Author Topic: choose between several varieties of cherimoya  (Read 3737 times)

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
choose between several varieties of cherimoya
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:38 AM »
hello everybody,

I need help to choose between several varieties of cherimoyas : in my greenhouse, I will have place for only 3 cherimoyas, also I have no right to make mistakes. if my weather was warmer, I will grow outside 30 or 40 cherimoyas and choosing varieties wouldn't be a big problem.
I heard that pierce was a great variety, so I will grow 1 pierce, and now for the last 2 places I think about honeyheart, big sister, orton, el bumpo.
I don't ask you about taste because it's very subjective, I would like to ask about 2 things :

can you tell me the varieties between honeyheart, big sister, orton, el bumpo (or other varieties that you know) which have less seeds and which are the most productive (as I have not a lot of place so I can not afford to choose variety with low productivity).

thank you very much.

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
Re: choose between several varieties of cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:41:45 PM »
I will simplify my choice and buy 3 pierce. can you confim me that pierce has good productivity and few seeds ?

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
I have a friend who has hundreds of tropical fruit plants growing in her orchard (including 5 or 6 different cherimoya trees).  She said Pierce is less productive than some of the others.  At cherimoya tastings, I thought Pierce and Orton were the best, but as you said, taste is subjective.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 12:13:26 AM »
I will simplify my choice and buy 3 pierce. can you confim me that pierce has good productivity and few seeds ?

Here in my yard Orton is very productive and the fruit is big. Taste is very subjective, but most people like Orton.
My honey heart drops all the fruitlets when the heat waves come, but without the heat waves it produce well too.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »

Here in my yard Orton is very productive and the fruit is big. Taste is very subjective, but most people like Orton.
My honey heart drops all the fruitlets when the heat waves come, but without the heat waves it produce well too.

Quoted for posterity.

RollingInTheWeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:35:14 PM »
@albert84 @Oolie
Just so everyone knows: the correct name is "Honeyhart" (one word, no space between; and it is "hart" NOT "heart").  It's an unusual name with an unusual spelling for a special reason:

"The "Honeyheart" is actually HONEYHART, named by an old time member of the California Rare Fruit Growers. ORTON is another of his selections of cherimoya as his name was Orton Englehart. If you see ..."hart" in a fruit name it was selected by Orton Englehart, for example the Creamhart avocado. Google his name as he was a generous contributor to the CRFG (in the early days) and, in fact, invented the Rainbird sprinkler. His efforts deserve proper credit."

That comes from https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2185441/dr-white-cherimoya-tree  .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:39:10 PM by RollingInTheWeeds »

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »
I have a friend who has hundreds of tropical fruit plants growing in her orchard (including 5 or 6 different cherimoya trees).  She said Pierce is less productive than some of the others.  At cherimoya tastings, I thought Pierce and Orton were the best, but as you said, taste is subjective.

thank you for your answer. are there other people who think pierce is not productive ?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 02:47:13 PM »
hello everybody,

I need help to choose between several varieties of cherimoyas : in my greenhouse, I will have place for only 3 cherimoyas, also I have no right to make mistakes. if my weather was warmer, I will grow outside 30 or 40 cherimoyas and choosing varieties wouldn't be a big problem.
I heard that pierce was a great variety, so I will grow 1 pierce, and now for the last 2 places I think about honeyheart, big sister, orton, el bumpo.
I don't ask you about taste because it's very subjective, I would like to ask about 2 things :

can you tell me the varieties between honeyheart, big sister, orton, el bumpo (or other varieties that you know) which have less seeds and which are the most productive (as I have not a lot of place so I can not afford to choose variety with low productivity).

thank you very much.
Chose the 3  that your review identify as the top 3 for you.  But then buy scions for 6 more and graft 2 each to each of your trees so that each tree has 3 varieties.  After you have tried fruit for a few years, you may prune back to 5 or 6 that you like the best .  Or you could be like som eof us and add 9 more varieties making for some very confused trees.

RollingInTheWeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 05:37:51 PM »
Chose the 3  that your review identify as the top 3 for you.  But then buy scions for 6 more and graft 2 each to each of your trees so that each tree has 3 varieties.  After you have tried fruit for a few years, you may prune back to 5 or 6 that you like the best .  Or you could be like some of us and add 9 more varieties making for some very confused trees.

An excellent suggestion!

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 09:16:26 PM »
Taste is so subjective.  For example, at my house, we don't eat el bumbo even though it is large, sweet, less seeds, simple taste, and soft.  Beautiful looking fruits, but bruise easilly and don't store well. I plant it because it is productive and has a lot of flowers that I use to pollinate others. We give the fruits away. For us, texture is important.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 10:45:13 PM »
If there's anything I learned at the tastings up in Irvine, it's that each variety varies drastically in flavor year to year. That said, the tree I have all my varieties grafted too is a consistent producer, but the fruit quality has always fallen short (gritty, floral flavor, lack of size and poor shelf life), this last year though the fruit was not only large and high quality lacking grit, it also had a very aromatic bubblegum flavor which I know some like Simon can't get enough of. When I cut it up for family members, I prefaced it with it's usually a poor example of a cherimoya, and upon cutting it open had to eat my words, it was great.

That said I still prefer Pierce, hand pollinate them if you have to.

And Seng, I'll take any El Bumpos you're not gonna eat (if it's not a mislabeled Dr.White, aka Laverne tree). Post pictures of the fruit for confirmation.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »
El bumbo are the two green with bumpy peel.  It is possible that mine is from seedling, since I bought it from exotica over a decade ago.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 02:31:49 AM by seng »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 10:12:05 AM »
Nice looking fruit. What are the reddish colored ones?

Bill

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
What are your usual summer high temperatures?
I do not get enough heat to fruit Pierce but other varieties fruit well and taste sweet with moderate summer temperatures.
If you are regularly in the 80’s you can probably fruit sweet Cherimoya any variety.
Many don’t sweeten right for me.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2022, 12:39:11 PM »
Bestday, the reddish ones are Lisa atemoya.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2022, 08:17:04 PM »
I do not get enough heat to fruit Pierce but other varieties fruit well and taste sweet with moderate summer temperatures.
If you are regularly in the 80’s you can probably fruit sweet Cherimoya any variety.

What varieties would work in a lower heat coastal area?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
In Santa Cruz Rosa, Licia, HoneyHart and Nata all reliably make sweet fruit that hold until harvest without splitting or cracking , and do not require me to hand pollinate.
Also got about 20 Boothes holding this year , so we’ll see how those are.
I would definitely try those in Manhattan Beach.

What varieties would work in a lower heat coastal area?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 07:22:09 PM »
The shape can vary year-to-year, but on shape alone, they look like El Bumpos, but could be Whites as well, they're intermediate in form between the two.

On description of the fruit, it matches, but my El Bumpo doesn't produce much in the way of flowers. Big sister usually produces 2-7 flowers per bud versus El Bumpo's 1-2

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 01:54:09 AM »
Many thanks for the recommendations!

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 10:40:12 PM »
I’d recommend Pierce, Dr. White, and El Bumpo!

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 01:29:29 AM »
Any pointers on nurseries offering el-bumpo or pierce? I looked around and seems like everyone is sold out.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 02:36:26 AM »
Any pointers on nurseries offering el-bumpo or pierce? I looked around and seems like everyone is sold out.

Have a sharp knife? Buy any of the trees from the nursery and graft.