Author Topic: Is this pandan plant ??  (Read 1194 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Is this pandan plant ??
« on: October 06, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »
Hi, i found this for sale ,the woman thats selling it has labeled it as pandanus. Its kinda variagated, and i did an research and found there is an variegated pandan version.
I just want to know that i am not bying some kind of a decorative grass or smth.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Is this pandan plant ??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »
Looks a lot like it.

If you can see in-person before buying, just break off a leaf, crush it some, and smell. Should emit a jasmine like subtle aroma. If not, then something else.

Otherwise, can she send you a leaf?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »
Looks a lot like it.

If you can see in-person before buying, just break off a leaf, crush it some, and smell. Should emit a jasmine like subtle aroma. If not, then something else.

Otherwise, can she send you a leaf?
Dunno, i havent contacted her yet, i doubth she would send me a leaf, i may just order it anyway, it was not very expensive and i will wait for a few more positive replies to convince me.
Anyway, if it is indeed a pandan will it be bothered by the cooler temps while the courier is delivering it ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:07:13 PM by Plantinyum »

solow

• US, FL, Merritt Island, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
There are many types of pandanus plant, not all of them have fragrant leaves.
From the color of the leaves, i can tell it is not the type used for cooking in my home country.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 11:14:59 PM »
 Certainly not 'pandan'
Peter

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 01:16:08 AM »
Certainly not 'pandan'
Peter
hi ,can u tell me what are the tell tale sighns when reccognising pandan? From the pics on the net it kinda looks verry similar to me ...

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 02:02:51 AM »
Pandan that people use for flavoring is Pandan amaryllifolius. Its a sterile plant that has been propagated primarily by suckers. I dont think it produces viable seeds. Its possible that the plant in the image could be in the same genus Pandanus, but there shouldn't be a variegated version of "pandan" as far as I know. A quick search for variegated pandan gave me some of these results below. Results seem to indicate that the version being sold is not edible.

https://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/screw-pine.html
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pandan

I have a small plant and when crushed, the leaves don't smell too strongly, but for me the scent is a mild cross between coconut and vanilla (without the caramel notes) with a strong grassy overtone. maybe because I keep as an indoor houseplant so it doesn't have the heat needed to develop that strong of a fragrance. I live in a mild cool climate so it can't live outdoors.

If you're looking for anything in the pandanus genus regardless of edibility, then I think that might actually be related. However, since it's probably not edible, for me it might as well be just some kind of a decorative grass.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:10:12 AM by tropic_tester »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 07:29:43 AM »
Pandan that people use for flavoring is Pandan amaryllifolius. Its a sterile plant that has been propagated primarily by suckers. I dont think it produces viable seeds. Its possible that the plant in the image could be in the same genus Pandanus, but there shouldn't be a variegated version of "pandan" as far as I know. A quick search for variegated pandan gave me some of these results below. Results seem to indicate that the version being sold is not edible.

https://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/screw-pine.html
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pandan

I have a small plant and when crushed, the leaves don't smell too strongly, but for me the scent is a mild cross between coconut and vanilla (without the caramel notes) with a strong grassy overtone. maybe because I keep as an indoor houseplant so it doesn't have the heat needed to develop that strong of a fragrance. I live in a mild cool climate so it can't live outdoors.

If you're looking for anything in the pandanus genus regardless of edibility, then I think that might actually be related. However, since it's probably not edible, for me it might as well be just some kind of a decorative grass.

thanks for the detailed information ,and for the link.
I am looking for the edible type, so i will pass the offer....i am constantly looking for locals who sell rare edible tropicals.....

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 08:40:13 AM »
Pandanus is a genus with many species.  Since the common name of the plant you want is Pandan it leads to confusion. The photo posted shows leaves that are a little wider but most important would be the spines on the leaf margin. Edible pandan has very little or no spines.
Peter

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
Pandanus is a genus with many species.  Since the common name of the plant you want is Pandan it leads to confusion. The photo posted shows leaves that are a little wider but most important would be the spines on the leaf margin. Edible pandan has very little or no spines.
Peter
thanks for the clearance !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk