Author Topic: Peach fall pruning for letting lite to the fruits.  (Read 1108 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Peach fall pruning for letting lite to the fruits.
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
I am wondering ,and thinking about if i should prune my peach tree now, to let the sun hit the fruits so they collor more and build up sugar. They are starting to ripen right now, is it late for the purpose? Every year the peaches kinda not get the typical ripe peach color and i am trying to fix that.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Peach fall pruning for letting lite to the fruits.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »
This is very late for peaches.  I dont think thry need pruning now, that will lower the sun energy thry sre getting. 
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »
This is very late for peaches.  I dont think thry need pruning now, that will lower the sun energy thry sre getting.
thanks for the reply, i awready did th3 job and pruned half of the new growth . There are still alot of leaves left, yet the peaches are now getting sun also. Dunno if it was the right thing to do, i am just trying things right now with this tree, its a seedling and maybe the fruits that it makes are just that way, they may never get to change collor, other then the yellowish green they ususally get .
I awready started topworking the tree this spring with other peach varieties so hopefully wont have this problem for long now, i think i will save one branch just for the sake of diversity, since the taste of them is not bad at all...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:50:42 PM by Plantinyum »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 01:53:10 AM »
Top work is smart and its super easy with peach.  You can very easily top work over and over a peach tree. 

Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 02:39:28 AM »
Top work is smart and its super easy with peach.  You can very easily top work over and over a peach tree.
yeah i had great results with the spring grafts that i did on the peach, all took and formed the canopy that was missing from the removed branches. I am expecting some fruits from those grafts next summer....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 04:39:00 PM »
The update on my experiment, some of the fruits got a little oranje/red blush but generally just contimued to fall from the tree with yellowish-green colour . I believe since the tree is a seedling, i will not get the results which i want thus i will top work the rest of the plant in spring with desirable peach/nectarine varieties.