Author Topic: Store Bought Grapefruit  (Read 734 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
Store Bought Grapefruit
« on: March 31, 2023, 05:14:45 PM »
So I started a grapefruit from seed about 5 years ago in a pot.  I kept it indoor in the winter all of those years until last September.  I decided to plant it outside (I live in South Central PA zone 7) and see if I could overwinter it.  I only used 1 string of incandescent Christmas lights and a 100 watt lightbulb....I also made a styrofoam shelter around it and piled up a lot of wood chips...the coldest it got was 2 degree F.  It worked.  Tomorrow is April 1st and it doing well....I will post a photo when I remove all the styrofoam from around it....

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Store Bought Grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 10:27:19 PM »
congratulation.  It is always fun to have difficult projects work out

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 08:34:40 PM »
Has anyone else have any luck with non trifolate citrus outside in the ground in zone 7 that was not in a greenhouse setting? If so what was your strategy?
  Mike Adams

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 11:29:45 PM »
NO!

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
Has anyone else have any luck with non trifolate citrus outside in the ground in zone 7 that was not in a greenhouse setting? If so what was your strategy?
  Mike Adams

Thomasville is about the most-distant thing I've ever heard of surviving under similar conditions.

If you're willing to go farther afield into rue, zanthoxylum is hardy in zone 7.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 08:55:43 PM »
Here is my grapefruit tree on April 1st.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 12:21:21 AM »
I have Mandarin Keraji, Satsuma Collot and Flying dragon with grafted Bloomsweet and Duncan Grapefruit.
I have startet 3 winters ago in open ground in z7 with Keraji nd Collot. First winter I protected them with fleece and 80 w heating cable. The last 2 winters Keraji had only passive protection. Collot, due to companian Ichangensis x sinensis together I protected with a heater when temperatures went lower than -7 ° C. The others are now one winter in open ground with passive fleece protection.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 04:58:09 PM »
Thank you for responding.  I have experimented all winter on different methods.  Such a fun challenge.

Mike Adams

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 05:27:48 PM »
Our supermarket sells both organic grown grapefruit, and conventual grapefruit.  Always, the organic grapefruit attain only about the size of an Navel orange.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk