Author Topic: Can I graft now?  (Read 208 times)

Vlad

  • Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 198
    • Medway, MA zone 6a
    • View Profile
Can I graft now?
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:36:56 PM »
I am thinking of ordering budwood from CCPP  to graft onto some of my trees. My trees will be overwintered indoors at about 65F with artificial light in mid October. Can i do it now or should I wait until until spring?

orangedays

  • Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 50
    • East Coast, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Can I graft now?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
I don't know if the fall is a good time or not.  But last fall I made a large number of grafts and set them in a cool green house where the temperature at night was often only 4 or 5 degrees F above freezing in mid winter. I checked them frequently and though the scions stayed green nothing happened. They were grafted on the PT seedlings.  When spring finally rolled around they started to grow.  So I may have done better waiting until the Spring.  Since you will keep them warmer, and maybe not onto PT root stock your grafts may not wait until Spring to grow.

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk