precocious should flower next spring.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 11:25:39 AM »
They don't have to flower at the same time.  Citrus pollen can be stored for some time,  Keep it cool and dry.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »
Hello Walt, yes that is true I just lack the experience. Will have to learn how store it successfully when the time comes

orangedays

• East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 08:05:36 PM »
I also need more experience with storing pollen. I saved some pollen this spring and used it on some kumquats this summer but none of the crosses took. The cross above was done in the spring when both the fukushu and the poncirus trifoliata were blooming. The fukushu bloomed again in July and made and attempt with the stored pollen then, but all the fruit aborted. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk