Author Topic: Capsicum flexuosum - Cold Hardy Chili pepper  (Read 1287 times)

Vinci

• France, Bordeaux city zone 8b
    • View Profile
Capsicum flexuosum - Cold Hardy Chili pepper
« on: September 12, 2021, 04:59:02 PM »
Hi,

Just two photos to introduce this particular species which is say to be able to resist to temps below freezing ( -10 °C and more ).
This year will be their ( I have two plants)  first year outdoor, sure it will be fine, but still a bit anxious: they are Capsicum after all (!)
Like others wild Capsicum species, it took time to set fruits ( more than a year ), and my other plant have done nothing - I noticed that Capsicum flexuosum dislike our full sun, and prefer filter sun, or a good shade, and maybe that's the reason why the second plant, more exposed didn't set any flower.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:01:31 PM by Vinci »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Capsicum flexuosum - Cold Hardy Chili pepper
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
With only a few fruit set, each fruit no more than 5mm, maybe only one seed inside. How long before one could even get enough fruit to actually evaluate the taste, or enough seeds to perpetuate the variety?

Vinci

• France, Bordeaux city zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »
With only a few fruit set, each fruit no more than 5mm, maybe only one seed inside. How long before one could even get enough fruit to actually evaluate the taste, or enough seeds to perpetuate the variety?

You may have never taken the time out to examine this species, because it can sets hundreds of these tiny fruits.
And, the big plus, it's a perennial species, so once it is planted you can expect more and more fruits each year.
But like all plants, all of this is true with the correct environment..

About the size, I have Capsicum praetermissum that sets small fruits too, but since one of this per dish can be enough, one plant producer is enough for a person/year.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
I attempted to germinate perhaps 35 different flexuosum seeds. Of the 35, 3 germinated. Of the 3, 1 has survived to maturity. I've got it sitting outside in a pot now. It's juuuust fruiting.

So excited. I'm in zone 7, so my goal here is to try and developed future generations of it that are slightly more cold-hardy.