Author Topic: Allahabad Guava ??  (Read 1441 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Allahabad Guava ??
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:14:08 AM »
I got this guava from ebay a while ago and now it had the first fruit. Since my plant is not that large yet, only 4 ft tall, the fruit is still small.

I has very strong guava aroma, bright red color flesh, taste was good, not excellent but good. Has some seeds. Does anyone recognize this quava fruit? Is it an Allahabad?

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Allahabad Guava ??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:48:19 AM »
It certainly does not look like "Allahabad Safeda" as Safeda means white. Allahabad Safeda is supposed to be white from inside. However, I am no expert in guava and will be curious to see what other opinions are. 
Did you happen to buy it from seller "Guava King" on ebay?  There are reports of misrepresented guava and other fruit trees from this seller in this forum.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:08:57 PM by Malhar »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
Yup, another one of those ebay buys. Well at least the fruit tastes good, and if the fruit gets 2X the current size then I will be happy with this one. I like the fruit because of the aroma and flesh is soft and sweet. Too bad it has many seeds, hope my Jalisco & Delores seedless grafts start growing so I can taste a real good fruit and a few years.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:33:09 AM »
I found my tag which said "Indian Red" guava. Still did not find any photo of a red fruit that looks similar to this one.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »
Indian red can be a possibility but they are generally larger than this one.  Tropic Pink may be another possibility as color in first few pictures looks pinkish, they tend to be small and very fragrant. 

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »
It certainly does not look like "Allahabad Safeda" as Safeda means white. Allahabad Safeda is supposed to be white from inside. However, I am no expert in guava and will be curious to see what other opinions are. 
Did you happen to buy it from seller "Guava King" on ebay?  There are reports of misrepresented guava and other fruit trees from this seller in this forum.

as soon as a saw the "Allahabad" with the question mark in the title my first thought was "hmm i bet they bought it from that guy on ebay everyone says is a scammer, and just cut open their fruit expecting something completely different then what they got" 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 07:24:11 PM »
Kaz, I have a seedling that has fruited and was white fleshed with small pear shape. And some were seedless.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 12:20:26 AM »
rdm, yes I did.

Robert, how did your white flesh guava taste?  I have one called Melon guava (tag from nursery) and it has a good guava smell when its ripe and flesh inside is white/yellow but it has seeds which I don't like about it. But so far it's my only guava fruit that tastes good. Here's a few photos if you didn't see it in one of my other posts. I haven't heard of anyone else with this one.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 12:21:55 AM »
I'm hoping my Jalisco  and Delores grafts do good this time. Just got some again from Frank.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk